1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crowy

crowy Guest

theonejrs,
    LOL!!
    Well just got totally p****d off with waiting for the tuniq to be available so sent an email to Nintek here in Perth on availability of a Thermaltake big typhoon/TEAM Xtreem PC4000 Hermes TCCD 1GB Kit (2x512Mb 1024Mb) DDR500 CL2.5-3-3-6 and arctic silver5.
    Just got this reply from them:

PATIENCE, WTF!!! I have no patience left!!!!!
    Tonights going to be a very heavy night.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2006
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy.
    I just wound up with an Arctic Freezer Pro 7, completely by accident. It was supposed to be for a socket 478, but because of a misprint, it was for socket 775. Rather than ship it back, I pulled the Zalman 9500 off of my D940 and put it on the Prescott.

Here's my Idle temp in a 23C room!

[​IMG]

Here's fully loaded!

[​IMG]

These temps just amaze me. That's 6 to 8C lower than the Zalman 9500!

Want to be even more amazed? Check the temps at idle in a 33C/83F room!

[​IMG]

Sophocles said that my Thermal sensor has gone bad but my buddy brought over an Optris laser reading thermal probe. It has 3 lazer beams which adjust from inches to about 15 ft. Just adjust till there's only one spot and take it's temperature. You can do this right through the side window on my case! According to the Optris, there's about 1C difference between it and the AsusProbe!

Needless to say, I'm pretty impressed with the Freezer Pro 7 !

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

tocool4u: Lol there was no need to send us all that! It's still alright, but single cores are starting to look a little on the old-fashioned side.
    Crowy: Right on. But for someone new to OCing, I think he may be best off just not upping the voltages at all to start with. If you are to OC though, even I'd say 3800, despite buying a 4200. Still no Tuniq? All I'd say is um, buy a Zalman? :D :D
    Team Xtreem? Now I've heard it all.

Baltekmi: Last time I checked there was no Athlon 3300, possibly a sempron, but $19.99? Pff, yeah right! There's one A in Athlon btw, and AMD is in capitals, since it's a TLA (Three letter acronym).
    Theone: Yeah the AC Freezers are amazing, and I still would have got one had they been in stock for my X2, but they weren't so Zalman it was.

4. crowy

crowy Guest

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh I don't doubt their quality and performance, especially with Samsung chips in them, but the name is just corny beyond belief!

6. crowy

crowy Guest

7. crowy

crowy Guest

Nearly forgot,once these chips are installed I can then download a TCCD chip optimized bios from DFI!!!
    HOW F*****G cool is that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Told you it's gonna be a heavy night tonight!!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol that's not how I initially interpreted the expression!

9. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

FIHSNERD,
    When you get that 850XT installed lets see some 3DMarks for it from 3DMark03, not 06. I would be interested in your results compared to my new 800 Pro 8x AGP.

Happy Computering,
    theone

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I would post my 3DMark03 score of 15,430 but I've just realised I left Anisotropic filtering at 16x HQ so I'll have to turn that off and retest!

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

17148. That's better!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,

Smart A$$! He! He!

H C,
    theone

15. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

As usual I have a late comment,

theonejrs,

I've been a big fan of Arctic Coolings products. I put a Freezer 64 Pro on my 4200 and it's done an amazing job keeping temps down. Plus it was a bargain at $35 :)

I also have an Arctic Cooling Accelero X1 on my overclocked 6800GS and it knocked 20ยบ off my full load temps. Not bad and also a bargain at $35 :)

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Nephilim,
    Hey. as a Mod, you are a busy man!

I bought the Freezer 7 Pro on sale at Newegg for $25 with free shipping! Nothing was changed in my computer but the CPU cooler. Someone at another forum saw my 33C CPU and the 42C MB temps in a 33C room and insists that the thermal sensor on my MB is bad as the CPU should be hotter than the MB! I checked it with a very expensive Optris Thermal Probe and the temps are almost spot on. I was informed by this person that he didn't care what I tested it with, the thermal sensor on my CPU is bad! The Optris doesn't agree and neither do I! I even went so far as to measure the temperature of the air coming out of the case fan and the power supply and the temps are mid 30s!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I believe you! Amazing though it is, what is it at with full load for a few hours?

18. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

Thats fine on the Hyper.. i was about to ask that exact question.. :)

and that drops a couple dollars of me tab.. i ordered my monitor and mouse today.. it will be here thursday, and i am going to be getting in the X850XT next week.. its a 2 week rebate crap.. :(

19. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

Aurg.. it is really expensive on shipping... it is 15 dollars just for the shipping which makes it more expensive than the Erenmax.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, but more watts! LOL. They are heavy buggers though, which is always a good sign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.