1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,
    LOL!!Thats fine sam,they're both good.I'll be interested to see the new conroe chips tested on the Asus and DFI boards in the future.Should be some outstanding results.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Absolutely. I don't suppose you know why the P5WD-H Deluxe overclocks conroes so much better than any other board? Apparently an E6600 (2.4Ghz) will make 3.5Ghz on a normal board and 4Ghz on a P5WDH-D.

3. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,
    I would say it's probably the design of the board.Maybe a few extra resistors here and there to add to stability and shorter traces linking components together.That's only a guess I could be totally wrong but thats the reason the DFI expert board is slightly better than the DFI Lanparty ultra-D.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Slightly better, of course, but an extra 500mhz? Seems unlikely...

5. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,
    Maybe better quality components as well.
    Also remember all cpu's are not created equal and memory chips come into play as well.Then there's the psu.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, of course they're all factors and I've seen them all affect how successful someone's OC is, but the OC achieved with that board on the E6600 is just phenomenal compared to what it is with any other boards, including other Asus boards...

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How strange. I've just noticed the system in your signiature, and you are a VERY lucky person to have that!

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Very much so, it seems to be my middle name lately...
    Hows about " you [bold]just to be safe...[/bold]!!!"

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

BigDK, edit your 11. August 2006 @ 01:45 post!! same goes for others who copied that word!! any flames & i'll flame your butt off this site, understand!!?

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    I printed all that out so I can refrence it down the road. Thank you very much for the effort as it's greatly appreciated and will be very useful in the not too distant future. I can't honestly say that I know it all, but at least I have a much better understanding of how it all works and why.

Sincerely,
    theone

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    I just discovered that the CPU is not a Clawhammer, it's a San Diego! It's right there in my CPUz. Needless to say I called Tiger Direct right away as the Clawhammer is a much better CPU with twice the on-chip cache. The numbers should be a lot better when I get it replaced. It says Clawhammer right on the package.

The moral to all of this is to always run CPUz and make sure you get what you pay for!

Happy Computering,
    theone

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah come on guys, this thread is no place for language like that, late or not. BigDK, you know better, and Deadrum33, don't give him ammunition, we don't want him to start calling more names! I'm still a delusional twerp in his books!

Is that so, Russ? I thought the San Diego was better than the Clawhammer! I obviously thought wrong. Bet you're glad you checked!

DDP: Edited. What was I thinking quoting it??? I've no excuse, and it being late isn't really much of an excuse either. That word doesn't belong at aD, I apologise, and I expect Deadrum and BigDK will too.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    The Clawhammer has 1MB of L2 cache and the stepping is different. I just got off the phone with Tiger Direct and they are going to send me another CPU to check. If it turns out to be another San Diego, they will replace it with this.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...-Details.asp?EdpNo=1366622&sku=CP1-A64-4000 E

Care to guess what I'm hoping for!! I'm fortunate that because it says Clawhammer on the invoice and it says Clawhammer on the CPU package, they are obligated to give me a CPU with the i MB cache, and the 4000+ San Diego is the only one they have that does!

Happy Computering,
    theone

15. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    No worries,glad I could help.
    Good luck with the 4000+.
    Been at work al day and have to work again tommorrow:(

BigDK,
    No worries about the captures,don't no why they come out that like either!27secs is excellent for 1M.The best Iv'e got from this x2 3800 is 30 secs running at 2950 mhz,but it's not stable at that speed.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What exactly is the highest stable you've achieved with the 3800?

17. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Edited the post.

Crowy: it's good to see you took it in your stride, no malice intended, I just take exception to being called a liar and cheat that’s all!
    I would have edited it before, but in the time between posting and cooling down, you had already read it.!

Sam: Maybe its best to leave what is in the past, exactly where is was rather than raking over old ground, whatever was written, I'm sure you're far from delusional.

ddp: You'll never see a another bad word from this direction!

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Happy days lol. I since got close to bandom for re-iterating what brought the demon out in you... A "fresh look on life" has shown me what the real-world scenario actually is.

19. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The big picture is, we all enjoy playing with PCs etc... and enjoy communicating to other like minded people.
    I'll refrain from logging on before 9.00 am in future, I'm not a morning person at all.

Peace to everyone, sorry for any offence caused to all.

Back to the forum:

I've updated the superpi to 1.5 and still every time it loads I get the lines at the top.
    As said, its on the superpi log screen when it loads rather than being just the capture, Snagit just copies it as it is.
    Maybe its time for a format and reload again, its now 3 months since last clean install, thats the longest I've gone for about 3 years.
    I try out so many apps that end up being crap that even after what I think is a total clean out of registry, things are never quite right again.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I know that problem all too well, my old PC hadn't been formatted for 9 months before I got this one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.