1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TI66ER

TI66ER Member

hello there,

from what i can remember,the idea is to keep the htt bus at or below 1000,so if your fsb was 250 you'd want the htt bus multi at 4 so 4x250=1000.
    i think the hgher your fsb is,the lower you would run the htt multi.

i hope this helps.

o and i'm glad to be a member of your forum.you have a wide range of topics.i will strive to help any member were i can.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  2. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=superpitimesxf3.jpg
    http://img130.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cpuzscreencaptureofcpuspeedes4.jpg

Hopefully this will work, as the first attempts didn't seem to load.
    If it does I'll load the CPUz screens as well!

It is correct about the HTT speed, keeping as close to 1000 is what you need to do, mine is running at 1060 265x4 without a problem.
    Its been over 1100 before without any issues as well.
    If you do go too high then you also need to up the voltage on that as well.

3. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The second one, every time. 1GB of RAM is enough for most things.

5. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

i can get a free upgrade upto 2gb of ram

6. crowy

crowy Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One more thing,Get the DFI board,I hate being the only one here with one!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2006
  7. crowy

crowy Guest

BigDK,
    That superPI pic looks like it's been altered.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

8. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    what TI66ER said.
    Just remember as you raise your HTT,your increasing the memory speed as well.So leave your memory at default timings,raise the HTT gradually until it won't boot into windows(or smoke starts coming out of your case....LOL).Lower your LDT multiplier as you increase the HTT bus to keep it around 1000.IE: 200HTTx5 =1000
    250HTTx4 =1000.Once you can't get past post,loosen you memory timings and add .1volts.Try again.If it still wont boot lower your HTT speed by 5mhz, try again.You get the idea.Once your in windows run some benches to check stability.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,

Here's where I stand right now not knowing what I am doing. Never did and AMDs past the Athlon XP! Here's the math!

[​IMG]

Here's the MB

[​IMG]

And here's a CPUz

[​IMG]

Almost forgot the CPUz memory

[​IMG]

Like I said I have no clue. Let me know what you think. I'm not looking for a big OC as the memory is junk (supplied by customer). Still it's not bad and the on-board video is the best and fastest I've ever seen. Multi-Media is just a hair shy of 20,000!

Thanking you in advance,
    theone

10. crowy

crowy Guest

Here you can see my memory(rated @ DDR500)sitting at DDR568.8 = 2x284.4

[​IMG]

Here you can see the HTT(FSB) speed just under 2000mhz(1896mhz)

[​IMG]

And the current stable speed (2844.18)

[​IMG]

11. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    I'm assuming thats DDR3200 memory.If it is it's sitting 66mhz above it's rating so it's not all bad!.Try changing the Tras to 8 for slightly better performance.Raising the bank cycle time will give you better stability if Tras 8 causes instability.I notice your memory is on a 9/10 divider,dont forget to lower that as you increase the HTT(FSB).The front side bus speed looks good.Sandra picks up your memory @ 2T as well I noticed.Mines the same but cpuz always gets it right @ 1T.
    Keep going it's all good fun!!

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,

What I really need to know is what the settings in the setup for the hypertransport mean and do. How do you change the FSB? Why is it different from the Intel way? It appears to me that raising the FSB if thats what I've done, also raises the memory speed while the speed of the processor remains fixed at whatever setting you choose for it.

I'de very much appreciate it if you could explain it to me. Just remember that I don't know anything about how AMD manages their memory settings and speeds or thier cpu speeds. This is for my future knowlege as this build (???) assembly or whatever you want to call it, is done!

BTW, I just spent the last couple of hours recovering files from a hard drive that the bios wouldn't see. Got a little trick that could help. You may know it already but maybe it will help someone else too! Since this is a Primary Master, you address it as a slave. About 75% of the time it will address in the bios and you can burn the hard files to data DVDs. Be warned!!! Some computers do not like seeing 2 seperate active partitions. I re-boot after every Data DVD is finished to get it back to normal. You could even do a backup but I prefer recovering the hard files as you can read the disks on any DVD on any computer. That may not be the case with a backup from one machine to another.

Happy Computering and Thanks,
    theone

13. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    Remember the athlon 64's and also the Opterons have an onboard memory controller so communicating with the controller that organizes the stream of information is done on the processor.This in effect reduces the amount of computing cycles lost while waiting for the memory to respond.(IE: a shorter path to travel).Thats why there is no Northbridge on your mainboard like the intel's have.In your bios do you see 1000,800,600,400,200
    Or do you see 5x,4x,3x,2x,1x LDT/FSB frequency ratio?There the same thing(5x=1000)(4x=800)Etc. 200HTT/FSB x 5 = 1000 x 2(DDR) = 2000Mhz LDT speed.So if you drop the LDT to 4(or 800)the equation is 200HTT/FSB x 4 = 800 x 2(DDR) = 1600Mhz LDT speed.If you raise the HTT/FSB to 250 the equation would look like this 250HTT/FSB x 5 =1250 x 2(DDR) =2500Mhz LDT speed(might work but won't be stable,thats why the LDT/FSB ratio needs to be set back to 4 to keep it at 2000.As you raise your FSB bus frequency your memory speed will increase as well.If your cpu is stock at 2000mhz and the multiplier is locked at 10 the FSB frequency will be at 200.The LDT/FSB frequency will default to 5x.(5x200=1000 x2DDR =2000)Now your FSB frequency sitting at 200 results in your memory at DDR400(200x2)Raise your FSB to say 250 sends your cpu to 2500mhz(250x10 cpu/fsb multiplier)and your memory to DDR500(250x2)Change the LDT/FSB multiplier to 4x(or 800) brings you back to 2000mhz LDT speed but your cpu will still be at 2500mhz and your memory will still be at DDR 500.So Put the memory on a 166mhz/250mhz divider and your memory will be back to just over 208mhz x 2 =DDR416.Now I have a headache!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2006
  14. crowy

crowy Guest

Nearly forgot.Another thing to do is set the faulty master drive as a slave and have another master drive with the o.s on it.Plug them both in and copy whats needed to the master drive then backup to dvd.I know what you mean about pc's not liking 2 active partitions.My first ever attempt at partitiong a drive resulted in clearing partitions, reformat, and reinstall(windows 98se).

15. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Crowy!
    I'm correcting you.
    It's not been altered, it's a straight capture using Snagit!.
    P.S. personally speaking you're wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,

One quick question. What does the LDT stand for in LDT Speed? That's the only part I didn't understand.

Thanking you once again man! I owe you!

Happy Computering,
    theone

17. crowy

crowy Guest

BigDK,
    I wasn't doubting your integrity but it doesn't look right?
    [​IMG]
    If thats how snagit captured the screen then fine.
    My apologies.

This is what mine looks like:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2006
  18. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    LDT=Lightning Data Transport.

19. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Sorry for calling you wonderful, its early here.
    I haven't got a clue what those lines are, when I get back this evening, I'll have another look at the capture and do another one and see if its the same.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Crowy: You're the only one with one because we prefer Asus. Well done on the HT explanation though, better than I could have done it.
    BigDK: Would Americans understand your insult?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.