1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

3. crowy

crowy Guest

Finally finished painting these 2 houses!!!
    Have to start another on the weekend:(
    Ok,I need some advice on video cards.
    theone or sammorris or Estuansis or anyone.
    There is a guy out of Hong Kong on Ebay selling the X800 for around $100 Aus.+$30 delivery.He also has the X850 for $209 buy it now.Whats the difference between the 2 cards apart from the 850 having vivo(which I'll never use.Also what other comparable cards are there to these ones?
    Thanks Guy's.
    Here's a capture I did @3033mhz.vcore @1.67(Don't freak out sam!!)
    I'm going to try some new Bioses soon to see if I can go any further.
    Regards,Crowy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    It would depend on what model 800 he's selling. The 850 sounds like an all in wonder. Does it have a TV Tuner? if so, it's a good choice. If not, again which model. If you can get the XT model in either of them, buy it as the price is real good for both!

I have an X800 GTO and it's an excellent video card. It came with all 16 pipes active! Does 12 thousand plus in 3D Mark, and that's the 8xAGP version. I would think that the PCIe x16 card would score much higher An XT would score even higher!

Hope the info helps!

Happy Computering,
    theone

5. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Please don't waste your money on this. I have the bfg 6800 ultra agp 256. I bought it and yes it does keep your board cooler(10-15c). But what else does it do. The original cooler on your vid card is fine. Unless you are having problems with slow downs ( then you really have other issues also) stock coolers are fine. FYI vidio cards do not start to slow down untli they reach 120c Yes I said 120c. Stock coolers will keep the temps to around 60-70c depending on case cooling. So yes it is cool and cheap to get... bottom line it helps nothing.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

baltekmi,
    That's rubbish!! Most cooler kits exhaust outside the computer case through a card slot in the back. Anytime you can keep heat out of the case to begin with, you're that much ahead of the game, especially a heat source that can get as hot as modern video cards do. I'm getting one just for that reason as mine makes a 2 or 3C difference exhausting inside the case. I imagine if I played anything more complex than Quake II at 1024x768 it would get a lot warmer in there. It will also makes your electronics last longer the cooler you can get them to run.

There is nothing that runs hotter in a computer than a high end video card during gaming and it's two times hotter than the chipset and CPU. I want as much of that heat out of my case as I can get, before it starts warming other things up! At $15 to $20 or so a VGA cooler is a good investment!

Happy Computering,
    theone

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There was a 3700+ Clawhammer, but only for 754. The X850 and X800 can both have VIVO if you want, but it may so happen that the 850 he's offering does and the 800 he's offering hasn't. The X850 is a newer faster card, but it's up to you on how much performance you need. Double the cost is quite a lot for what is really about 20-25% extra performance. I'm not freaking out about your voltages crowy, but I'm just apprehensive about your use of them for prolonged periods. The X800GTO is the low-mid end of the X800 range, the X800XT being the best but now impossibnle to find. If the X850 is an all-in-wonder, and you care about TV compatibility and lots of image processsing then it's a good buy. Otherwise the slightly lower-performing X800 is a better deal.
    Baltekmi: Yeah that's real good advice. Numerous people have used Arctic coolers on their cards and report extra results. They're very often quieter than the stock coolers, especially for X1900 and X1800 series cards in more cramped environments, and do a better job of cooling enabling more room for unlocking, overclocking and all that.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In response to your comment Russ (it sppaeared after I posted my reply) I agree. My X2 4200+, a relatively high end chip, doesn't exceed 57C at full load on the hottest of days. My X1900XT can quite easily make 80, in a well ventilated case. For a card that exhausts that kind of heat into a case, things can rapidly warm up.

9. crowy

crowy Guest

10. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    I have to agree.Especially when overclocking your card 25%,running 2 instances of prime torture test,playing quake7(LOL) and encoding videos while chatting on MSN!! throw a couple of steaks into your pc and in three minutes there cooked!!ROFL!!!

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol quite! Nice ebay shop! Buy me half a dozen, ship 'em over here, I'll pay you then sell them back on ebay for the right price!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  12. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    so you think they're a good deal,because I'm seriously thinking about one.Do you think the X850 is worth the extra$$?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That one certainly is!

14. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

i dont like my san diego... i just dont like it.. but then again.. i multitask like a ***** :) music.. halo server.... firefox.... xfire download... o an did yall hear that FEARCOMBAT is free online.. but dont put in an age under 17.. or else u cant try it again unless u use a different browser like going from firefox to ie for the second time...

have Fun,
    Ryan

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

FIHSNERD,
    What don't you like about it? I have one coming for a customer build that Tiger Direct is sending to replace the 64x3200+ that had only 512 cache on it. I don't expect it to be as fast as my D940 but I expect it will be faster than the 3.0 Prescott. I guess I'll find out in a few days!

Happy Computering,
    theone

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The san Diego is good! If you multitask like mad then you should have a Dual core! Don't knock it just because you overtax it.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Sam,
    As you know I'm still using the Prescott at a 10% OC and to tell you the truth there isn't a lot of differences most times to even notice. Encoding, now that's another story. I had to use RipIt4Me and DVD Decrypter which runs in real time at 1x! UGH!!! Still, it did it! Even a DVD Shrink copy takes 35 min. or so! Games play great though, Quake still plays at Max resolution, widescreen just fine. Same for Delta Fource Extreme! and that's with the FX5200 8x AGP.

My MB is supposed to be shipped from Asus, today so it may be here by Monday, a week. Knoxville KY to here goes by slow Yak! By the time it gets here it will have seen more states than me and I've seen 43! When I sent it they used a Burro and it must have thrown a shoe as it took 7 days! The funniest thing is it's the Railroads fault. Everything east of the rockies goes by either Union Pacific or Santa Fe. There's a saying here in this Railroad town, "When the Union Pacific is running slow, the Santa Fe is in reverse"! My money's on the Sata Fe's got it!

God, I miss my Dual-Core!!! Next upgrade for me will be the Gigabyte MB with the D-940 in it. It'll be a while as with the new MB will have to come DDR2 and PCIe x16 Video as well. Early next year!

Happy Computering,
    theone

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

theonejrs..What do U recommend for Video?I'm not much into gaming.But I do a lot of video,ripping,avi to DVD,DVD to avi,etc..But I'm also guilty of over taxing my computer,I like to D/L,read my E-Mail,rip or convert video all at the same time.Right now I've got a 3100+ Semprom 1.8GHz,personaly I think it sucks,I had a 2.2GHz AMD.But let a Tech talk me into the Semprom,supposedly a better & faster pross.,but I really don't find it so!!

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rick5446,
    Make that two votes for sucks. I've been very disappointed in every sempron I've built to date including a 3000+! The old Athlon XP was faster for the same given CPU speed!

Happy Computering,
    theone

20. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

theone,crowey
    The problem is, it does not exhaust through the back. It exhaust in the case. Really it is no problem. What I am saying is YES it does keep the vid card cooler! It replaces the stock cooler on the vid card. By the way instructions really suck for the BFG 6800 ultra.
    But there is NO Direct gain other then keeping it a lil cooler. The stock fan will keep it well below 120c! Which is the slowdown point for my perticular BFG nvidia vid card. So I am not saying it does not help to keep the board cooler but it does not help you realize performance gain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.