1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Possesed? Router Troubles

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Xplict91, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Xplict91

Xplict91 Member

Hello I been having problems lately with my Router. Before in the past I hade a linksys router that when I downloaded alot of files at once the router would automatically stop functioning and would require a reboot (disconnect power cable and reconnect), I thought it was the router so I went ahead and purchased a Belkin router thinking it could prevent this from happening, But the same exact problem is happening I downloaded 500mb at once and the router just froze and it didnt send a signal to my computer so i hade to reboot it (disconnect and reconnect power) and its been happening alot every time I download , I tried to direct connect the cable to my computer to my cable modem and it works fine it downloads and downloads with no trouble at all. But with routers it haves problems Please help!

2. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Can you confirm your finding by instead of resetting the router, resetting the PC and see if the problem remains or if also fixes the issue.

Let me know the results and we'll take it from there.

3. Xplict91

Xplict91 Member

yes I restarted also this is a constant problem I been having

4. denaid

denaid Member

I'm no expert on this but I was having the same issue with my router and using windows wireless connection repair seemed to fix it, don't have that problem at all now. Give it a shot, it might work for you.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I'll try and think of some more test to do and look for possible causes.
    It can't be the ISP as the speed is fine on modem.
    I can't see it being router hardware as it is happening on both models.
    It either has to be a config error on the routers 'not sure what yet'
    or something on the pc locking the routers ethernet port.
    What model numbers are the routers, and what isp are you using?
    Also if you know the model number of the NIC in your PC and driver version that will help (also OS on PC)
    Gotta eat now will have another look in a few hours though.

Cheers
    BigDK

6. Xplict91

Xplict91 Member

Im using comcast cable

Linksys router is Befsr41 cable/dsl Router Wired

And the Second Router is

Belkin F5D5231-4 4port cable/dsl router wired

Nic: Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Version of Nic :
    1/3/2008

Believe it or not while typing this message it disconnected on me while downloading a song. And Now i just direct Connected But I really need a router

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

It appears that you are not alone with issues on Comcast, but most appear to be users not getting the router to work at all.

Some or most of these you may already have done.

Set the NIC speed to manual 10 or 100MB not auto.

Either set DHCP to off and set IP address manually and then use the routers static IP address as next hop. Then set DNS to router’s LAN IP address as option 1, and after router is online interrogate stats and use the dynamic DNS server address of the ISP and set that as either option 2 in DNS on PC or option 1 making router’s IP address (default gateway address) as option 2.

Make note of the PC NIC MAC address
    command run ipconfig /all

Also ensure that MAC address cloning is turned on, as Comcast will expect to see the specific MAC address of the pc that was used at setup and registration, normally this would stop it working, but you may be getting away with for a while until a check is done and then the link is locked up.
    Ensure the MAC address of your PC is used in the router, so that then becomes what the ISP see’s.

In router settings ensure the correct DSL encapsulation is set PPP-oE etc...

Ensure MTU is set manually to 1492 (no bigger) possibly lower; this setting will probably be between 1460 and 1492.
    You can also set the MTU size on the PC NIC as well so everything is set the same, the router does not have to do any packet chopping then and this will free up CPU resource inside it to speed traffic throughput up.

Check how big the MTU can be by doing the following ping from your PC whilst online from cmd prompt.

ping -f -l 1492 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ( xxx is the address of the gateway seen by your router (the ISP end of the link))

As long as you get a reply your fine, you can see how big the MTU can be, if you get an error message indicating that your packet has been fragmented, you need to try a lower MTU size.

You may need to try a newer firmware on router if you are unable to use the MAC address cloning (if your router supports it) I think it does, but there are differences in UK and US spec’s.

Once everything is set as you think it should be, then go through a standard power up sequence: Modem – Router – PC

Not sure what else to suggest at the moment, hopefully something here might help!

8. Xplict91

Xplict91 Member

Hey I just got off the phone with my routers tech support and they told me to change the Nic Speeds to 10/mbps half duplex and it seemed to solve the problem but my internet speed has suffered from it,

Theres alot of other modes can anybody tell me whats the diffrence between each?

100/mbps full duplex
    100/mbps half duplex
    10/mbps full duplex
    10/mbps half duplex

originally it was set on Auto Then they told me to set it on 10 half duplex. I changed it to 100/mbps half duplex to regain my speed but Im not sure if Im going to have the same problem again

9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Duplex is the communcation channel between the devices (how they transmit and recieve data)

Full Duplex - Is where both devices can transmit data and recieve data at the same time (2 way conversation)

Half Duplex - Is where only one end can transmit at a time forcing the other end to listen and recieve until the transmit end stops, the other end then gets the chance to talk.

Basically Half-Duplex is nearly half as slow depending on what the signal path is doing 'data wise'

Depending on whether your download is using UDP or TCP sockets, also depends on how the transfers will perform, as TCP sessions require ackowledgement of successful transfer thoughout the transfer, so obviously your system would need to stop recieving any data, respond with an ACK and then resume recieving, and this would happen constantly thoughout transfer and is set by the TX window size.

Hopefully most sites you use will be UDP and will just use a CRC check to determine the successful transfer, this runs a test using an algorithm on complete data file and coming up with a figure which is the check sum, RX end then runs same test and figure should match, if not you need to re-download.

Still this happens very fast and would not be physically noticable, only noticable via stats generated.

10/100 is just the speed the interface is configured to (10MB or 100MB) the latter being 10x as far.

Both these speeds have large overheads associated with the data packets, so actual user data is not 10/100 MB even it the link is fully utilized, at best you'd expect 70-80% throughput over ethernet.

Again make sure you get the mtu size set correctly, otherwise you'll have transmit packets that can't get through and then require chopping and resending.

You can try this tool to do an auto optimisation of your setup, further advise on how to use it and run it correctly can be found at speedguide, you can also run tests to determine your effective throughput (both ways).

http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

10. Xplict91

Xplict91 Member

I think My problems have just been fixed Did some minor tweakings with your information and the tech supports information and Havent hade a real problem yet and im getting great speeed Thanks For the Help your a life saver =D

11. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Fantastic!

Glad to help