1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

INTERNET LOADING SPEEDS/FREEZING

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by tommyd13, Nov 3, 2006.

1. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

OK, ill tell you right now i am not a pc wiz like many of you. With that said, i have a question. I recently had the cable internet installed and have a brand new laptop. I run the cable right to the pc and wireless to the laptop.
    My problem is this. On either computer, let's use Myspace for instance because there maybe a lot of you that will understand(i hope), when i attempt to login it will load about halfway and the windows flag will be flapping, but it will just sit there. There are times when i can hit the go arrow or refresh and it will be far enough to bring up the next page, but i dont feel i should have to sit there that long or mess around like that. Its the same when im clicking on a link most of the time. It gives me the feeling like something is going "well, should i let this happen or just ket it sit here while i think for a little?"
    Does this make sense to anyone? Also, myspace, if i go to a band page; it will not always bring up the songs in the window on the right, but the rest is fine. I feel its the same problem.
    Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks gurus!

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Have you tried another browser such as firefox?

3. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

Do you really think that the explorer is my problem? I cant see that being the problem since its a brand new laptop. I just wonder if its due to some privacy setting or maybe just the fact that we have 3mbps cable access. its just a pain. Maybe its just the router....?

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

The browser could be the problem as the laptop being new is irrelevant.
    Have you checked the browser it up-to-date?

Also check your securtiy settings allow full acess to internet browsers.

5. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

Ok, i will check when i get home, but how do i make sure i have the right updated version?

Also, how do i "allow full acess to internet browsers". I may already have that set right, but you will have to help me there. I guess you could say i know enough about computers to get me into trouble-LOL!
    Thanks again!

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Well to allow full acess, you need to go into your firewalls settings and make sure it allows your browser fully.
    What firewall are you using?

Also, to check for update, just click on Help at the top. It should say "check for updates" or similar there.

7. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

OK, i know there is help and support listed under help and it takes you to a place to download. I will search a little more but i remember finding a download for IE 7.0. I believe im running 6-

As for the firewall issue-that's what i was looking for and couln't find. Just how do i change my firewall settings?

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ok don't download IE7, stay with IE6, ok?

What FireWall are you using? That would be helpful..

9. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

i have no clue. Like i said, i dont even know how to changfe the settings because i dont know where im looking....

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ok then I will presume you dont have one and are using Windows Firewall.

I suggest you try FireFox to be honest.

11. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

Yeah, well, since we are on that subject. I have heard about them over the years. Now, i'm used to using IE, so how much more difficult is it to use? Is is as safe?

Speaking of safe; what are your recommendations to protect your computer? To clean the crud from the computer?

12. club42

club42 Regular member

Firefox is safer than IE and just as easy to use. I use zone alarm rather then windows firewall. To change settings for windows firewall go to control panel, Network connections then choose your connection and hit properties. Then just go to advanced. For troubleshooting your connection try going to http://www.dslreports.com/tools and run the tests.

13. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Also I recommend you run a HDD degraggmenter and a registry cleaner.

All available from Google ;-)

I use Agnitum Oupost Firewall; which I think is better than ZoneAlarm, but is harder to use, so I suggest you go with ZA for now.

14. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

OK, well lets stick with windows for now. Now im really lost! What do i have to "check off" in the advanced section?

15. club42

club42 Regular member

I cant say for sure bacause I dont use windows firewall. I have heard its a very weak firewall. I still would suggest zone alarm. I think before you worry to much about the firewall you should go to the website I mentioned before. You can test to see where your hangup is.

16. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

So, once on the dsireports.com website, what am i looking for exactly?

17. club42

club42 Regular member

Go to tools and then go to line quailty testing. Also do the tweek test and it will suggest changes in your settings. The line quality testing will see if your router is the problem.

18. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

Do you need to be a premium member to use the line quality test or just basic?

When i do the tweak test; i receive this message:
    * Downloading file of size 1024000: Failed to download: Read timed out
    I think i will go sit a little closer to the router and see what happens so i have a good signal strength. Also, i did find and turn off the windows firewall for a moment to see if it would speed things up, but it did not, so i turned it back on.

I have CClean Reg cleaner and i am going to use the windows defragmentor unless you have another suggestion.

19. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

Here are the results of my line quality test-hope this works:

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2126778

When i run the tweak test; i obly get as far as:
    *analyzing now. Please wait(20sec max)

Then it takes about 10min before it says something like analysis server offline. try again later.

20. club42

club42 Regular member

Try connecting strait to your cpu without the router. Your test results came back good so the only thing I could think of would be a virus or mailware. Try using your anit-virus and then post a hijackthis log. P.S. I am not the best to help with that but there are many people here that are. If you think it is a virus, mailware, rootkit ect. problem then I suggest you start a new thread in the Windows - Virus and spyware problems section. Sorry I couldnt help bud.