1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well if AMD can't bring it to the table I will indeed buy an intel processor because I do have the money and I'm willing to buy the fastest available(in this case the X6800 or E6600.) I'd just like to be open-minded and let AMD catch up first. And I see your point. The Pentium 4 was quite a bit faster than the Athlon XP and created a lot of intel followers. That is, so far, happening again. But then the Athlon 64 blew away the Pentium 4.

I never even had a decent computer until about early February this year and when I finally got one it was the fastest available on the $500 budget I had. Then I got the beginning of the rig I use now and it was currently the fastest for the money. AMD remains that way and will for a while still.

It does give bragging rights to have the down-right fastest but it doesn't matter when slower processors are fast enough for every program on the market. The Athlon 64 4000+ plays all games perfectly. Just because the X6800 is faster doesn't mean the FX 57 and down are now too slow for anything. It just means that the Conroe performs better.

I simply find it pointless to compare until AMD actually puts out a processor that is actually meant to compete. So be patient and we'll see.

AMD fanboy or not I won't diss the Pentium 4 or the Pentium D because in their own right they are very fast. But the fact remains that AMD is currently the best for your money and they have intelligently dropped their prices on EVERYTHING because they knew that with Conroe out their prices didn't make sense. They are all now in the general realm of the Pentium 4s and Pentium Ds. IMO the Pentium 4 is badly priced compared to the Athlon 64. But the Pentium D's prices and performance are very competitive.

So don't get me wrong. I'm not a hopelessly blind fanboy trying to defend a dying product line. I just see it a bit differently.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You're not trying to defend a dying product line, that product line is alive and well. Up to £200 AMD still has the advantage because X2s are still better than the E6300 and 6400. Only the E6600, E6700 and X6800 overclock competitively on numerous boards, and the X6800 is just too expensive. Even the E6700 is a lot here in the UK, at the equivalent of $780. Consequently for those who don't want to spend a fortune, AMD are still the winners (and let's face it, that's the case for most PC users). Intel has only taken the high performance crown, not the crown overall. Intel and AMD have swapped markets, in effect.

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

True! Very true! That's what I meant to say. intel may hold the high end but AMD is just plain better for the money and still has competitive performance. Just because the two fastest are faster than AMDs entire line doesn't mean intels are instantly faster across the board. The E6600 thru the X6800 aren't all intel has to offer. Like I've been saying, intel's mid-range still has to compete with AMDs mid-range. (finally someone isn't too bigheaded to listen.)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol as you know, I was a strong AMD supporter previously. Anyone who still thinks AMD are the best at everything needs to wake up and smell the Conroe, but for the lower end where most PC sales are made, the Sempron64 is better than the Celeron D and the Athlon64 better than the Pentium 4, performance and price-wise. Manufacturers like Dell are starting to realise that AMD offers a competitive product, and although their production figures aren't high enough to ship to major retailers (I think that's partly why AMD have fewer vapourware problems) they can at least offer good products as competition to intel to numerous PC builders, and the major manufacturers are starting to notice. As far as overclocking goes, exactly the same applies, except that few people overclock machines like Dells, for obvious reasons!

5. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

on another note, my dad's client recently asked me about a laptop reccomendation for around 1 grand (cdn dollars). i've narrowed it down to these two laptops:

1. http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=CADHS1&l=en&oc=OCINSP6402_FEAT_BETAP1

2. http://www.pc4canada.com/default/Pr...&XRT=1&KEYWORDS=toshiba a100&PID=104239&QNT=1

for the second, i plan on price matching with bestbuy, futureshop or staples. this is solely a work computer so a dedicated gfx card is not needed. which one would you choose? is there any other laptop in that price bracket which is better?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not the Dell because of the batteries they use. Dell laptops are banned on US airlines because of how frequently the batteries explode. Not Dell's fault, they just picked the wrong supplier, however I'd avoid their laptops as a precautionary measure. That second lappie's pretty good anyway.

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

They explode? What, do terrorists plant C4 in them instead of the lithium ion core?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Wow, leave it to Dell to overcharge you for a laptop that is already subpar and then kill you :p

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Got it in one! But as I said, it's not really their fault.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmmm $460 for an E6400 and Intel board is quite good I suppose. However, I daresay that a board that performs around that Intel board could be had for £80 in this country and the CPU is £180. £260 I make about $490. Considering we pay VAT, is that such a good deal? The ones that interest me are the Biostar $100 A64 one that you listed, the Sempron deal with 512MB RAM included, and the PD840.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I would avoid any boards by MachSpeed though. They might sound cool but my experiences tell me otherwise. I actually had to RMA two MachSpeed boards and the second one fried a Sempron 3100+ I was using. I eventually got the Biostar TForce you can see in my profile. Needless to say I needed to get a new Sempy too.

14. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

its not dells fault.i watched this tv program called 10 things you didnt know about technology and this guy could make pcs blow up.its something to do with the silicon in the chips.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

IT IS DELLS FAULT!!! lol

They just plain have low quality builds and they way overcharge for everything.

And my Dell dimension was uber loud because of a 10cm fan exhauting in the back to draw heat off a passive cooling solution. After getting a 2.8GHz Northwood I swear the stock cooler is quieter than the Dell cooler.

BTW. Take a look at the systems in my profile all and see the shopping I've done :p

-edit-... certain "spelling errors"

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  16. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

you can argue with sammorris over that.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In my experience Dell PCs have actually been quite quiet. It's nothing to do with Dell I assure you, but will be if they don't change their battery types! LOL

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,

That Dell 3000 is at the bottom of the list. The nicest think I could say about mine is that I sold it for a profit! That was the only good thing about it! Of course there was nothing wrong with it that a new MB, memory and PS wouldn't cure! LOL

theone

19. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,
    All good things come to those who wait!!.....[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.