1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Explorer problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by john179, Jun 3, 2004.

1. john179

john179 Active member

Hi everyone i'am having problem while on the internet recently.I keep getting a window's error report message telling me my explorer has to close.I have sent the error message report to microsoft but have not been given any advise.I have scanned for a virus and all was clear + used system re store and had all the xp updates but it is still happening.Has anyone else ever had this problem or does anyone know how to fix without re formatting.
    Thanks
    John179

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

'fraid there isnt really a lot of information to run with -- explorer.exe can crash for a lot of reasons -- including "at random". Did you install something lately? Make a tweak? OC? Something must have cause a change somewhere... :)

3. john179

john179 Active member

I'am thinking to the fact that iam on broard band through cable tv where the modem is built in to the cable box and not seperate and that this may be causing the problem.I have not had any problem's until recently so it could be something i have installed.But i'll tell you one thing it is really starting to get on my nerves.It took me 3 goes to get to reply to this mail and it could shut down while iam writeing this.I would not mind but i like this forum and it is really annoying me as 80% of the time i spend on the internet is at this site.I do have a browse but it seem's to happen more when iam on this site.Even when iam trying to reply to mail through my msn account it tells me i have an error with a cookie so i have to search the web site to reply to each mail.I know as i spend most of my time on this site it is bound to happen most on this site but is happening every where now.I know if it is not down to my isp i could re format and solve.But hey the s_i_t would really hit the fan if it was down to them.Can anyone help or do i have to format for the 100th time.
    Cheers
    John179

4. john179

john179 Active member

Praetor just to let you know i think i may have resolved my problem but don't quote me on that.I keep going back on my re store point to what i call bc time on my pc.For the last 10 minutes no problem so iam hopeing i have resolved this little problem.If not i will keep re storing to the point where i call the time before life.If get to this point i will be on the grounds of reformat me again.Thanks anyway as you have been the only one to reply to my post obviously everyone else has not a clue either as iam s_i_ out of ideas.
    Bring me luck re store point
    Cheers john179

5. john179

john179 Active member

Spoke to soon it is back look's like mr reformat could be on his way around again as i have used all points.Has anyone a clue before i have to do.

John179

6. Praetor

Fraid not buddy ... some things to check and outside of that (and regardless of that IMHO), its a format:
    - Is the memory stable? Overheating memory can have its values ... "altered" and explorer will fail
    - IE patched up?
    - How many handles/threads/processes? (more than normal?)
    - Is it explorer.exe that is failing or is it iexplore.exe that is failing
    - Memory leak? (use the Task manager to track the amount of resources available)

7. john179

john179 Active member

Praetor just to let you know i have now found the problem.This was caused by the pop up blocker software i was using
    Cheers
    John179

8. Praetor

Good job! :)

9. john179

john179 Active member

Praetor it's not quite all done as thought.Iam still getting the problem here and there but it has cleared up a hell of alot since removeing some software.
    However i will get there and a big thanks to you for replying to my problem.

10. Praetor

Which popup blocker did you have problem with? I had some problems with one before but i cant remember what it was :)