1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

internet connection problems

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by edcecec, Apr 29, 2007.

1. edcecec

edcecec Member

Thought I'd ask you wise folks this before I call into the internet service provider and complain to them.

There are two computers at my house that can not connect to the internet. One, my dad's desktop, the other my laptop (when I plug in the cable)...neither of these can get online. After resetting the internet, sometimes it would be possible to go online for a short while before it cuts out again.
    All other computers in the house are fine, it's ONLY those two. So would it be a problem with the computers or the internet service provider? And if it's the computer, any ideas as to what the problem is and how to fix it?

thanks in advanced

2. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hi

could you explain a bit more about your set up. What internet connection do you have? Do you use a router? What kind of router (does it support more than one pc at a time, is it wireless, how are you connecting the pc's to it)? You mentioned you have many computers in the house (I'm assuming using, or trying to, the same internet connection), how many pc's? You said you tried "resetting the internet", how did you do this, at the router, or by disabling and renabling (or repairing) the connection at the computer?

If you explain these things I'm sure you'll find some help here.

3. edcecec

edcecec Member

ummm...
    internet connection: 100mbps, cable connection
    router: yes - smc, not-wireless, supports up to and has 4 computers hooked up to it (each one with a jack of its own)
    by 'resetting', pulling the plug on the modem box thing the service provider gave us, then re-plugging it in after 10 or so seconds. Also tried repairing connection at computer (right clicking the LAN icon in the system tray and clicking 'repair')
    ...any other info needed to solve this?

the router setup and everything else has worked well for the past many years...this problem just started a little while ago.

thanks again in advanced for any help

4. LDee

LDee Regular member

To be honest I don't know much about cable modems.

I'm assuming that your cable modem (which I guess sort of splits the computer data from the tv data which are both running down the tv cable) has something like a router incorporated (or is that seperate?) because it is serving internet connectivity or "routing" to 4 different computers.

Can you get into it to configure it somehow? For instance, with a adsl router you can connect to the router by entering the ip of your default gateway (you can find this by going to start > run > type "cmd" > at the command prompt type "ipconfig") in the address bar of a browser. From there you can check the settings of your router, but like I say I'm probably barking up the wrong tree in regards to cable modems.

What I was trying to get at anyway is: in an adsl router you have your username and password which you need to connect to your ISP, then to the internet. Usually aslong as your know your un and pwd and how to re-enter them into the router, you can choose the factory reset function in the routers config and then it will reset everything which can often solve problems. Then you would just re-enter your un and pwd so you can succesfully connect to your ISP again.

Then you would just make sure that your router is correctly acting as a dhcp agent (basically make sure this is ON in your router), this would make sure all 4 of your computers get an ip address that will successfully let them get on the internet.

Again, I'm not sure if this is relevant in your case so only do it if you are sure you know your un and pwd and if you are sure it won't mess up your tv settings (if you have that service) and if you are sure there are not any special settings in the router that you somehow need (after factory reset all previous settings will be lost, usually this is fine aslong as you know your un and pwd).

Oh yeah, stuff to try before all that on the pc's giving you trouble: go into start > network connections, right click and "disable" the network connection in question (these are shown here as the network interfaces that your ethernet cable is pluggining into, ie your network card, wireless adapter if you have one etc) then just right click again and "enable". Also, plug one of the computers that usually does work ok on the internet (laptop would be best to do this for convenience) into one of the ports on the router/modem that one of the computers that doesn't work is usually in and see if the new computer now doesn't work, and vice versa. You should be able to ascertain whether the problem is with the router or after that.

Anyone who knows about cable modems that could help?

5. edcecec

edcecec Member

Hey, thanks again LDee
    As of a few days ago, internet on all computers seem to be working fine again. Apparently, a number of people in the neighbourhood and even city have been experiencing some problems with their internet at the time. Have no clue what may have been the problem.
    But I'll be sure to try out your suggestions, hopefully I can avoid having the same problems occuring again.
    ...Thanks again LDee, and yeah, others feel free to give advice/spread some knowledge