1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

for all u computing building wizkids.Theres a really good pc magazine called custompc which in the latest issue builds a windows vista capable pc for £250.Interesting.Also advertises parts,computers and laptops at good prices.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Vista capable machines aren't hard. Fully Vista Compliant PCs are what cost the money.

3. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

you cant go wrong though with £250.Its running windows vista beta 2 not just capable of.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, I could easily build a PC capable of running Vista for very little All you really need is a 64-bit CPU, 1GB of RAM and a proper graphics accelerator. Thinking of an X800GTO, 1GB Corsair Value Stuff and a Sempron64, those three would be maybe £180, cheapo case, PSU and opticals could make the PC £260 tops including a keyboard and mouse, and that'd be fully vista compliant!

5. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

ha ha.still not £250 :)

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I've been running Vista beta on a P4 2.26 with Rambus PC800 memory, (my workbench PC.)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You don't get it, that will be fully vista compliant, stage 3 of 3, versus just vista capable (stage 1 of 3) - aeroglass, 64-bit processing, THE LOT.

8. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

yes.thanks man youve earned me a nice little earner.Theyre was a competition to see who can make a fully vista compliant pc under £250.
    Ill be on my way to pc world with £1000 :)

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmmm, but me? I'll stick to my high performance unit thanks!

10. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

ok.think ill buy the AR11S :)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

12. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

bloody hell.what a quick reply(you dont get service that often on ad)

The new sony vaio AR11S.which is the king of all laptops just now.It has everything(blu ray drive,digital tv tuner,bluetooth integrated)
    intel core duo 2.0ghz.u not think pm's would have been better for this discussion?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Could be but the goodness of the Core Duo still counts. A blu-ray laptop? Necessary? Absolutely not!!!! LOL I bet that's a handsome waste of money!

14. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

actually £1400.we will all need blu ray sometime and i wont to keep ahead of the times.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pff, so do I but I only bought this knowing I'd use its power straight out of the box, FEAR at 1600x1200 anybody? I know I won't use Bluray for a good year so I'll wait until then, and probably a bit longer before making enquiries about fitting a BR-RDL drive to my PC. Bearing in mind I may also need an HD-DVD drive! In all honesty, I prefer having an external hard drive. I have two external Serial ATA ports on my PC, so I can connect up to two external drives via the S-ATA II 3Gbps interface! Not to mention firewire, Gigabit LAN and good 'ole USB2. All preferable to making BR discs imho. You can't lose or scratch an HDD as easily as a DVD!

16. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

there is so much stuff coming out at one point in time.Not to mention MRAM

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And yet, for the most part I don't really care for it, because it's all very well information being posted about this that and the other doing this that and the other, but had you bought an AGEIA PhysX card, you'd be pretty pissed off about how little it does so long after it's release at a high cost. I look into things in detail before deciding whether they're really needed, and although I'm told off time and time again for it, I still see dual graphics as a bit gimmicky, not useless by any means, but limited. The untrained eye may look at my PC spec and think it "top of the line" but far from it. This was £1250, and should really have been less if i got my original graphics card choice. Top of the line is £3000 plus, but for what? This can do almost anything a £3000 machine can do! I saw no need for a CPU faster than this one, and when I got this, X2s went up in price steeply! I went for 2GB of RAM not 4 because as yet that's pointless, an X1900XT not an X1900XT-X for the same reason, a 37GB raptor rather than a 150 for the same reason, a 250GB Barracuda rather than a 500 for the same reason, and a Zalman 7000 over a 9500 for the same reason and more (mostly weight concerns). I also got a £17 sound card because it's sufficient. I still use a CRT monitor for that reason too!

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

He-Man your sig it to big read this

Signatures

These rules exist to make viewing the forum as pleasant as possible to all users. Even though you might think signatures with large pictures look cool, some might find them extremely annoying.

1. Text-only signatures should have at most 5 lines of text.

2. An image-only signature should be less than 50kb in size, and be at most 500 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall.

3. If you use an animated picture in the signature, it should not be too distractive. Eg. blinking images or images with quick movement are not allowed.

4. If you want to use both text and image in your signature the image should not be more than 500 pixels wide and 100 pixels tall, and you can use up to three lines of text.

5. All the abovementioned rules for forum posts apply also to the signatures.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,

Well I've gone and done it again. I'm now at 3.90 stable! I've thrown everything I can think of at it with no glitches or errors!

Here's the benches for my 22% OC.

Math.

[​IMG]

Memory Bandwidth

[​IMG]

And Multi-media

[​IMG]

If all runs well over the next day or so, I'm gonna try for 4.0!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  20. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Whats that? I hear thunder coming.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.