1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I am well aware of the operation limitations of PSUs. I also understand that temps over the safe limit of a component will degrade it severely.

The thing is that you are having different problems if your system is running on max load above 134*F. Better cooling is in order for sure.

@ crowy,
    Even at max CPU load my rig hits about 450W. So If my 620W Enermax Liberty isn't good enough then you, my good sir,... are a poopie head.(Oh, burn!)

But seriously, that 1KW PSU is amazing. Has individual testing and 15 drive out-puts. That's serious enthusiast fair right there.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just to add my $0.02, the Hiper 580W units that we advocate on aD, although they are mopdular, they use gold-plated aviation-grade connectors, so they don't suffer from the resistance and poor connectivity problems that other modular units suffer from!

3. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

ok because i was wondering about that...
    :)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As long as you buy a decent unit, you don't have any connectivity woes to worry about.

5. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

All u amd lovers.ha ha intel is the best.Intel have a new processor called intel core 2 extreme which embarasses the athloan 64 FX by a great deal.

6. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

He_Man ---This is how you act when your mom lets you on the computer?

7. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

@He_Man- it also costs 400 dollars cdn. more than the fx-62

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

lol boxwrench exactly what i was thinking he must be 14 or something.amd has 80% of the market share and is going to remain strong. sure the new Intel Conroe is going to be a great chip but with the amd price drops (the 3800x2 being 169.00 dollars) they will be in good shape .early 2007 when the amd 3s hit the market should be interesting

9. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

lol so its about money on having a great chip now then next year.You are all just probably jealous that intel is the best

10. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Ah, but one thing to remember if it wasn't for AMD Intel would still have the market and you wouldn't be able to afford that new processor. My little 2 cents but after health care costs a 1/2 cent Chris

11. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

yes i would. :)

If they charged that much for it and had all the market.The government would get involved.Same thing happened with microsoft being an "illegal monopoly" in 98.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ChrisC586,
    That's a pretty good performance ratio! LOL

Happy Computering,
    theone

13. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

The AMD processors are dropping their picess very quickly at newegg, just yesterday the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor was $199.00 and now its $179.00 (open box).

I will wait another day to see what it drops to and pick one up.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

He_Man,
    Please! If the government (aka:the FFG) gets involved we will have $2000 CPUs and $10,000 computers. Every time the government sticks their nose into something, it winds up costing more, so please don't be giving them anymore bright ideas!

Happy Computering,
    theone

15. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

lol yeah.I hate the government

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

good point Russ LMAO!!!!

17. boxwrench

boxwrench Guest

@theone,

Well,I suppose whenever the price is back at $25.00 or lower.

I'm still running the prescott @3.6ghz. and it's been getting quite a workout,while encoding dvds the temp will shoot up around 50c and after the task is completed it drops back to around 40c. I am interested in seeing what kind of a difference the Freezer will make during idle as well as under heavy use.

My 3800x2 (now running @2.6ghz)exhibits almost identical temps. both during idle as well as in heavy use,so I am hoping the "Freezer" will help me there as well.
    For those prices I don't think I will be disappointed especially since the Freezers are supposed to be a bit less noisey than what I am using at the moment.

So,yes! If you spot the Freezer 64 on sale,I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

Thanks,B.W.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

LOL he hasn't even got the name right! Dude, do us a favour and be quiet, unless you can say why "intel are best".

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

It all depends on how much money you have I guess.

Sometimes when I talk about my "life savings" I sound big-headed but I am not trying to. I'm just sort of proud of my system and that I got the best price/performance ratio possible at the time. Even when I got my X2 3800+ at around $300 it was still a good deal compared to anything intel was offering. The Conroe might be a good chip but will the performance match the price? I think not.

And I repeat, the Conroe doesn't have so big an advantage over AMD that some stepping and clockspeed improvements won't fix it handily. Maybe even 2 x 2MB cache won't be out of the question. Even then, the cheaper Core processors will still be competing with intels other stock and AMD's dual and single cores. It's not as huge a threat to AMD as some people make it sound like.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    It was the same for me at the time. The D940 gave me the most bang for the buck being more than $60 cheaper than the x2 3800+. Asus P5P800 SE motherboard and the Intel D940 came to under $375 including tax and shipping!

I just took it up to 3.86. Not bad for a 3.20, especially since I've tightened up the memory settings a bit. Here's the math bench.

[​IMG]

And the memory bandwidth.

[​IMG]

I think it's looking very good. Right up there in x2 4800+ country. I may try 3.90 tomorrow!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.