1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

so ive came to the conclusion of having a intel core duo processor,160gb hard drive,2gb of ram and a nvidia geforce go 7600 128mb dedicated which also run media centre and vista when it comes out.the laptop also has built in mic,bluetooth and camera.it will cost around £1040.00 for this high spec machine so thats not bad considering it will play nearly every game.if i get it ill report back of what performance is like playig hitman,prey,doom 3 etc.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,

Does DFI have a MB that supports DDR400, AGP and my D940 dual core? Power regulation is what did in my Asus. That and an inadequate power supply. I forgot to factor in the new video card and I ran out of watts! I figure I might look at a DFI and see what they have to offer. hopefully better power regulation with more than 3 stages!

Thanks,
    theone

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  3. crowy

crowy Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2006
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,

Sorry, it doesn't do Pentium Ds! This is for my D940 3.2 Dual-Core. The only real snag is that I want to stay with DDR400 because it's still better than DDR2, for now. I see latencys dropping so I guess they are slowly getting a handle on DDR2! They've still got a ways to go yet.

Happy Computering,
    theone

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I suppose Intel boards give you the option, with AMD you're forced to have one or the other.

6. crowy

crowy Guest

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

That's why you can choose between the two. If you don't like one then get the other or vice versa.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Although since typically if you want to choose between DDR and DDR2 you need to change motherboard, it may as well mean changing socket (DDR obviously with 939 and DDR2 with AM2) Of course, Intel doesn't require you toc ahnge your processor, but if you're changing your board it may be a good opportunity!

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I suppose intel is geared more towards the mainstream and ease of use while AMD is geared towards enthusiasts and DIYers.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That was previously the way, but now it's the other way round. AMD's products now perform better at stock configuration than Intels do for the same price, so they should be the mainstream leaders!

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

A good point, well made. I suppose we're only getting warmed up in the power struggle. It only means lower prices and higher performance for the dollar for us, the end consumer.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Which is why in a way that it's good that new stuff is forever coming out, the bad point is that no matter what you buy, it's out of date almost immediately.

13. crowy

crowy Guest

Made this today.
    What is this you ask?
    It's my stock heatsink with a marine conversion!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the pump:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    200 litres per hour submersible.I submerged it in ice water and gave it a "DRY" run today((IE:no where near my precious mainboard!!)No leaks,thats good!!I put the waterblock in the oven first to get some heat into it,got it at the temp where you can just hold you hand on it,then pumped cold(but could have been colder)water through it.Within less than 1 minute it was cold,after probably 2 minutes it was icy cold!!(I'm hoping condensation won't be a problem as the stock fan sitting on top will help + I'm going to leave the side off of my case with a 30cm pedastal fan blowing a hurricane inside the case!!!!!)but it had a thin layer of condensation on it so that's where the fans will hopefully work. Total cost $23 Aust!!!![​IMG] [​IMG]
    The pump was $11 Australian and it's got a 3 year warranty!!Going to plumb it up tommorrow.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2006
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Homemade water cooling would previously have had me say "that's got carnage written all over it!" but I wish you the best of luck with your project!

15. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,
    Hey,I'm more nervous than you.LOL!!!
    If it works I've got the potential of a fully loaded cpu at around 12 degrees!!=Max overclock!For $23! If it doesn't..........oh well.
    P.s. thanks for the good wishes:)

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd be surprised, but who knows, stranger things of happened, the Tom's Hardware vegetable oil PC for example.

17. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris
    I nearly bought a fish tank when I saw that!!!

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

19. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,
    I'm not that adventurous.

Throw in some Glycol and I'm still liquid at -18 degrees c. 10 litres should stay cold for a while.We have a chest freezer so I will cool it in there.
    [​IMG]

20. crowy

crowy Guest

My new sig:
    HOPE NOT!!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.