1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's what I was looking for! LOL

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Actually from my experience of a few days ago with an Athlon XP 2400, it should be a very decent improvement. I just whipped up a computer for one of my friends daughters as her old (and slow) PIII has been acting up. I put it in an old socket A MB that had only a 333 FSB and PC133 memory. it only runs at 1500MHz but it does about 5200 MIPS so I was surprised and pretty impressed with it. It runs rings around the 733MHz PIII it replaced. Since it runs 900MHz slower, heat is not an issue.

I'm waiting on the PS for the Athlon 64 3200+ Clawhammer I built (???) LOL so I can see what that does. God, I need to build a modern 64x2 machine. Just to see what it can do!

Happy Computering,
    theone

3. crowy

crowy Guest

Great minds think alike Sam!!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol yes they do! Theone, you should do an X2 build to compare it to your 940. Is the 3200+ a Clawhammer? I can't remember what all the old 754 names were, I'm sure there was another.

5. crowy

crowy Guest

CODO69,
    One other thing,
    Depending on your board there may be a third party bios which will give you the option of raising the fsb.My old ecs k7s5a board had no options either in the bios or via jumper settings to raise the fsb.I re-flashed with the honeyx bios and was able to get my 1700+ to 1677mhz.Thats just over 200mhz above stock.Not much I know but it was an improvement.

I'm having a rest from tweaking tonight:)I'm getting a headache!!
    I reflashed to the other bios but didn't like it so reflashed back to this one.It's got more settings and the memory seems to like slots 1 and 3.The other bios was optimized for these chips in 2 and 4 but they didn't like it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2006
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well it's reasonable, from about PR1500 to PR1750.

7. crowy

crowy Guest

I guess this 3800 is spoiling me.It sure is a great chip.I'm sure it will go down as one of the legendary o/clocking chips,like the mobile athlons.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, one wonders whether Conroe will as well.

9. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,
    Well...if one believes whats circulating on the net,I would say there's a good chance of that!

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, I just can't figure out why the 6600 should OC so much better than the 6300 and 6400 (60% versus 35%).

11. CODO69

CODO69 Guest

Ok, how do i find what my motherboard is? for my intel, specs are:

CPU: Intel® Celeron® Processor 2.30GHz (w/128KB L2 cache & 400MHz FSB)
    Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    Chipset: Intel® 845GL chipset
    Memory: 512MB DDR (PC2100)
    Hard Drive: 80GB HDD
    Optical Drive: 48 × 24x48x Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x Max. DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
    Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics 3D (integrated

and for my job's comp;

CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP 2200+ Processor with QuantiSpeed™ architecture
    Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
    Chipset: VIA KM 266
    Memory: 128MB DDR PC 2100 (DDR for optimal performance)
    Hard Drive: 40GB HDD
    Optical Drive: 48x Max. CD-RW Drive, 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
    Video: S3 ProSavage8™ integrated (1 AGP slot available)

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The belarc advisor should be able to tell you the rest, there are numerous boards with the data you've provided. Why is that important, by the way?

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

sammorris..Don't U like to know whats,what with your computer.I just got a new MB,& did'nt know anything about it.Till I started investigating.Did'nt really know what a MB was when I bought my 1st Comp
    Not being chippy now!!

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh by all means yeah, I know what it's like to be inquisitive. The Belarc advisor should be able to help you out there.

16. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thanks for the response, sorry I couldnt reply sooner had to do my sleep/work cycle.
    2x1GB Corsair XMS PC3500--not sure about timings, thats what I know I need to work on next. Board =Asus A8N32-SLI deluxe, updated to latest bios after purchase a few months ago. Power= XClio 550W SLI certified. Cooling=Zalman9500 blueLED.
    Pretty much all I did so far was change FSB from 200x11 (stock for Opteron 175 runs at2.2) to 250x10.
    Fully opened the cpu>NB and SB>NB linkwidth and bumped CPU Vcore up from 1.35v stock to 1.4 I think and that is still technically in this chips range so not truly upping that past its "limit"
    Sorry for the ramble just giving you all as much info as possible.
    Thanks for helping a noob in this department and if this quickly turns into the OC thread give me notice and I'll transition it over to there. I am looking for information on the next steps, and have read through this and the OC thread here at Afterdawn. Need more data and reference material to know where to go next.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is that as high as it goes stable? You should in theory be able to keep the multiplier at 11 and have an FSB of near 250. Well, you should in fact be able to keep the multi at 11 and have an FSB of 255 if everything goes as planned. Voltage is fine, but don't go any higher.

18. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Quick response. I havent really been "unstable", nothing negative yet (knocks on wood) I downloaded prime 95 but havent ran it yet, havent looked into it enough to know how to properly set it up.
    I just know I need to adjust some memory most likely, somehow, and dont know where to start. I mean I can find how to in setup, I just dont know the higher or lower for what and why. I dont want to go past the basicness of what I've done without knowledge.

19. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The Opteron 175 will run fine @ 1.55v on the stock cooler, although you don't want to go any higher than whats gives you a stable system.
    As long as the case cooling is working okay, then upping the voltage higher than what you've already taken it to won't be a problem.
    Chances are you are hitting a bottle neck because of the voltage.
    But the Opteron 175 is not the best overclocker, and getting above 2.5-2.8 is a hit and miss affair depending on what stepping you managed to get hold of.

Make sure the Cas is @ 2.5 or 3.0 and the HT multiplier is at x4 max if running the FSB @ 250.
    The 3500LL is good for cas 2.0 but not at DDR500, but I'm not sure if you have the LL memory or not.

20. crowy

crowy Guest

Sammorris,
    That means his DDR433 memory will be ticking over,or should I say screaming along!! at 561mhz.At stock timings!!While that may be possible for some 256 and 512mhz chips I think maybe not possible with 1gb chips without loosening the timings and possibly adding a little more voltage.A divider will be required I'm sure.

Deadrum33,
    for now leave everything as it is,your memory will be running @500mhz as opposed to 433mhz.Don't worry the worst that will happen is a lockup or shutdown.Go here and download memtest86:
    http://www.memtest86.com/
    Everything you need to know is there.
    Run some tests and let us know how you go.
    Also download orthos,same as prime 95 but easier to use as it will automatically run a dual cpu stress test.
    http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/orthos_exe_060420.cab

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.