1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Recorders

Discussion in 'Audio' started by redbaron7, Jan 29, 2005.

1. redbaron7

redbaron7 Guest

Hello All,
    Its my first time posting on this section of afterdawn.

Hope someone has answers to these questions:

1.) Is internet recording software legal. I've read somewhere that its equated to recording something on a an audio cassette off of regular radio and is legal. But I wanted to confirm.

2.) What is the best quality audio compression format that one should use ? (One that is fairly well compatible with most players) and at what bitrate for the best (CD Quality or better) results ?

3.) Are there any guides that deal with all this stuff in general ? (something that explains bitrates etc in more detail)

Thanks !

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Good questions but hard to answer, at least the way they have been asked.

Recording for your personal use is basicly legal. It depends legally on where you live. I have never heard of anyone ever having problems.

The site below deals with streaming media recording. As such recording makes an exact copy of the stream being recorded, your question about formats and bitrates do not apply. That is all controlled by the author.

Conversion of audio or video files or any type of sound card recording or screen recording would have to take into consideration formats(codecs) and bitrates.

The best audio and most compatible audio formats are not the same thing. Most people just make a comprimise and use MP3. The bitrate used is up to your personal preference but it does not helo to use a bitrate that is higher than the original streaming audio bitrate.

Click below and start with the FAQ forum.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005