1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

internet connection in sabayon

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by anand_, Sep 22, 2007.

1. anand_

anand_ Member

I installed sabayon..3.4 and its working fine..The problem is when i try to connect to the net..being a noobie at linux i have no idea whatsoever..I use a broadband connection...which is very easy to configure in windows..(i read in some posts about the username/password for the connection in linux which i don't have..)..can anyone give me a brief description on how to go about it???
    Is there no setting like in windows where i click on internet options ..enter a few values and get connected???
    thanks..!

2. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

In what way are you accessing your broadband connection? Is it through a router-modem configuration via ethernet, or is it direct through a usb type modem? I have Sab 3.3 on my system, running through a router-modem via ethernet, worked out of the box (the modem is setup to connect, i just plug with whatever be it PC, Xbox360 etc).

3. deadlove

deadlove Guest

The day it doesn't kt there will be fun..
    I found out after some puzzlement that it's done a very different way in gentoo..

http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index....s_working_in_Sabayon_aka_The_Networking_Guide

linux is usually way easier to get connected than windows ever has been.. Most distros support every modem ever conceived out of the box. If you have something a little unusual, or an isp who isn't running a DHCP system you need a little info. Knowing your external IP is useful too. Just a few simple commands and connect (unlike the redmond junk which needs driver disks and isp spyware filled installers)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2007
  4. anand_

anand_ Member

thanks guys...!!!
    actually i shifted to mandrake and it is working fine..!!!
    no issues as such..!!
    i guess i'll stick to it...:)

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Great choice, my fave distro; which version you got there ?