1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crowy

crowy Guest

@theone,
    I don't mind the cold,although 13 degrees compared to this room on a good day is quite warm!!On some mornings Iv'e seen it @ 2degrees celsius.This big typhoon is impressing me by the way.Before I installed it,with a room temp of 14 degrees, cpu at idle was 31.Now with the room
    1 degree cooler I'm down to 21.Thats 10 degrees difference and the arctic silver isn't even 24 hours old yet!
    I also took a temp reading a few days back in the afternoon.The room was at 21 degrees and the cpu was at 38 degrees so when this room hits 21 I'll check the cpu temp again.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,

Where on earth do you live? 2C is just a mite cold as in Brrrrrrrrr...! Your temps at 38C for the proc are a little more realistic. My Prescott in a 22C room idles at 42C with a very mild 5% OC! Stock it idles about 38C to 40C. It's going to my roomate as soon as I get the new MB from Asus. The reason for the mild OC is his part of the house has no AC and it hits 110F+ in the summertime here (So Cal.). Even with the zalman I don't want to push it, especially since it will be much faster than his Dell Precision 420 PIII 1GHz, so speed won't be an issue to him. I've got it cobbled up right now with a 12GB Quantum "Bigfoot" drive in it so I can use it! Hopefully, this week!

Happy Computering,
    theone
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Vote for Bunny for World Dominator

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  3. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    It's winter here now so yes it does get cold.We usually have maybe 7 nights(sometimes more sometimes less) of minus 1 to minus 4 degrees over the winter period.Here's last moths temps:
    [​IMG]

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,

Where I come from (Northern New Jersey), It gets down to -31C in the winter and 40C+ in the summer. The last winter I lived there was the so called "Blizzard of 96"! We had so much snow piled up it didn't all melt until July! Only the second time I ever saw snow still around in July in my life! Of course it snowed 18" May 22, and that didn't help at all!

Doing a new build right now. Customer bought a MB/CPU combo from Tiger Direct and then called me to put it together. Biostar GeForce6100-M9 Socket 939 with an Athlon 64 3200+ Clawhammer. Not much of a challenge but I charge $200 for something like this. His case, HD, PS and DVD. Hey, it's a living! $149 for the MB & CPU. Not too bad!

Happy Computering,
    theone

5. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    -31c!! That makes 13 degrees look like a heatwave!
    $200 to put that together?Do you need a hand?LOL!!
    We get 40+ degrees here also in the summer.I think last summer we hit 46 degrees.

I'm going to try yet another bios (510-2)which is also a TCCD optimized bios.This one's recommended when running the memory @ DDR600+.Also have to swap the sticks from slots 1 and 3 to slots 2 and 4.

p.s. How did you like the pics of the transplant?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2006
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    Very nice and colorful indeed! The Big Typhoon looks huge and heavy. I'm finding the Arctic Freezer series to be very good so I'm going to get a few for stock. I'll tell you better how good they work when I get my new MB from Asus and put my D940 back together. So far I am pleased with it's results, and the price right now is very good!

I hate doing these kind of builds because you always need something and they never want to pay for extra's. He needs a 24 pin PS and he wants to buy a $20 450 Watt PS. We went a little round and round about it, so I told him that he purchased these parts and that the only good thing he bought was the CPU! I also pointed out that on my Invoice it says I am only responsible for the parts that I provide and that any parts provided by the customer are only guaranteed to be installed correctly. It's almost boring work (but it pays well)!

Oh well, office machines are never OC'd and usually aren't very sophisticated. But then again, how much do you need to run word processing, spreadsheets and Quickbooks?

BTW did you see the prices on the 6300 & 6400 Conroes at Newegg? $249 for the 6300 and $299 for the 6400. I can buy a 64x2 4600+ AM2 for the price of the 6300! Either Newegg is gouging or Intel raised it's price to them. This whole Conroe deal just plain stinks and I hope it backfires right in Intel's face. I see a lot of people in other forums that were planing a Conroe build but spent their money on AMDs because they couldn't get a Conroe and got tired of all the waitiing and then being disappointed. Rumor has it that Dell is going to miss out on the bulk of "back to school" sales of computers because they can't get any of the mid range CPUs. Rumor has it that Dell is going to supply higher end D900 series with a promised upgrade to the Conroe on their higher end computers, when available!

Intel has a history of not being ready at intro time as far back as the 486, so there's nothing new with the latest fiasco. The only reason they give dates is to try to hurt AMD's sales. AMD's just all smiles and selling lots of processors while the faithful sit there burning, waiting on the Conroe! The difference this time is there are plenty of AMDs to go around and at good prices too!

BTW! Very nice numbers, very nice indeed. 6402 got a 6300 Conroe so we will finally get to see what one can do in the hands of a very skilled overclocker! Stay Tuned!

Happy Computering,
    theone

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

13C is ridiculous, even I'd freeze at that temperature! Congrats on booting at 3Ghz, but be careful with such a high voltage, that system won't last very long at that setting. The conroe fiasco is annoying, and I'm tired of everyone pronouncing Intel the winner when supply is still so short.

