1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I hope you don't mean me as I only have 1, and that's behind me! LOL

Happy Computering,
    theone

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, fortunately for you, on this occasion I didn't mean you Russ! It was directed to crowy about his comment on a russian benchmark library.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,

Actually, I was joking as in ass-to-risk! LOL That's why I said it was behind me!!!! BTW thanks for my first post in Power Supplies.

Happy Computering,
    theone

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You're most welcome, I've just made a brief lecture in the PC building thread here at aD on why not to buy a cheap one! Have to see what discussion we can start.

5. CODO69

CODO69 Guest

In addition to my 80 gig HD, i have a hitachi 160 gig, the extra 512 mb memory to make it the 1 gig, an ATI tv tuner card, An HP DVD740i dvd burner (unfortunatly its crapping out on me even though its only 8 months old [in the process of fixing that with HP]), And a Linksys wireless inernet card (on loan until i get my own). that about covers it.

6. CODO69

CODO69 Guest

OH yeah, lol how could i forget (im staring right at it!) my 21" gateway2000 Vivitron21 CRT monitor.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If I were you I'd replace the other stick of RAM, a) you're not guaranteed to get compatibility and b) you're running at PC2100, not 2700 speeds, what you could do is get PC3200 (the cheapest option now) and then OC the CPU 25% to reach the speed of the memory!

8. s3a

s3a Guest

what in the cpu requires overclocking for it to be capable of keeping the ram at its full speed? the front side bus? forgive me if this is a stupid question but, i have no idea!

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's right. Athlon XPs have a front side bus of 333mhz, so an OC of 25% brings it up too 400mhz, the speed of the RAM.

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Wow. The big typhoon is indeed huge! I've never seen a CPU cooler that massive. The best I've got is a noisy 120mm fan at high rpm pointing at my CPU. It has a big passive heatsink with that fan and cools quite well.

But, wow. That thing is gigantic!

11. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

have you heard the saying.bigger is better :)

12. crowy

crowy Guest

@sam,sorry, one to many asterisks:(

Thats if the board supports raising the FSB.Otherwise pc3200 will do nothing more than pc2700.
    I ran ORTHOS last night.It's basically a lazy mans version of prime 95.Here's the direct download link: http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/orthos_exe_060420.cab

Automatically detects dual core processors and starts dual prime 95 stress test accordingly.
    Heres the results.I dropped the voltage to 1.5v ran it @2817mhz for 1 hour to start,no errors.Bumped it up to 2835,(9x315 in the bios).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back at idle after 20mins:

[​IMG]

Here is a real time cpu temp monitoring program:
    [​IMG]
    Here's the download link:
    http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/files/CoreTemp.zip
    Try sandra cpu bios information and get your temp reading then try this one and check the difference.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
  13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    A lot of that massive look is exagerated by the angle of the picture. In some of the other shots it doesn't look quite so large. It's not really that much bigger than my Zalman 9500LED, but it sure is heavier!

Happy Computering,
    theone

14. CODO69

CODO69 Guest

My comp doesnt let me overclock unless there is another place to do it other than in the setup bios mode. And i have 2 2700 memory sticks but they auto underclock to the 2100.

15. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

A while ago, many in this thread helped me pick the pieces for my build and I've been happy for the most part. I will just post my screen of my attempts to get extra juice out of it. Please pick me apart and let me know what I need to get this stable.
    I run better with the small changes I made but looking at my scores compared to some makes me wonder what I'm missing.

[​IMG]

16. crowy

crowy Guest

Deadrum33,
    What memory are you using and what configuration(IE:2x512mb, 2x1gb, 4x512 etc)and at what timings?What are your voltages(cpu,memory,chipset)What mainboard do you have?What power supply are you running?Any aftermarket cooling?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's what I thought about the asterisks, crowy! A good stable run at 2.8Ghz+ is nice to know, so 40% is definitely achievable. I'll look into that CoreTemp Program, looks good!
    Deadrum, 2.5Ghz is a good start, but a 175 is capable of more. As asked, what's your setup like?

18. CODO69

CODO69 Guest

Sorry if it seams like I'm just not getting it, But which is better IntelĀ® 845GL or AMD 2200+ with my 1024mb of memory and a combined total of 240gig hd space? Also is there anyway to overclock my processor eventhough my setup bios doesnt let me?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Doesn't let you what? It doesn't let you change the bus speed at all? If your BIOS totally locks you out, I believe there are software applications that can do that job out there, but I haven't had any experience of using them.

I can't compare a chipset to a processor, they're not the same thing! If you mean comparing the celeron to the xp, the XP is better by a little bit (though not much). The 845GL is the chipset on the motherboard of the PC with the celeron. The XP 2200+'s chipset would be like a KT600 or something.

20. crowy

crowy Guest

CODO69,
    See if you can download the motherboard manual for your amd setup.
    There may be jumper configurations that let you raise the fsb.
    Softfsb is a software program that may be able to help you also.It allows you to change settings from within windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.