1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crowy

crowy Guest

edit

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2006
  2. crowy

crowy Guest

edit

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2006
  3. crowy

crowy Guest

@theonejrs,
    Thats fair enough I will take your word for it.
    But I think today with the internet being so mainstream,
    all the test/review sites around that cant wait to prove or disprove what Intel has shown so far and the amount of software(and hardware) available today to test what the manufacturers claim, I dont think they could afford to make false claims as there are to many computer savvy people that will be the majority of buyers for these high end CPUs.
    P.S.Don't mention spelling!-)

4. crowy

crowy Guest

Sorry for the triple post!!!
    Not sure what happened,posted a reply and it showed up 3 times??

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,

I don't get the spelling??? I know my spelling isn't great but I'm not a professional web page designer.

Today it's even easier to fool people because every Tom, Dick and Harry that wants to put something on the Internet can. whether it's right or wrong, the truth or a lie. It doesn't matter, most people only need to read it or hear it to believe it. If it's on the TV, in a newspaper or on the internet, they'll believe it. people besides enthusiasts like ourselves just don't know any better and they take full advantage of it to sell crummy stuff to the general public for more money than something really good would have cost. We all know that. That's why we build our own, because we know better!

Having seen the things that went on at the begining of the PC era, nothing surprises me anymore. Tell you a funny. When the 386/16MHz first came out most people believed that I.B.M. would be the first to market them. Compaq in completely secret manuvering, won that war by several months. Talk about raining on I.B.M.'s parade! They were all set to astound the world with this new super computer and Compaq walks in and drops theirs on the table. It was one of the best kept secrets in computer history! $3400 for a 486/16MHz with a full height 40MB IDE drive, 4 megs of static ram and a 12" Green monochrome monitor. In non-Turbo mode it ran at 8MHz. That was like 20 something years ago.

You never know what is going to happen until it happens. If I had a list of all the vaporware, software included, that has been pronised over the years but never delivered, I could lay it out and walk from here to England. I don't mean by fly by night outfits either. Lotus 123 was so long in coming that the first release was not complete and it wouldn't do everything promised. Microsoft was no better either. When Windows 95 was released, Beta versions had been around for quite q while. I bought windows 95 because I liked the beta version. 95 wound up being completely different and not near as good. Even after M$ said that it would be the same only more refined. It wasn't! The point is pre-production stuff, made for shows and things like that but somehow never released to the public abounded in those days. I remember going to the CES the first time and seeing the sales tactics of Intel. A customer would ask about a certain AMD processor and the Intel guys would tell them they were junk and that they wouldn't last even though they knew they were lying as the AMDs were just as good if not better! Nobody sued anybody for slander, it was just the way business was done in those days. Today it's all Silver tongued devils trying to convince you that their product is better even though it often isn't. Today they can lie about their own products and even bad mouth the competition to a degree but don't get caught lying about your competitor's products or you'll wind up in Court for slander! Thank God htose days are over for good!!!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2006
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Theonejrs: Glad things worked out! Lol I'm amazed Intel even spoke about overclocking!

Crowy:
    Yes, yes I do.
    Oh dear. Oh dear indeed, no buying Abit boards any more then!
    Yes indeed they should.
    Vegeta66: Lol, nice try, but even though I'm an AMD supporter that doesn't enthrall me. You could do the same for the lowest of the low graphics card and have just as much good to say about how revolutionary it is. Shops just put maximum amount of shine onto anything to get it shifted.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

baltekmi,

The D805, even at 2.66! There are some things that the single core can do better, even as far as benchmarks go but overall the slowest??? dual-core is still way faster. It's all about thruput. With 2 cores, even slow ones like the D805 at 2.66 you can move more data than a single core, so even if it's clock is slower, it's still faster because you are moving about twice as much data. It's like a 2 lane road vs 1 lane. 2 lanes can move twice as many cars at the same speed than a 1 lane. To speed up the one lane to move as many cars as the 2 lane you would have to double their speed!

Nice MB. Should perform very well. Don't know much about crossfire though and can't find it anywhere for sale yet. Wouldn't do very much for me as I need a parallel port for my old scanner.

Here's one from
    Asus that's under $90. Looks pretty interesting!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131578
    It has the Nfource 4 chipset. ask Sophocles about this chipset as I believe his SLI has it!

This one should be the best of the best if you are willing to pay the $229 for it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131589
    It has the 975 chipset so it should be compatable with the future Conroe! Intel says it will but I'll wait and see

Both handle up to 8GB of memory and I already checked compatability and they are both on Asus's list for the Pentium D and G.

