1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crowy

crowy Guest

@FIHSNERD,
    The Hiper power supplies are known as one of the best psu's out there today.What's also comforting to know is their psu specs are actually underated,not overated,so what you get is a psu that will perform above the manufacturers specs.As sammorris said if it's heavy thats a good sign.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, most 580W Hiper Units will shut down at around 630W (safely, I might add) This makes them good enough for hardcore dual core and SLi setups, although for Quad SLi you may want to reach a bit higher for the next generation. Two 7950GX2s it could probably handle, but that's about the limit. Fortunately the 7900GT being quite efficient makes the 7950GX2 very little more power hungry than a 7800GTX.

3. crowy

crowy Guest

Just got this email from Nintek,

Hi Steve
    >
    >$15.95 insured for delivery
    >
    >Typhoon in stock, arctic in stock
    >
    >Hermes due back in on ~Tuesday pending customs.
    >
    >
    >Nintek Sales Team

My patience has nearly expired:(

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My patience did expire, so I changed my order to fit! LOL

5. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,
    LOL! I know what you mean!!

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,
    I ran it for 17.5 hours running Prime95 and it never broke 50C!

Too Cool (pun intended)

Happy Computering.
    theone

7. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

Sam, i hate you... i just did pc mark and i got..... :( 2228.. and i am not missing any didgets... :....( Aurggg... that really sucks.....

O well it serves my purpose..

i can get that and the X850XT.. or do yall have a better idea.. i will consider any ideas... i could get the X1800GTO2 which is an underclocked X1800XT and flash it over to the X1800XT.. but i would only have like 30 bucks for a ps.. i dont think the molex adaptor would do me..... but what do yall think?

and tomorrow is conroe... !!! :)

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

FIHSNERD,
    If you are running 3DMark06, that's good. If you are running 3DMark03, then that's not too good. Mine runs right around 2000 with 3DMark06. Some people think I like it because it makes my machine look better, but I like it because it's scale is broader and easier to see the effect of even small changes!

Happy Computering,
    theone

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Sammorris, late post. But 17148pts on 03? Weird. I got somewheres around 18500. I think it's OC time for you :) Take 'er up to 2.4 or 2.5 and retest and you'll for sure see a large improvement.

You should be blowing me away for sure. 20000 atleast.

10. dazila

dazila Regular member

k i just rememberd that when i was upgrading my processor i did buy a 3800+ x2 2.0ghz 64bit cause the guy said it is much quicker then a 3.0ghz p4 k then i got home turned it on took bout 5minutes to strt up then i tried to install my keyboard drivers wit the disc 5 min after 3% of a 10mb instalation!!!!!!!!!! then it crashed restarted n just made a contnous beeping noise that never stoppped took it to the store fixed it got home nothing again did this 4 4 more timmes ntil the guy at the shop that recommended me this crap said y not just try the 3.4ghz HT p4 with another motherboard so he changed it 4 free cause the otha one didnt work he changed the MB too cause tat was an ATI that supported amd's only he did it all for no extra charge and never ever had i had any problems, so i will be supporting intel even if the company dosent exist in 10 years and this is enough to mock amd forever sorry etahusis for saying this but this was true for me if it were to happen to u would eva buy an amd again? i said this cause in the last forum u got bak straight sayin intel is not good

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  11. crowy

crowy Guest

@dazila,
    Did you remember to install the memory???!!!LOL.

12. dazila

dazila Regular member

Yes i did cause it did work 4 bout 10minutes the first time

not a problem anymore my p4 is doing as well as a "3800 should be"

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Ooooh, bad luck for you!

14. crowy

crowy Guest

@dazila,
    Could have been the chip or the board,it happens,whether AMD or Intel.Did you use the same memory on both boards?Could have also been a memory compatibility issue with the AMD board.

15. crowy

crowy Guest

dazila,Noticed in your sig:
    2176 mb ddr2 how do you have 2176mb ram?
    Just worked it out,1024+1024+128?
    Is it running dual channel?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2006
  16. dazila

dazila Regular member

1x1gbmb 2x512mb 1x128mb ( dont no y i got it just waste of my 4th slot )

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

FIHSNERD: not PCmark, 3dmark, there's a diference. You should be looking at at least 5 figures in 3dmark03.
    Estuansis: Not really, your X2 is 2600 and 3dmark is quite CPU weighted, me being only at 2200mhz would mean I should score lower and I do. The X1900XT is very good but it's not enough abvoe an X850XT to overcome your singificantly faster clocked CPU.

dazila: I would buy an AMD becasuse you obviously had a faulty motherboard, IT IS ALMOST NEVER THE PROCESSOR. Funnily enough everybody I know who has an AMD has had no problems with that part of their system, neither did you. That RAM setup just proves you have no idea about these matters. Your system would run better without that 128MB chip in, and probably better still with just the 1GB chip, seriously. Having a matches set of 1GB sticks in there would be more expensive, but not by very much, and it would run so much better.

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

sammorris,

That's what I said. OC your CPU a bit and give it another test. My much higher clocked CPU does indeed give me an advantage even with your faster video.

Even with a lower ceiling than my 3800+ you should easily be able to hit 2.4 or 2.5GHz with that 4200+. Try it because you're only running two 3500s right now. Not very powerful. But I'm using a close match to two 4000s and I've got power to spare.

It's worth it. Just be careful :)

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not very powerful?
    NOT VERY POWERFUL?

I've mentioned around I'm actually holding off on the OC for now, it's fast enough, and being a prebuild it could do without lots of warranty expirations. I may try it a bit later on in its life once I'm at university but not this early.

In other news, I have the pricing of both Conroe and post-price-drop AM2 chips from one of my local suppliers. From these I've made a calculation.

If the 1866mhz E6300 is level with the 3800+ it needs to be 45% faster to be better value
    If the 2133mhz E6400 is level with the 4200+ it needs to be 38% faster to be better value
    If the 2400mhz E6600 is level with the 4600+ it needs to be 48% faster to be better value
    If the 2666mhz E6700 is level with the 5000+ it needs to be 84% faster to be better value
    If the 2933mhz X6800 is to be compared with the FX62, it needs to be 33% faster to be better value.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.