1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

interlacing

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by SUKIE, Feb 16, 2005.

1. SUKIE

SUKIE Member

hi to all of you.

ok. i grabbed my aunties holiday form her sony handycam using firewire into windows movie maker {dv av} done a bit of production to it and exported it as dv av uncompressed. {12 gig} file.

i then used super dvd creator 7 to convert to vob and then used the internal burner to burn to dvd.

playing back on my pc is fine but a standalone dvd player on a tv i get the fish teeth or interlacing.

all i want to know is , how is this prevented as it looks realy horrible, you only see it though when the cam is panning , on still shots its ok.

thank you for you time.

sukie

2. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

You will sometimes get this when an encoding program puts the wrong field first, I only use Canopus ProCoder to encode mpeg, this has a setting that allows you to choose which field goes first top or bottom. I am not sure if super dvd creator has this option. You could also check if Windows Movie Maker has this option, the other thing is to try exporting from movie maker in a different codec, I am not sure how good Windows MM handles the DV format.

3. SUKIE

SUKIE Member

thank you for your reply, makes sense.

so as for as i know, video recorded with a digi camcorder is progressive and when you decide to convert it to dvd you have to interlace it for tv, if thats your target medium,?

thank you

4. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

There are only a few of the pro level cameras that can shoot progressive, all the rest 99.9% shoot interlaced.

5. SUKIE

SUKIE Member

so under what conditions does one need to de interlace video, since the source and destination are interlaced, e.g digi cam to tv{dvd} via pc.

i know you can get prggressiv tv's now , and i wonder if you need to de interlace video if that would be your target medium?

cheers

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005