1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The grain of salt isn't, the price cuts have been made and at a few places, the reduced chips are in stock!

X2 3800+: Previously £180 now £110
    X2 4200+: Previously £240 now £140
    X2 4600+: Previously £350 now £170
    X2 5000+: Previously £500 now £225!!!
    FX-62 has also dropped a bit from £750 to £550.

2. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

sammorris
    maybe value is not all there is. stock, the 6300 conroe outbenches the fx 64 55. check out tom's hardware amoung others you the benches. But yes for value, all of a sudden you can do a super build with either amd or intel chips with the falling prices!

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah for sure, but if THG's prelim benches for conroe are accurate, and they eventually become available, I may just make a second folding system out of one, they look awesome!

4. crowy

crowy Guest

dazila,ok, remove the 1024mb chip and the 128mb chip.Put one of the 512mb chips in slot one and the other 512mb chip in slot three.At the moment you will be running 2t as opposed to 1t and single channel not dual channel..You will find everything will be faster.
    Iv'e got a feeling when you had that AMD set up,only the 128mb chip was being recognized,that explains why it was so slow especially if you have a lot of programs running at startup.

5. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

Hey guys, i got my monitor in today, and it kicks ass... i am so impressed by the size of it...

i am going to order the rest of my stuff later. have u guys herd of e buyer? i saw the website when i was on price grabbers... they are cheaper than new egg on some things.....

6. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

i re did my score after i got my lcd in digital and it was 2232.. :) DVI really does help.. :)

ok...

KOOL... when is conroe comming out? :p

7. crowy

crowy Guest

The nVENTIVCooling System is capable of cooling a CPU with full load down to approximately –45 degrees. The low temperature makes it possible to gain a large extra CPU Performance. The system is both advanced and simple at the same time. While allowing easy assembling, the basic technology behind the principles is very advanced. The Cooling System consists of several key elements (see below) and they all play their part in the cooling process. The most advanced component is the micro freezer. The micro freezer is what makes cooling of CPUs attractive because it insures extra performance with out compromising the stability. The 'engine' in the cooling process is the condensing unit. The condensing unit is located under the Enlight cabinet, making the Prometeia easy to transport and much more stable when placed.

Full story here:
    http://kit-tronics.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=3019

8. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

crowey
    Seems to be a very expensive AIR CONDITIONIER! It would be easier to run a tube from one of the ac outlets.. will do the same job!

9. crowy

crowy Guest

@baltekmi,
    Thats true,
    but you would need 2 tubes, one to cool the cpu and one to extract any humidity out of the case,and our air conditioner is about 10 metres from the computer so 20 metres of tubing running through the house probably wouldn't impress the wife.Plus the power bill would go through the roof!!LOL.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

baltekmi,
    Not even close. Air coming out of an air conditoner is around 55F. This thing cools the CPU to -45! It doesn't make any heat in a normal sense. Heat removal is different. That's why we need good coolers. You take the CPU down to -45 and there is no heat to speak of. It's there but it's gone so quickly the sensor doesn't know that it's there!

You could achieve better results with Liquid Nitrogen, but the pressures caused by having a boiling point of around -213F would make it a very hazardous method. You would need some very heavy pipe, indeed. The environment around you would be another consideration too as the whole room would get very cold. The piping would have to be wrapped in heavy layers of insolation, or they would find you in the morning frozen to your desk! That's some very cold stuff!

Happy Computering,
    theone

11. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

Hi all,

I noticed aside from the price that they are also out of stock.Is there that much demand for this product and who aside from a very wealthy overclocking fanatic would have use for it?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

FIHSNERD: Yeah ebuyer have a very strong newegg-like presence in the UK, and they are in the US but not so popular,they are very cheap. Conroe has come out, but you can't buy one because of availability problems, no such issue from AMD!
    Crowy, baltekmi: Or you could justhave a well set-up case with a good cooler, and save a fortune, getting almost the same result! Heat is rarely the issue with many overclocks, especially not with Conroes, 65W must make them cool as ice now coolers have been made to deal with the 130W from smithfields!!

Theonejrs: Lol I foolishly assumed 45 was celsius! That's insane, 8ºC. What's the point?

Boxwrench: Let's just say most of us are happy with our Zalman coolers, and lots of us are overclocking fanatics!

13. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

sammorris,

I'm not quite a fanatic...yet,but I am working on it!LOL!
    As for cooling I think I'll give one of those Artic freezers a try,I've heard some good things about them and for $25.00 they seem to be a good deal.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They're awesome, if I only I could have had one!

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

FIHSNERD,
    At those temps, electrons move very fast when excited. That's why Supercomputers have super cooling like that, only much colder! They also have some pretty impressive plumbing coming out of the case!

My New Arctic Freezer 7 Pro will do me nicely! The Zalman 9500 will do nicely for the Prescott as well!

Happy Computering,
    theone

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Russ what do you think is a better cooler the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro or the Zalman 9500 or would you say there about equal

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Performance they're probably quite similar, but the Arctic will be quieter methinks.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

boxwrench,
    There's some people at another forum who tell me my MB sensors are bad. I got the Arctic because of a misprint and rather than go through the bother of sending it back I switched from the Zalman 9500 to the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro in my D940. I didn't touch a thing other than the cooler. When I turned it back on and let it run for a while, my CPU temp was around 32C which was about 10C lower than with the Zalman. It one time touched 50C loaded at 100% CPU usage.

Right now it's idling at 26CPU/35MB. We had a power outage a few days ago so the air was off for a while. When the power came back on, it was pretty warm in here. 27C to be exact! I was seeing 27/39. Doing a burn in at 100% it was 45/40!

After a couple of days the thermal grease (AS5) gets worked into the nooks and crannies between the heat shield and the substantially hefty solid copper CPU heat sink, so coolers usually get a few degrees better after a few days of use so now I was seeing 27/37. I cut off the air and let the room and the computer warm up. I kicked the big fan to top speed and was seeing 33/42. I think the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro is an excellent cooler! I think the range on the MB temp sensor is poor at best. Just to be sure I took the temp of the air coming out the back of the computer and it was 33C at the case fan and 36C at the power supply at 27C room temp. No problems with heat in this computer.

Another thing that gets me is people complain about it's noise. Maybe it's because I sit 3 feet away from the side Window fan, but I don't hear any difference between the Arctic and the Zalman. I can still hear the video card's fan spool up every so often while playing games. I got mine for $25 and I may just by the right model for the Prescott as well. Buy One!

Happy Computering,
    theone

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,
    Great minds think alike. See my answer to boxwrench!

theone

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Absolutely. A 40s temperature at full load for a dual core chip is excellent work, especially if it's quiet enough to hear GPU fan activity. I can, but then my GPU is one of the noisiest on the market! Doesn't make many odds though, since my case is fairly well ventilated, it doesn't ever reach the maximum speed it spins at on startup, that's extreme!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.