1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

crowy
    i got the bios updated to the latest release. But i am a abit fanboy, and Iam not familiar with the asus bios on ocing. But It does not matter, now as I sold it already and if they want to oc it well thats up to him. thanks1

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

theonejrs: That's what I meant, how would you compare the nForce 4 intel edition to the nForce 4 AMD edition? Are they just as good?
    crowy: Lol don't freeze yourself. The heatings low in this house because my dad feels hot even when its quite cool, something to do with his MS i think (not Microsoft).
    Theonejrs: SOrry ot hear about your health, but nice to know you're keeping busy.
    Baltekmi: I generally take what I see in the Inquirer with a pinch of salt, but they have provided some external links for us at least. In no way does the AMDZone article inferr that the performance crown lies, or will lie with intel. The Bjorn3D article is more believable. I've no doubt an Abit board runs better than a Compaq, We saw brobear see the same with an Asus over Dell.
    Theonejrs: !!!!!! So Dell are selling X2s. Why? Lol about the stove!
    aabbccdd: They certainly aren't going to dump one for another, just selling them isn't going to be enough. It's when the average Joe's Dimension 3000 comes with a Sempron64 or a Celeron that Intel must panic.
    Baltekmi: That's the great thing with asus boards, you don't have to be familiar with it, they have options to do it automatically for you!

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

sammorris, i did some checking and called AMD and you CAN run a Dual-Core CPU with Windows XP Home with the lastest updates from mircosoft

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh you can run it but can you actually use the other core?

6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Yes it will run BOTH cores ,do some checking if you would like

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,

If you're asking which ones better, the answer is not enough difference to matter! They are both good! Comparing SLI video, Crossfire, whatever is like comparing high end CPUs. Some things one's better. Some things the other. fps is a funny way to judge video as far as I am concerned. Can you tell the difference between say 110fps and 125? I can't!!!

The gamers I know will sit there and argue about their video cards merits till doomsday. They are real proud of their Nvidia or ATi set ups. From what I've seen personally it's a very subjective thing. There's so little difference in what you see! A lot of top gamers chose Intel for their system so it must be pretty good. I think that's why Nvidia came out with the Intel Edition for the Nforce 4. Intel fans wanted Nforce 4 for their MBs and they got it. From what I've seen at lan partys, they all look great. It's funny, I could stand there for hours watching someone play and enjoy it, but I have no interest in playing them. This coming from a guy that loved Mig-29 so much he made custom controls and a seat to match the plane, Split the view 3 ways and ran 3 monitors, Front and both sides! I had a steering wheel and gas pedal for my driving games too. I just lost interest. Once in a while I play Colecovision games. I have an emulator program and most of the roms. I would kill for a rom of Centipede, the only game Atari ever ported to the Colecovision! A scenario then, about as likely as Intel making a CPU for the AM2 today!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

lol true but the difference between 110 and 125 isn't important visually. When you turn things up further it becomes 37 vs 42 and one can actually be a lot more pleasurable than the other. You'd be surprised.
    I'm also a bit of a retrogamer, I use an N64 in the flesh, and play SNES, Genesis (MegaDrive over here) and NES roms from time to time.

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thanks to all who helped reassure me that I was going in the right direction with my latest build. I have everything going now, except for my TV card and an extra HD from my old rig. There was a scare when I put my new XP Media Edition and it wouldn't load, I kept getting the dreaded [bold]NTLDR is missing press Ctl+Alt+Del to restart[/bold] Before the build, I formatted the drive with my XP home on my old rig so on a hunch,I got the original CD out and sure enough it booted. I let it load everything, and when it asked to stop or continue to begin loading windows, I stopped and popped the Media Center discs and problems solved.
    __Sammorris___ no hard feelings on the words you gave that steered me to buy the extra OS. You backed up the words with links and I appreciate the fact you speak up and try to help. I would need the extra OS when I sell my old rig anyway so no harm done.

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh don't worry it's just a suggestion, I'm not bothered about it at all. You were given the facts and you made your choice. SInce I've been part of that choice I'm still gratified.

11. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

If I was the one that caused someone to spend an extra $110 for nothing I'd be so racked with guilt I'd drink so much alcohol I peed myself then attempt to commit Hari- Kari in the shame of dishonoring my family's name.
    Joke, thanks again.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I see, that's one way of putting it. Didn;t bother me until now. Lord knows we don't want to send any more money in Microsoft's direction than is necessary.

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

lol guys i didnt pull the triger and buy XP pro ,so iam good to go with XP home for my AMD Opteron 175 Demark when i get it wow since i dont have to buy XP pro to run it maybe i can sink that extra money i thought i was going to have to spend into a FX-60 LMAO!!!

14. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I admit I may be a noob when it comes to fully utilizing the options and OC'z I now have that Intel boards and chips never gave me, but my new Opteron let me load my programs faster than I could shove a disc in the drive!!!
    Didnt notice a huge gain in perfomance until I Recoded a movie and loaded a drivers disc and checked my messages and the mailbox all at the same time. I can now do 20 things at once without any lag in any window open!!!
    Thanks all again.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hell yes, although your signiature tends to suggest by "Homemade Opteron 175" That you built the CPU from a kit. Might want to be careful with that one!
    Yeah 175s are astounding CPUs, there'll be no stopping you now!

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Deadrum33, are you OC(ing) ?? iam going to have pretty much the same setup soon so maybe you can help me out OC(ing) that AMD Opteron 175 demark

17. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Havent really gotten into changing BIOS options around, but the disc that comes with the mobo has this AI booster program, the click of a button gave me an extra 10% without it. I was used to having to find information on my boads (they were OEM) on the internet, no manuals or support ever came with my other builds: point is there is so much information in the book that comes with it that tweaking it should not be a problem.
    If you don't see me around I'll probably be lurking in the Overclockers thread at Afterdawn. :)

18. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  19. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

deadrum33
    I guess I do not understand the importance of how fast a game loads vs how well it plays. Could you give me some insight as to this?

20. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.