1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

at 5% that thing can run up to 80C... i really need to get a aftermarket cooler for that... an with the fan speed turned up to 70% which is my normal right now it stays at like 50 at start up and like 70at full load... this thing runs soooo hottt.....

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

FIHSNERD,
    I must have missed a post somwhere along the way but what is "this thing"? What CPU is it?

theone

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

"and i am running the Omega drivers" implies graphics card.

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah, the X850XT is hot. Loud with bad ventilation is correct. But at 100% she stays fairly cool. 47*C idle and 65*C load for me.

I just got the Sunbeam Silent Storm case for my dual core. Came with three 120mm fans. One is a core fan that sits in the middle of the case and blows towards the back. Pulling heat off the drives and moving air towards the exhaust fan.

Before I put in my X1800XT I tried it with my X850XT and it cooled right down. So I turned my fan down to 50%. Still a bit loud but like a purring kitten compared to 100%. Idle was at about 53*C and load was 72*C. Put it in the Sempron build and had to turn it up again. 5% speed on idle and 60% on load does the trick. I used ATi tool for that.

I like the case though :) It's real slick

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Who doesn't? LOL. ATITool can do that? I must try it. I haven't had much luck getting ATITool working recently...

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

ATi tool is still a bit buggy with the X1000 series. But I had no real problems with my X1800XT.

And yeah. ATi tool can adjust your fan speeds dynamically. Also your clock speeds. It lowers your speeds in your desktop and raises them for gaming.

So instead of turning up the fan when nearing shutdown temp it just raises it bit-by-bit as the temp increases or turns it up to a preset speed and leaves it. Quite useful.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just tried it. Very cool! I'd say my fan speed never goes above 60% based on what noise levels that program outputs for various %ages.

8. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

why did you get the X1800XT with 256mg???????
    the 512 would have done you longer..
    but yes it is the X850XT that is running hot..
    if i put my finger on the metal at the top for a split second it will just about give me a blister.. that is how hott this thing is.. i want to put a fan ontop of it... but i dont know how i would even do that..

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It should already have a fan LOL. the 512MB version isn't all that different to the 256MB version, really.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    If I remember rightly the 512 exhausts through a port slot from the back of the computer while the 256 just exhausts inside the case. He should look for a good VGA cooler. Try Arctic!

Happy Computering,
    theone

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Of course yeah some 256MB versions have the single-slot, I forgot about that. That explains it then.

12. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

and i will third it lol .Nephilim told me about it when i was having problems with my new rig running to hot. took about 15 to 20C off my NVIDIA Geforce-7800 GTX temps and its NOT that expensive.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2006
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Can't say I've used one, but from what I've heard they are excellent so I fourth it.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris & crowy,

Well, Tiger Direct came through. I have to send back the 2 A64 3200+ San Diegos and they are sending me an A64 3700+ San Diego w/1MB cache to replace the one that was supposed to be a Clawhammer w/1MB cache. I don't even have to pay shipping. Should make for a nice computer for my customer.

Very Happy Computering,
    theone

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Cool, that's an impressive blag, although I still don't see why a Clawhammer is any better than a San Diego.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I'm guessing but the 64 Clawhammer may have been King of the Hill as a socket 754. I was away from computing at that time as I just got tired of the insanity of it all. Every couple of weeks there was something new you "had to have" and I was spending thousands of dollars for what would now be politely termed, "Junk"! Got away from it and spent my money on fast cars instead!

Tiger Direct has some wierd pricing as the Boxed 64 3700+ w/cooler is $103. If you scroll down the list you see just the CPU for $249!

Strange!

Happy Computering,
    theone

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Clawhammers aren't as good. They are about equal to a Venice. I like 'em but I couldn't find one if my life depended on it. If anyone could point me to a 3700+ clawhammer I would be grateful.

Also, my X1800XT and my X850XT both have two slot cooling solutions. And if FIHSNERD got the one I'm thinking he got it has it too.

@sammorris, you wouldn't really have any heat issues I take it? I "heard" that the X1900XT didn't really have any cooling problems. And niether does my X1800XT.

I got the 256MB X1800XT because I have yet to see where the extra $50-$75 is justified. I like its performance. Roughly 30%+ better than my X850XT I'd say. And I got a nifty rebate. I have the money but I'd much rather spend the bulk of my cash working on my van. It's the greatest van ever.

I'm a smart spender, not a performance junkie. I could easily get an FX-62 or an X6800 right now but the money just doesn't justifiy the performance when I can safely and efficiently keep my X2 3800+ at the same speeds and be a bit faster than a 4800+ or FX-57 even.

I'm going to get the Zalman 7500LED(or whatever) soon. It's just a bit smaller than the Big Typhoon I'm told.If mounted right the core fan in my case will blow right across it. It should hopefully cool better than the 120mm aspire LED fan I had rigged to the side of my old case. Until it gets here I'm stuck at 2.2GHz on the stock HSF. I could go higher but it doesn't seem too smart without aftermarket cooling.

***EDIT***

Theone, would you be so kind as to post a link to that $103 3700+? I would buy it at a moment's notice.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fair point. As long as case ventilation is adequate the X1900's fan need not spin up much, and therefore is quiet. If you use ATItool you can choose the fan speed anyway, as long as you monitor the temperature.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

ATi tool is fun. Two years ago my friend had a 9800SE with the 256-bit interface and unlocked it to a 9800Pro. The he flashed the card's BIOS to a 9800XT. Not too bad for $100 at the time, eh?

ATi tool is a very stable tool and is my program of choice for video cards. Riva tuner is also decent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.