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Put it this way, eventually when dual core enabled apps are about, you're looking at a 5.33Ghz core, albeit a slow one. That's serious competition for a 3.2!
    How do you go about comparing a 939 nForce 4 SLi to a 775 one though?

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,

For a minute there I thought I had pulled a rock so I looked again. Both MBs are socket 775. The Nfource 4 is the Intel Edition!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

11. crowy

crowy Guest

Now at 2650mhz
    CPU temp 24degrees!!(both cores)reading from bios cpu sensor.
    Stock voltage.
    Outside at the moment is about 3 degrees celsius.
    This room is about 4 degrees!!
    The rest of the house is warm but purposely keep this room as cold as possible for the benefit of the computer.

[​IMG]

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, the noble work experiment died this morning. I found out real quick that I no longer have the health to do this 40 hours a week. I guess I'll collect some unemployment and when that runs out, retire! As much as I liked the money, it's no good to me if I croak. I also have the place I used to work wanting me for a couple of 3 days a week, so I won't starve, not to mention I've been pretty busy repairing computers so I'm not lying around doing nothing. Oh well, part of life's balancing act. Less money but more time to spend it!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

13. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31913
    doesn't seen intel isdoing to bad

14. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

theonejrs
    maybe you could become a mod and make the big bucks...I hear they only get a tee shirt though.
    But unemployment+ 3 days work(cash)=$$$
    thats the only time of year i can make some$$$ unemployment and snowplowing(cash).
    I like the abit board, but can't find it for sale...and customer service..no help. THe asus board looks good too. I've alway used Abit. But i have cofidence in abit now. A friend of mine gave me his old compaq. I looked at it and found it had a bad power supply. To make a long story short, I got him a new ps and that one fried. Closer inspection revealed a crack in the mobo right by the power caps! Now this is a 2.4 p-4( Non ht) 80 gig hd dvd burner cd rom and 512 ram. I tell him lets just get a new mobo. he says just keep it for my expence on the ps. So I ordered a new case with ps in it and picked up a asus p4v8x-mx. Slaped it together installed a fresh copy of windows(used his Coa) and this bird flies. Now i am wondering if it can be over clocked?! it runs 10 times better then the original compaq mobo. Well tell me if you think this chip can be oc'd.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

baltekmi,

There's folks in this forum who could OC a gas stove (Pizza in half the time!), so I'm sure you will get some replies to that one. Seriously, if the MB lets you OC then give it a whirl. Just be gentle and kick it up 5% and see how it runs. If that's all good then raise it another 5% and so on. Have fun and enjoy.

By the way did you ever find any info on that Gateway MB? Does the CPU still show 400? I liked the K6-2. It was an excellent chip, especially in laptops. Older Compaq laptops with the K6-2s make a pretty good large screen DVD player and They are pretty easy to work on as well! Cheap used too!!!

Maybe you have see this one but I was in shock. Dell selling AMD 64x2 CPUs! Here's the link but you may have to copy and paste to the address bar. why, I don't know. Dell wouldn't let you copy it from the address bar but you could bookmark it. I typed it manually!
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0558336&cs=198c=us&l=en

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  16. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

theonejrs
    I have not found any info on bios update for the mobo. I looked at it witha fine tooth comb and there seems no way to oc, orup the fsb to 500. But like i said it is running faster and with the 512 in place it is doing a lot better

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

baltekmi,

The FSB is fixed at 100 or 133. what you are looking for is a multiplier. See if you find any jumpers marked x4.0, x4.5 or x5.0. Those would be the 100 bus settings for the 400, 450 or 500MHz cpu. Maybe a x3.0, x3.4 and a x3.75 for the 133 bus which would be the 400, 450 and the 500MHz CPU. Usually these are fairly near the CPU socket, but not always. Sometimes they are located near the case connectors for the power switch, Etc.

By the way, I mentioned overclocking a stove before. I knew a guy once who combined a washing machine and a stove to make it self cleaning. It didn't sell well because it was such a b**ch to get in and out of the dryer!! He He!!!

Hey, it never hurts to look!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

theonejrs , i dont see a price in that dell add ,Intel may really be in trouble is dell dumps Intel for AMDs

19. crowy

crowy Guest

20. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

theonejrs
    cpuz says that the mobo is a allidin5. not much more than that. it post that it it is running at 400 mgz. But with the 512 stick it hums right along.. as much as it can you know.

yea i saw that about amd chip being sold by dell! crazy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.