1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

intermittent internet connection...

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Judan911, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Judan911

Judan911 Member

I just recently reconfigured my Linksys router for port forwarding assigning a static IP address on both my router and TC/IP lan connection on my PC. Problem is, although I've increased download speeds, I lose my server connection intermittently and can't figure out if it has to do with my router settings or not. Any suggestions?

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Could be. Linksys routers have a reputation for conking out randomly. This is particularly prevalent during high-saturation (too many connections open at once). Another cause is download speed increases - as ISPs upgrade their available downlink bandwidth to customers, often the routers can't keep up. My old BEFSX41 couldn't handle above 3.5 Mbps, and my Netgear FVS-318 started randomly rebooting as my ISP brought us over about 4.5 Mbps, so when my ISP upgraded service above those limits, I had problems. If it's a new router, it might be a good idea to exchange it for a Dlink or something else. If not, the best option is to attempt to limited the number of connection attempts in whatever software you are using. A third option which MIGHT work is to put your machine in the DMZ, although you will have no protection from the router's firewall.

3. Judan911

Judan911 Member

Actually, I just fiqured out why my internet was dropping off. My ISP does not support static IP addressing on residential accounts, so I had to set my router back to dynamic and disable port forwarding, however by reconfiguring my XP machine and the router to enable UPnP mapping, I was able to have my speed back for downloads through remote access and also keep my internet connected at all times. Thanks for your advice
    Judan911