1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,
    Now that's what I call 3-D!!! She is finer than Frog Hair!

PM me an e-mail address and I'll send it to you!

Sammorris,
    I think it's a great move for AMD, especially since ATi makes all the chips and boards and then sells them to other manufacturers who add their own components and sell them under their own Brand names! Think about it, doesn't it seem a bit strange a couple of months ago AMD was working very closely with nVidia? And now they run out and buy ATi, lock stock and barrel!

Oh I don't know! The video card's only controlling about 5.25 million dots, individualy and simutaneously on my screen. Slow? It's amazing it works at all! The vid card is the fastest slow thing on the computer!

Happy Computering,
    theone

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

@redice,
    X2 4200+ is better. Pay attention to the numbers :)

FISHNERD,
    The X800XL is good too. Huge improvement over a 6200TC. If you want to overclock your 3800+ though, make sure you get a good cooler for it or you'll have problems. That's why 2.6GHz is my limit for now. I have a huge passive heatsink with a 120mm fan blowing on it and it works well.

But it's kinda loud. Like I have a big floor fan on low speed inside my case. Good thing I use headphones for gaming. And when I listen to music it's pumped up and shaking the floor anyway.

That system will do you well. But if you can possibly wait a bit you can get an X850XT and have a phenominal improvement over that X800XL.

Instead of a 6800GT equivalent you will have power equal to a 6800Ultra. Trust me, it's worth the wait.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

redice,

Sorry, got lost in thought! Right now I would have to say the 3800+. Amd just gave it a little shot of muscle so it overclocks very well. I think it will overclock better than the 4200 As far as the 2x512 1MB cache vs the 2x1MB 2MB. Look at it this way. My D940 has a 2x2MB 4MB cache and it's marginally faster than the Older D840, that had 2x1 2MB cache memory. We got a guy over at the Hounds that's got a 3800+ running right up there with a seriously overclocked Opteron 175, on air! Somewheres around 2.8GHz I've never heard of a 4200+ coming close to that kind of performance. He may go to water cooling just to see if he can get it to run at 3.0GHz! That would easily beat an FX-60. Unless AMD does the same thing and gives the 4200+ more muscle the 3800+ is your best choice by far! At $169 at Newegg, the 3800+ is $30 cheaper!

I know someone here said the 4200+ is the better chip, and a few months ago they would have been right. now if you're buying for stock speeds then the 4200+ is for you. if however you plan to overclock then the 3800+ is the better chip. The 4200+ can't hang with the 3800+ when you overclock it!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

do we have a amd price cut yet guys??

5. crowy

crowy Guest

theonejrs,
    I would agree with that.I too haven,t seen a 4200 hit 2.8ghz as yet(not saying there isnt any,just haven't seen one).

6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

7. dazila

dazila Regular member

Im with intel all the way since my p1 in 1995 still today evry computer that ive had was intel ive used amd dont see much difference but in my oppinion intel makes more relaible chips

8. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

Pstt.. O..kk....
    The X850XT has 256mg 256bit... this one has 512mg 256bit and this one has 16pipelines... plus vivo... So how is the X850XT better?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

that monitor is awesome value, fihsnerd, go for it! Video isn't anything spectacular but it is also great value (I don't say that because I own an X1900, I say that because the X800XL doesn't really need 512MB of memory, and that version has the needless two-slot cooler) It will certainly injure a 6200, but an X850XT would remove both its arms.

All the 4200+ is better than the 3800 for is the clock speed, so if you're OCing, what's the point? 3800s now have better stepping.

dazila: sorry, but rubbish. They're both reliable.

Fihsnerd: The X850XT has much faster core and memory speeds, and is a newer design. It generally runs far far better.

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

The X850XT has much higher clocks and 16 pipes as well. The core is just better designed. The 512MB vs 256MB doesn't make a very big difference as the X850XT has so much more pure horsepower.

Trust me man. You'll get a far bigger improvement than you think :)

11. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

R U sure?
    i can get it.. but i will have to wait longer for the other..
    and they may be the same as far as DDR3 and 16pipes and 256bit, but the X850XT is better?
    wont the X800XL help better later on because of the extra 256mg? and i can always overclock it to the X850XT speeds right?

12. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

Hey enthusis, i have been running this at 2.6 for a day and a half now with no errors in super pi.. i really dont see the difference other than a 150mghz increase in the other core and the 256mg difference..

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

FIHSNERD,

The X850 XT is just about the best video card on the planet for the money, even better than the one I bought.

BTW, this monitor is a better buy at $119 because it has a $30 mail in rebate making it $179. No problems with the rebate either! I have a Sceptre 20.1 widescreen and it's the best!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824112002

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  14. redice

redice Regular member

@theonejrs

i normally do stick with the stock speeds of the chip but have been thinking about getting in to overclocking. so it looks like if i ever want to OC then i should get the 3800+ chip.

@sammorris

hows the 4200 chip?

15. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

Yeah, i know... i just dont like the design, and the X850XT is on track with the X800XT 512mg...... even if i overclock the 800?
    i dont want to spend the extra money if i dont have to..

16. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2006
  17. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

OK.. in the card is the X850XT the Hanns-G 19" Widescreen, and my optical mouse.. :) i am using trackball right now.. :(

AM I READY?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

fihsnerd (from earlier): no and no, the X800XL won't OC much at all, and the X850XT is just pure awesome in comparison.
    redice: You're exactly right about the 3800. How is my 4200? It's just absolutely amazing. The things I can do now I wouldn't dream of before!
    Fihsnerd again: Sounds about right, sure on the monitor though? The Sceptre will be better, and 19" widescreen? 1440x900 is even harder to get supported than 1680x1050. I'd only be confident in the sceptre adequately displaying an image that isn't the correct res. I know theone's X20G will do it fine, but most LCDs are terrible at it. 1440x900 ain't going to be there in games...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  19. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So canada is also cheaper than the UK for tech stuff. Dang. Mind you, $192 CA works out at £91, so adding VAT you get £107 - given that in the UK it's about £110, that's not too bad, just VAT being added.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.