1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,
    Voltage was at 1.62.

Estuansis,
    This watercooling is great fun,gives you speeds just not possible on air.

theone,how did you go with that DFI board?

Been busy the last few days(catching up on housework),and have to work on the weekend helping a friend painting houses so won't get the chance to do any more benches until next week.

The temp was varying between 12-16 degrees with the coolant at -2 degrees at idle,CPU @ 3024..I managed to boot at 3046mhz but windows crashed not long after.Under full load @3006mhz,temp was maxing around 32-35.
    Regards,Crowy.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    I don't plam to buy before the first of the year. Things should have shaken out pretty good by then. We'll have an eye toward what AMD's response to the Conroe is, and then make a decision as to what direction to go. Hell, it might even be worth the wait! Sometime in the first quarter of next year I'm gonna build something!

It's been suggested to me in the past that maybe I should buck convention and build something on a DFI Lanparty MB. I downloaded the manual for the 865PE-TAG and that is one killer motherboard and the options available in the set-up are second to none! My next build will be on a DFI MB! Maybe for say, x2 4600+. I hear you can clock the crap out of it! I've seen what you can do with a x2 3800+ so I'm drooling wondering what the numbers would be like with the highly overclockable 4600+ stuffed in a mid-priced (under $100) DFI MB!!!

What about the Conroe, you ask? I think the Conroe will be a short term CPU! Intel has scraped every ounce of performance they can squeeze out of the present architecture and there is no more performance to be had! They just have to be working on the next generation architecture right now. They can't afford not to be! Seeing how easy it's been to put some muscle in first the 3800+, 170 Opteron and now the 4600+ has got to make Intel feel a little uneasy because AMD is now very competetive in the mid priced range. Intel gets the high end where sales are a lot slower. They probably get the low end as well with the D series. Lots of sales but little profits. AMD is right where the majority of sales are, in the mid-priced range. If they felt the need for just a little more to open the eyes AMD could work thier magic with the 4400+ as well! As a standard 64x2 the 4400+ was the best overclocker of the lot so imagine how good it would be if given the same treatment as the 4600+! And it has the better Toledo core, to boot!

Happy Computering,
    theone

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Barring the D805 price area, AMD has the high-volume lower end market pretty much sewn up. Crowy, that voltage is ridiculous, I wouldn't expect your system to last very long at that sort of level, really. It's very cool you've managed above 50% out of a 3800+, but if your system still runs like that in 2 years, I'll paypal you £20.

4. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,
    [​IMG]
    LOL!! sam,don't think this pc will be running at those volts 24/7!!Remember I have to re-cool the coolant everytime I want to go for max overclock.Thats what I'm doing now,so at the moment I'm at stock speed,stock everything,because my cooling at the moment is a stock heatsink fan with 4 holes in it!!!As a matter of interest the cpu temp with the coolant at room temp(20 degrees) is only 26!!
    This is purely an exercise in top speed(enough to get a capture of max mhz after booting into windows) and then a max stable speed with coolant at room temp.and around 1.5 vcore (thats acceptible).Memory bandwidth will be a slight comprimise but the extra mhz will balance that out.In 2 years I'm hoping to pick up an fx62 for $100(LOL) and plant it straight in this board.I think the next step here is a chipset cooler.

This from Tom's hardware:

[​IMG]

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/02/thg_tuning_test/page18.html
    theone,
    I found you a new spaceship!!!!ROFL!!:
    Just joking buddy!!(couldn't resist)!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2006
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

LOL. an FX-62 for $100? Never, but eventually there'll be a chip as fast as the FX62 for that. A new sempron perhaps, Sempron X2 5800+. Could happen!

6. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,
    sempron doesn't sound as good as athlon though!
    Please !!No offence to anyone with a sempron.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well no because it's the budget model, but the performance is only relative, to the current best of technology. A Sempron 2600+ may be slow compared to what we can have now, but when the best you could get was a 1Ghz Thunderbird, a Sempron 2600+ would have seemed ridiculously fast.

8. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,
    Thats why it's all relative!
    It's like what we have now compared to 4 years down the track.What's fast today will be considered slow.I remember the 3rd pc I ever had(a 133 pentium on a P55 mainboard if my memory serves me correctly).I reset the fsb jumper to 166 and ran it like that all the time I had it.I was over the moon!! But gee,looking back now it was a dinosaur!!

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unfortunately I can't remember that far back. I remember using a P133, but I didn't have a computer at that stage. Late on the scene wasn't I?

10. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,
    well, if nature takes it's course,you will be seeing faster pc's than me!!Imagine what our kids,kids,kids will be playing with.When a replacement for the transistor happens and heat isn't an issue,the possibilities will be endless.

11. crowy

crowy Guest

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well I think ehat will always be an issue, because theoretically you can' thave 100% efficiency unless there'sno energy involved, which is mind-boggling. However, genetic transistors don't look too far away now...

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

14. crowy

crowy Guest

H-P said in a statement that the technology could result in computers that are thousands of times more powerful than those that exist today.

"We are reinventing the computer at the molecular scale," said Stan Williams, one of the authors of the paper, in a statement. "The crossbar latch provides a key element needed for building a computer using nanometer-sized devices that are relatively inexpensive and easy to build."

Phil Kuekes, another one of the paper's authors, said in a statement that transistors would continue to be used for years to come with conventional silicon circuits.

15. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,
    that link you posted..........I couldn't understand any of it!!!!

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

is this a contest?

It's full of techno-babble, but if you just read it without working out what the technical names mean, you can see what they're trying to achieve, or at least I could.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  17. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,
    no it's not a contest!!!
    I was just having fun.
    I know what your saying,decipher the techno babble into laymans terms and it makes sense.

18. crowy

crowy Guest

I think were getting off the track again sam!!!!

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just a bit...

20. Lazl0

Lazl0 Member

Now i know for a fact!

INTEL OWN AND ALWAYS WILL......

AMD are LAME.

That is all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.