1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

interent disconnect with pop ups...please help

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by {TKO}, Mar 13, 2005.

1. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

when i am on line once i n a while it'll disconnect by itself. i noticed today that it seems to be with pop ups. like if i'm trying to play pool in yahoo where it'll pop up a new window for the rooms, it'll disconnect. i use firefox mostly, but it seems to do it with IE also. has anyone else had this problem and how can i fix it? thanx in advance for the help.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check for spyware & possible viruses. run adaware se, spybot s&d & do an online scan with www.antivirus.com free housecall

3. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Follow ddp's advice, always a good thing to know what little nasties are hiding in there.Who's your ISP? I had AOL dial-up and it ALWAYS dropped me. I got a free-trial of MSN and it was rock solid, could stay connected for days. Since moved up to cable but I know what a pain it is to have happen.

4. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

I am using cable and has never done this before, so I don't think that's the problem. I did do a check with both adaware and spybot and it did find problems, but it still does it even after I had them fixed. Also, I do a virus scan everyday with my AVG. I tried that antivirus.com and it says it's no longer up. Any other ideas? Thanx for the help so far BTW.

5. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

You could try a hijackthis search. Go to http://hijackthis.de/ and follow the directions. Be VERY carefull though, delete the wrong thing and you could really end up with problems. Best thing to do is post your log and let some experts analize it for ya. I even think there's a place on here for posting them.
    BTW did you clear your cookies, shut of system restore and delete your temp internet files before scanning?

When you say it disconnects, like your browser crashes, or you get a "xxxx.com could not connect". Or is it something that requires you to power cycle your modem?

6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

TKO yahoo is full of spyware.you might try Spy Sweeper its much better than ad/aware and spybot the House Calls is Trend Mirco website so type that in .which is a great virse scan my fav.

7. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

I just used yahoo as an example. It does it with almost all websites that use a pop-up to link you to another part of the site. No, I didn't clear the cookies, or anything. And it shuts the windows down completely. If that's all I'm doing it'll shut it all down and take me to the desktop. And IE does the same. This is really annoying. especially while pron-surfing, LMAO. Thanx.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try antivirus.com again & also download & run cwshredder

9. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

Ok. Update: I retried the antivirus.com, and as it is about to go to the actual scan it boots me from the net like I'm saying it does. I DL'ed CWShredder and ran it, it found nothing wrong. I have since tried the anitvirus.com thing more than once and it boots me from the net like the first time. Thanx fr the help so far. Keep 'em coming guys.

10. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

Still having the same problem. I tried restoring my PC to a previous date, nothing. Just for shits and giggles, I tried removing the current version of Firefox, but I rememebered that it does it with IE also so I reinstalled it. I am losing my mind here. I can use the net for the most part, but since things like yahoo pool keep me from going insane, it's becoming urgent. LOL.

11. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Just a thought, are you using a router?

12. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

Nope.

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

you might try unloading yahoo.run a virse scan and spyware scan clean the system out ,then reload yahoo and see if that works.

14. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

Unload yahoo? Please explain. That one is over my head.

15. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

as in removing the program from your system,toolbar ,chat ,games etc,

16. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

I don't have any yahoo stuf DL'ed on my PC.... Or is there something that's hidden that I wasn't aware of. Also, it's not just yahoo. It's all sites that use pop-ups to go to another part of the site. Thanx for the suggestion it may still work.

17. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

I'm still having the same problem and no one else seems to have any ideas. I've even searched around the net and found no other instances of this problem. I'm at the end of my rope. My only option is to finally get the dvd burner I've been putting off and back up my shhhhtuff and restore my PC. I really don't want to do that.

18. SilvaHaze

SilvaHaze Member

download ad-aware pro se and scan your whole pc for spyware and adware

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  19. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

I already tried a scan with ad-aware. Granted it wasn't "pro", but hence my question...what's the difference?

20. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

Ok. New development. I tried the Ad-aware scan again today after an update. and all of a sudden it freezes and stops responding at the same point during the scan. Does this mean anything. I am using Ad-aware 6.0. Thanx in advance for any help.