1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interlaced VOB Playback Help

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by augman000, Jun 10, 2007.

1. augman000

augman000 Member

Ok, I have one quick question and I want to know if this is possible or not.

If I play my interlaced VOB music videos on my TV (dvd player) they play smoothly and non-interlaced and just perfect really.

I want to know if there is any software or any filters or anything of the sort that will give me the same smooth, non-interlaced, perfect output that my TV has on my computer monitor.

I have a dual-core 64-bit AMD processor with ATI Radeon 9600 video card so multi-filters and multi-processing won't be a problem.

If there is a way, how? I don't care if it's freeware or commercial software/filters I just want to know if it's possible and using what.

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I'm sure they play fine, but if you have a standard analog (SDTV) television they're definitely playing interlaced. All analog televisions play only interlaced video, which is the reason for its existence in the first place. The problem with your computer is that it isn't playing it interlaced, so both fields are drawn at the same time. This is why combing (interlacing) artifacts don't show up on a television.
    You could use ffdshow for playback. It has many options for display-time processing, including using AviSynth (which has many deinterlacers) or DScaler, which has it's own deinterlacing built in.

3. augman000

augman000 Member

Ok so from what you've said about my TV and the two artifacts combining and all of that. What would be my solution for the computer to show the video as well as the TV? Do I have to de-interlace or do soemthing else?

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Yes, you'll want to deinterlace for computer playback. If the original source was film you may even be able to play the original frames without having to do real deinterlacing. NTSC video from film sources is generally encoded as progressive video and then has pulldown flags added to make it play at 29.97fps by repeating fields. By simply reading those flags it's possible to play the original frames with no fields repeated. I know this can be done with AviSynth (through ffdshow or by itself) and I'm guessing DScaler has this ability as well, although I don't use it myself so I could be wrong.

If it's from a video source instead it will have "real" interlacing. This can only be reversed by deinterlacing.

You can find more information on pulldown in my recent guide on frames and framerates:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/digital_video_fundamentals-frames_frame_rates.cfm