1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Explorer 7.0

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Jalover, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Jalover

Jalover Member

Yesterday I updated my Internet Explorer browser to 7.0, since then it hasn't been working properly even after I restarted my computer. The problem is, everytime I type a URL in the address bar and hit enter it will open the page in Firefox. I found that if I set IE as my default browser the problem goes away, that can't be right (unless microsoft is that malicious). I still prefer Firefox over IE but there are some sites I can only access on IE. Please help!

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

What sites can you only access on IE? That may be fixable...

Pretty much...

Also, why don't you uninstall and go back to 6. That is relitively OK, seeing as it is M$ and all.

3. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

uninstalling doesn't help, and system restore doesn't either... my internet browsing has been crippled thanks to IE7 and I can't find a way to fix it! maybe pop in my windows XP and do a repair? would that help?

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yes it should work.

5. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

Didn't work, formatted C:\ drive as I have my HD partitioned for such occasions... still messed... lost all hope and got pissed and formatted whole thing. Still messed? um... wtf? No hardware changes, just upgraded to IE7, then it was messed. But how the hell could this still be messed? I'm baffled at this. Somehow I think that at the same time I upgraded to IE7 my router or Cable modem must be on the fritz... but my PS2 and voIP phone work perfectly still so I dunno... I'm really lost...

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Hmmm this one's got me. Besides doing a fresh install of windows, which you did (ye?), I can only think to wring and bicth to M$...

7. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

oh I will... but I'm gonna rule out router and model messing up firts... would be a funny coincidence but its still a possibility.

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I don't think IE7 can over-rule your router, so to speak. Anyway check your options, like networking and how you connect to the net, etc.

9. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

I know IE7 can't do that. I just meant that there coulda been a problem occur with my router while I was installing IE7... like a freak coincidence that made me not really check my router or cable modem. Would explain how even after a format its still messed...

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Well, you can try it, but I doub it will help. Also, have you run a virus/spyware scan? If not, run one.

11. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

If a virus could get on my system with Avast and Ewido going, and live through the Format, it deserves to cripple my system... but anyways... no virus or any type of malware. I got pissed and formatted, I have a short temper for such things. I formatted C:\ first hoping that if I replaced the windows files it would be fixed, but nothing... then I figured that something on D:\ was causing the problem to carry over... so I backed up my needed files to DVD's and formatted...

Still having problems... I think it could be my modem or router... my Router is an old D-Link DI-604 and my router is a Motorola SB5100... I dun like Motorola gear myself... everything I've ever owned from Motorola broke down fast...

Gonna troubleshoot the router then call my ISP if needed...

12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Try updating the firmware/drives for both your router things.

13. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

I think I'm gonna cry... it was the router :(

Unplugged the router and POOF, everything is better than normal. formatted for nothing... I gotta control my anger and not do stupid things... Well, now the for weeklong process of getting back all my many programs and files not to mention Windows XP updated from my 2001 Release of XP home... damn thats a lot of updates... I've updated and restarted 5 times and I'm not to SP2 yet... Wish me luck lmao!

Edit> From some talking with people I know it seems that IE7 auto-configures you for Direct connect thus causing problems with your computer/router communication... I've yet to install my router or IE7 again since fixing it but it seems logical... maybe thats the problem?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  14. Ripper

Ripper Active member

There's an old saying, "If it aint broke, don't fix it."

In your case, that is too true. Why install IE7 again? Just go back to IE6 and Mozilla.

15. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

I don't intent to... IE7 was too strange looking for my taste anyways... the nav buttons and favs/history/etc were all layed out differently... and after using the exact same (just about) browser for years and years... it was too funky of a move heh

I prefer the layout of IE7 and Firefox over IE7 anyday.

Another thing that bothered me was the absent ability to alt+tab between the "tabbed" windows in the bowser... even tho I could open up multiple pages in one browser, the lack of al+tabbing the pages made it pointless to me... I use alt+tab frequently myself.

So yea, if it aint broke, don't fix it... Words to live by, and ones I say all the time when fixing cars heh