1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet doen't work in Ubuntu.

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by retskrad, Dec 28, 2008.

1. retskrad

retskrad Member

I had a little discussion with the guys at ubuntuforum. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1024102

I'm beginning you to look at it. I'm making this thread, because if I make thsi one again, it will be a duplicate post there. So i'm beginning you to look at it and watch all the 11-12 pages.

In the beginnig, the problem was about error during install, thn after a fw pages, the internet problem comes up.

When I'm using ubuntu in windows with virtualbox, internet is working, but not while dual booting.

Also, please , again check the thread , all pages and please tell me your conclusion, what I should do.

Thanks, please, I really want to get away from windows.

2. varnull

varnull Guest

I don't feel like reading 11 pages. All the information you need is on the ubuntu forums.

3. retskrad

retskrad Member

Dop you use an chat client, like msn, yahoo messenger or something?

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Getting network connections under Linux is childs play, certainly wired connections. Wireless connections are a tad trickier, but only if an obscure or less-than-well-supported chipset is available.

You probably just need to turn off IPV6. Post the output of ifconfig -a, however as per varnull's reply, you're better placed on the Ubuntu forums.

5. retskrad

retskrad Member

Dop you use an chat client, like msn, yahoo messenger or something? I can give you all the information, about ifconfig, lspci and all that.

6. creaky

Yes, this is 2008 after all :)
    However Afterdawn doesn't work like that, we help people on the forums.
    I'm just reading thru that 11 page thread, and so far it looks like 11 pages too much. I don't use Ubuntu but as i say, there's nothing to setting up a network connection.

edit- am i right in thinking you don't have a router ?, ie just the modem from your ISP ?. In which case that's most likely why you're having problems. Have you considered buying a router ?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  7. retskrad

retskrad Member

I do not use a laptop. I do not know much about internet and network stuff, neither computers. but pelase, it would be much afster if we could participate ina chat...

8. creaky

I've been reading that thread and i have to say that i'm not amused by the constant begging for people to chat about this on IM clients. As i said before, if you want help you will only get it on the forums, pestering our members like that won't make you any friends here.
    My advice from what i've read of that thread is that you should consider a router, or at the very least you need to get to grips with understanding how networking works, especially under Linux.

I see it like this, if you get your network connection working without actually understanding how it works, you are going to end up with no working pc at all, as you are guaranteed to run more difficult linux problems later, and you are not ready for that, especially without a Windows pc/Windows internet connection to fall back on.

9. retskrad

retskrad Member

but, a couple of weeks ago it worked. Internet in ubuntu worked a couple if weeks ago, but now suddenly it doesnt... When I'm dualbooting windows internet works, but when Im dual booting ubuntu, it doesnt... I have tried to reset the modem, still nothing...

10. creaky

That's exactly why you need to research more into how networking works for yourself. Linux loves playing these kind of tricks, you just need to have a bit of knowledge with which to fix/alter things.
    This isn't like Windows where everything is done for you, you need to do some research for yourself. Building up knowledge into how things work 'under the hood' is a necessity in Linux, without this knowledge you are not equipped to be using Linux..

All the info you need is aplenty on google (for instance), you just need to start at the beginning.
    For instance look at the output from the commands the ubuntu people had provided in your 11 page thread and muddle your way thru it.

11. retskrad

retskrad Member

but I think its very strange... before it worked out of the box andnow it doesnt.. I have tried to play witht he network configuration... still nothing and I think my netwrk card is the most suported one on the planet...

12. creaky

Playing with the configuration is fine, providing you know enough about what you're playing with. Having a supported chipset is the easy bit, you need to do more research into the commands you'd already been given and try to tie up what the commands mean with what the output from the commands is saying. Then hopefully you will meet in the middle and start to understand what is actually happening (or not happening).

Until you start from the beginning and look into each of the provided commands more, you won't make any progress at all.

13. retskrad

retskrad Member

So.do you have any idea what the problem might be?

Have you read the 11 pages?

14. creaky

Not really. But my previous comment remains ->
    Yes. But you haven't. Not fully anyway.

There's nothing else i can add until such time as you've worked your way (logically) thru the help you'd already been given.

You come across as very reluctant to do anything at all to help yourself; as i say, you've been given enough clues to go on, but you're not trying to understand/work any of it out for yourself..and in which case i can't help you further.
    None of our other linux members here will say any different to you either..

15. retskrad

retskrad Member

Well.. its not right... inyternet should be connected right from first start... it does not need to learn like commands and all that to starts.. it doesnt make any sense..

16. varnull

varnull Guest

It will be in the dhcp configuration for the modem.. possibly some sign in method your isp uses..if it's working in a vm then take careful note of what settings/modules it is using and copy them across.

As for irc chat.. yes.. as owner of #afterdawn room and an ircop for brokenirc I think I know how that works XD .. but that doesn't mean I will help.. I call it n00buntu.. for good reason.. hehehe.. .

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2008
  17. retskrad

retskrad Member

It's like my modem doesnt regonize ubuntu and disconnects itself?

18. varnull

varnull Guest

Then it's definitely to do with your isp login settings.

19. retskrad

retskrad Member

How can you change that?

20. OzMick

OzMick Guest

I too couldn't be bothered with reading a massive thread. You do know that under a virtual machine, Ubuntu doesn't actually see your network card, don't you? The VM shows the guest a virtual NIC, whilst acting as a go-between for the actual hardware. I'd suggest that you don't have a working driver for the actual NIC in your machine.

And just to save you further spamming this thread and turning it into an 11 page duplicate of your other one with no actual content, no, I'm not going to chat with you in IM, and I've already unsubscribed from this one.