1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crowy

crowy Guest

Here's a shot of memtest:
    Ran this for just over an hour @DDR523.CPU@2880.
    Tonight I'll let it run overnight @stock imings of 2.5,3,3,6 and see how it goes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2006
  2. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

I have a question. I just did a d-805 build. Os loaded on sata drive.
    Can I take a hard drive out of another computer with a os on it and other info and place it in the 805 build. This is a ata drive, socan't I select boot to the sata os and not have a problem?

3. dazila

dazila Regular member

i was thinking of buying a core 2 intel, what motherboard model would be good with that that has pci-e and is there alot of difference bettween the core 2 extreme and plain core 2 if there isnt i would just buy the plain on to save on the price but by the name "extreme" it sounds much better then the normal one

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well I would say avoid the extreme one because it's three times the price as a normal CPU and doesn't OC very well, but since you've got yourself banned for a fortnight, there isn't much point!
    Baltekmi, you might get away with it, depending on how similar the hardware is.

5. DAN45

DAN45 Guest

yeah i got banned so i mad a new account for the time being now im a stupid newbie 4 2 weeks so what is your oppinon on the question dazila(ME) made

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You were banned for having a poor attitude in another thread and if you rejoin again your original account will be deactivated permanently.

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The E6600 is the one to go for, although only having a x9 multiplier.

Overclocking potential is good with stable air cooling speeds of 4.0GHz reached in tests(Gives a 67% overclock).

It has the 4MB Cache can give as much as 10% performance increase over the 2MB Cache tested with the CPUs clocked down to the same speed.

The X6800 Extreme has a totally unlocked multiplier but only reached the 4.0GHz speed as well (Gives 37% overclock).

The 6600 is also 65W compared to the 6800 at 75W, so runs cooler, probably explains some of the overclocking scores!

As said the only disadvantage of 6600 is the x9 multiplier, this makes getting all the other system parts running at correct speed a pain in the REAR!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I answered before, BigDK has added to the mixture. I tend to avoid recommending extreme editions unless there's a complete ban on overclocking. X6800, FX-62, FX-60, FX-57, none of them have I recommended.

Starting another account after having been suspended is a fast route to bandom, and shows complete disrespet for a forum. I'm not the moderator, so I'm not going to do his job for him, but I will say that suspensions are mae for a reason, it's your duty to respect them if you appreciate afterdawn.

9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I thought I would add to the mix, by suppling some actual figures for people to use rather than just adding personal opinions, that way people can make informed decisions on what CPU is the best to go for.

I can recommend the FX-60 as a 939 pin CPU, thats probably because I have one and know how it performs in reality, I have mine running stable @ 3.18 GHz 1.56v, passes all system tests such as SuperPi, Prime95.
    I wouldn't have recommended it even 2 months ago due the the price, but they are now available for about £330 if you know where to look.

P.S. a 37% overclock as seen on the Extreme is still a very good overclock, I wouldn't describe it as not overclocking very well.
    Its just the 6600 with a 67% overclock is exceptional.

Going back to the main title of this thread Intel Vs AMD.
    Safe to say that Intel have now got the best performance/price CPU around now, its just a shame that the board availabilty at the moment is limited to the Intel chipsets.
    When that issue is corrected (soon by the way) AMD have a serious problem on their hands.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not just that issue, the supply issue as well don't forget! Wow, an FX-60 at 3.18, that's very impressive. True, the X6800 OCs very well for a top end performer, but if you can get the same speed with an E6600, why buy the extreme?

11. crowy

crowy Guest

BigDK,
    Any chance of some superPI 1m iteration
    and prime 95 screenshots?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's just occurred to me. £330 you say? for an FX-60 that does nearly 3.2Ghz? I make that around the 6400+ mark. Suppose that's pretty good for £330, but then £250 will eventually buy an E6600, that'll do about 7600+, or with the right board, 8600+.

13. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The E6600 is already available at the £250 price mark, its on my shopping list for the next build.
    I'm waiting for a stable DFI LANParty nForce 590 SLI Intel Edition motherboard to come out.
    I've never had any allegiance to either AMD or Intel, but wanting the best until now has always steered me towards AMD.
    Finally Intel have come up trumps with a top performing CPU that is also well priced.
    I tend not to look at the clock speed as 2x what ever it is clocked to, as there aren't too many apps that I use that are dual core capable.

cromy: As for the screen shots, let me know how to get the pics up and I'll do it, as every attempt I've had to date to gets pics up has failed so I gave up trying.

You'll have to settle for Superpi, as I'm currently running the 3 LOTR directors cuts through Rebuilder, and joining 2x 6+GB films in TMPEGenc DVD Author, so I'm not going to sit with Prime95 in the background for however long just to prove its stable.

Best time for 1M to date is 27 Secs on clean install.
    Since reload of software best time is 28 Secs.
    Prime95 has been run max for 4-5 hours with no errors, rather boring after that.

14. crowy

crowy Guest

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

as a folding at home user, I see the dual core aspect as important, and regardless, if you're not interested in dual core tech much, just halve the numbers, all these CPUs are dual core! Posting screenies is easy! Imageshack, then take the "direct link to image" and put in IMG square brackets!

I haven't seen the 6600 readily available, where have you been looking?

16. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah Aria's where I was looking for them. However, the only board that I heard is capable of getting the E6600 to 4Ghz is the Asus P5WD-H Deluxe. I don't know exactly why that is, but apparently it's something to do with having the 975X Crossfire chipset, and of course being made by Asus!

18. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I heard they were just as good as nvidia ones personally.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To All,

I just put together an Athlon 64 Clawhammer on a Biostar Nvidia 6100 M3 MB. I know nothing about any AMD CPU past the Athlon XP. I need a litle crash (bad word)course on how to set up the Hyper Transport. It's only OC'd 5% until I can figure it all out. Presently it's at the Optimized default settings as I don't want to blow anything up any suggestions on those settings as the manual is almost useless.

It seems to run good and I'm impressed with it's benches, yet it seems slow. I'm getting about 9300 MIPS, 4700 or so MB and almost 20,000 for multimedia. Under load doing a Sandra burn in the CPU temp hits 42C. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,
    theone

Thanking you in advance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.