1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

2. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Notice on the Sony website it says:

That's what you want.

However from the link you gave, it says
    Those links you're giving me are the VGN-FE21M. The dabs link is the 21B. That may be the difference, it's probably not the same laptop, hence why it's cheaper.

4. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

ah yes.quite right.it only has 80gb storage.well dabs is out of the question.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Thought it was cheap!

6. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Quite good performance but irritating screen res, for any games you're effectively limited to 1024x768, since no games I know of support 1280x800. 1680x1050 laptops are better because not only is that res supported by some games, but ones that aren't can be run in 1280x1024.

Trouble is they now seem to be in short supply, manufacturers voting in favour of the vastly inferior 1440x900 and 1280x800 screens. Only decent 1680x1050 one I found was this
    http://www.savastore.com/productinf...vastore&product_id=10290654&pid=5&rstrat=3180
    and that's absurdly expensive for what it is.

8. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

im not really bothered about screen res.as long as it will play the games i want(some new ones such as hitman blood money,splinter cell ct,graw and some old ones)(pre 2005)

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

10. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

that sony is well better than that hp(in graphics wise)my cousin has a nvidia 7400 gc and plays hitman blood money on normal quality on his sony oh and also graw

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

an X1600 will equal a 7400, easy. I also dislike the high contrast screens on Vaios. They look cool but are utterly impractical.

12. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

yeah but its a 7600 which also helps.you can dull the screens on vaios(they have like 6 brightness settings).i bet if sony used normal screens the battery would last like an extra hour as the screen has 2 lamps.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Our cheap HP Celeron M has 16 brightness settings, and I can actually see that in bright ambient light. With a Vaio I can't.

14. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

sam
    I see your point on my post sorry. I tell you what though. Now is the time to do custom builds.Most people would think you are a genious and pay good money for old tech so to speak. Yes we are in the drivers seat. I see that tiger has a big price difference in core 2 chips but the 6600 an d6700 are still"out of stock". I give it 1 more month and we should get what we want. I am still concerned about mobo still I think it will be longer to finally get one that is "plug and play" pardon the pun. I am sure abit and asus is hard at work.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

baltekmi,
    Throw in MSI, DFI, Gigabyte and you name it. They all want a piece of that Conroe pie! At present, Asus only has one really good MB for the conroe and it's expensive as hell! There are presently 4 others but they don't OC near as well.

Mostly because of the motherboard situation, I going to wait and see what AMD does next. It will be most interesting to see what Intel has pressured AMD into doing next. Right now the lack of chips is hurting motherboard development because there are no potential sales to help pay for the cost of that development. Add to that how many people are waiting for chip availability before they chose a MB for that new build, so MB sales are down. Check Tiger Direct and you will see more motherboard\CPU combos than ever before. Some very good prices as well!

I just bought an Athlon 64 3200+ on a BioStar GeForce6100-M9 MB for $99! Fastest on-board video I've ever seen! A week earlier I bought an Athlon 64 3800+ on a mid-priced MSI board, also for $99! Both customer builds for office work. Now is definitely the time to build a back-up computer!

Happy computering,
    theone

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The lack of Conroes means lack of sales an dlack of mobo support, when more people are buying them (because of availability) motherboards for resonable prices will appear. Look how well 939 has advanced in its time - those deals theone found are bargains!

17. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well that'll keep our DFI fanboy Crowy happy, anyway! An nForce 590 you say... Hmmm.

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

sammorris & baltekmi,

I didn't really mean to say that the clock speed was the only advantage. And I guess I was wrong about the L2 cache on the X6800. But I do mean to say that it is pointless in comparing the current generation of processors to the next.

AMD has actually yet to release a direct competitor to the Conroe. So comparing the FX-62 to the E6600 and the X6800 is like comparing a 1972 Monte Carlo to a Millenium Corvette. The Monte Carlo was never made to compete with the Corvette(being from the same maker aside.) So it's just like laughing at the 1972 Monte Carlo because it's old.

It's kinda dumb to start doing comparisons with a product that was never built to compete. Wait until AMD releases their new platform. I said if AMD didn't have an answer in six months I would get an E6600. But I now know it's probably not going to be until around July of next year(at least that's what I'm told. Anyone got a different date?) So I'm willing to wait for it a few extra months and see what it can do.

When the Conroe is out-pacing a product that is actually meant to compete with it, then you can tell me that intel is better and I won't argue. But I'm going to wait patiently until then. So just calm down until you actually have something to gloat about.

And yes, I'm a hardcore AMD fanboy if you were wondering. And I'm proud of it :p

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is it? Not in my book. Comparisons are still valid because old tech is becoming so cheap that the good overclockers of the old generation are still worth having. I kind of see what your car analogy is about, but Intel have in fact produced the better product on this occasio. I could have been termed an AMD fanboy before, but I was really just someone who was a bit slow to accept the new reality. I've now seen proof Intel's product is better, and for those who can afford the E6600 or E6700, I will recommend it to them.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.