8. CODO69

CODO69 Guest

My job is getting rid of the Emachines T2341 Comp with a mother board that has a 2400 AMD processor. I have the next model up (T2385) With the Intel 2.3 Ghz processor. I also have 1 gig of memory, now which one would work better with my 1 gig?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What are the machines? If the 2.3 is a P4 Northwood then use that, but if the Intel machine's a celeron you may be better with the AMD, depending what that is. If it's a Sempron then the celeron may be mildly better, but if it's an Athlon XP then it'll be better.

From best to worst:

P4 Northwood 2300mhz
    Athlon XP 2400+
    Celeron 2300mhz
    Sempron 2400+

10. crowy

crowy Guest

I think AMD has a plan.
    Drop the prices across the range to entice people to buy AMD while intel gets it's S**T together.
    By the the time that happens everyone will be sitting back in front of there AMD powered pc's because they were sick of waiting.Then Intel will have to drop the price of there conroe's to get sales,at which time the first quarter of 2007 will be getting near,there will be the pre-release benchmarks and the release date for AM3 will be announced.AMD will by then have tested,tortured and generally given many conroe chips a complete flogging,while at the same time fine tuning and tweaking there new AM3 cores to pip conroe at the post so to speak.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shame AM3 will be so much later than first imagined though, from Q1 2007 to Q2 2008 is a big pushback. I imagine when Brisbane arrives in the autumn AMD's pace will pick up though, and I suppose there's a big question over how the FX-64 due in January will compare price-wise to the X6800.

12. crowy

crowy Guest

Sam,
    I didn't know AM3 had been pushed back that far.

13. dazila

dazila Regular member

can someone please answer my question in my other thread it is in the other pc hardware section and the threads name is harddive making grinding noise

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

OK, but with the addition of that latest one, your sig is now even more above the legal limit.

Everywhere I've looked, H1 2008 looks like AM3 time. Brisbane will be on-track, but AM3 is due to wait (Cadiz, Greyhound and Zamora)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  15. crowy

crowy Guest

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I think a lot of that is just rumors as AMD knows nothing about any pushback time-wise and still has first quarter 07 as the plan for AM3, at least as of today! If you think about it for a minute you are talking over a year delay and that makes no sense. At least not for a company with the resources of AMD. Plus that if the delay was going to be that big, AMD would have let us know!

crowy,

AMD does not give release dates, only the generality of year quarters. They did it once to my knowlege and missed it. It was either the K6 or the original Athlon, I just don't remember! not by a lot, but I think because of the negative publicity they got at the time they swore never to do it again! They've not done it since that I'm aware of. They have been much more forthright and honest with the consumer than Intel ever was!

Happy Computering,
    theone

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed there is a lot (I can't figure out what word you've posted there because of the asterisks, it has one more character than I was expecting!)

I agree with your point Russ, so why does everywhere I look say Q1 2008? But yeah it is Q1, not "March 24th" or something. That is trademark AMD, and I have rarely seen AMD supply problems!

18. CODO69

CODO69 Guest

How can i tell if i have a P4 Northwood or what type of amd it is in my jobs comp?

*sammorris*
    "What are the machines? If the 2.3 is a P4 Northwood then use that, but if the Intel machine's a celeron you may be better with the AMD, depending what that is. If it's a Sempron then the celeron may be mildly better, but if it's an Athlon XP then it'll be better.

From best to worst:

P4 Northwood 2300mhz
    Athlon XP 2400+
    Celeron 2300mhz
    Sempron 2400+"

19. CODO69

CODO69 Guest

Here is the specs from my comp when it came stock;

CPU: Intel® Celeron® Processor 2.30GHz (w/128KB L2 cache & 400MHz FSB)
    Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    Chipset: Intel® 845GL chipset
    Memory: 512MB DDR (PC2100)
    Hard Drive: 80GB HDD
    Optical Drive: 48 × 24x48x Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x Max. DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
    Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics 3D (integrated)
    Sound: AC '97 Audio
    Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
    Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
    Peripherals: Premium Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Stereo Speakers
    Ports/Other: 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Microphone-In & Head Phone jack on front, Audio-In & Out, 3 PCI slots (2 available)
    Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

And my job's comp;

CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP 2200+ Processor with QuantiSpeed™ architecture
    Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
    Chipset: VIA KM 266
    Memory: 128MB DDR PC 2100 (DDR for optimal performance)
    Hard Drive: 40GB HDD
    Optical Drive: 48x Max. CD-RW Drive, 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
    Video: S3 ProSavage8™ integrated (1 AGP slot available)
    Sound: AC '97 Audio
    Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
    Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
    Peripherals: Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
    Ports/Other: 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Microphone-In & Head Phone jack on front, Audio-In & Out, 3 PCI slots (2 available)
    Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D
    Internet Access: AOL 3 month membership included
    Software: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition, Microsoft® Works 6.0, Microsoft® Money 2002, Encarta® Online, Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™, Microsoft® Media Player, Real Player, Internet Explorer, Netscape® Navigator, MSN®®, CompuServe®®, AOL® (with 3 months membership included**), Norton AntiVirus 2003 (90-day complimentary subscription)

Sorry, correction on my part, my job's is a amd 2200 not 2400

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well despite its current lower specs, the XP is the better processor, even at 2200 not 2400. Get some decent RAM in there and it'll be quite good, you just need to be concerned about that small hard disk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.