1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interstitial ads no longer visible for registered users

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by dRD, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

always logged in...

hey there dRB at this moment in time i have been on ad for 10 mins answering via email links in them and havent had a popup, it only happens sometimes, its not a definate thing...

this past week i have clicked links in pages or on software or guides and got a full page Advert with a redirecter saying click here if you dont want to wait etc or be redirected in 10 seconds, and i am sure its here that i get a popup (half size new window with an ad picture in it)

if its a problem i will watch what links i click from now on and try to get back here with it for you!

but to note i just built a new pc and the old pc wasnt doing this! it stopped ages ago, so could be i had extra blockers on that old pc and this one doesnt? as i think xp pro can block content aswell as my norton internet security running?

==============================

just clicked software at top of this page and got this one!!!

[​IMG]

==============================

also went here and clicked link and got this one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Rotary: Yup, you do get pop-unders still from our site, we haven't removed them (yet..? They do produce about significant portion of our income..).

So, lets summarize how things should be now:

-For www.afterdawn.com domain you will get one pop-under, which is session and time capped, i.e. you wont receive another pop-under for that domain until 24 hours have passed. This applies to all users, whether logged in or not. Note, the main front page of the site wont spawn any pops, ever.

-For forums.afterdawn.com, same system as for www.afterdawn.com. Again, same for logged in and non-logged users.

-For www.afterdawn.com, we use interstitials (the "in between" full page ads you'll see for 10 seconds until you get redirected to the correct place) for software item's homepage links (like the one you mentioned) and in some instances, to the "Best links" links visible in the sidebar. This applies to all users, whether logged or not. And these are, again, capped to max one per 24h period, so getting two within 24h period within www.afterdawn.com domain should be impossible.

-For forums.afterdawn.com, we use above-mentioned interstitials for links posted in messages that direct to outside *.afterdawn.com -domain scope. Again, maximum is one per 24h period. And this should be done currently in a way that only people who haven't logged in, get these.

-Additionally, we obviously use 728x90 leaderboards ("big banners") across our site (apart from www.afterdawn.com's homepage and forums.afterdawn.com homepage), 120x600 "skyscrapers" in selected pages on www.afterdawn.com (but not on forums.afterdawn.com) and 300x250 "box ads" in long threads, just before the last message on each page. Finally, our news at www.afterdawn.com carry "contextual" ads, where some of the words get "double-underlined" automatically and allow linking to sponsors for each keyword.

Phew, that's a lot of ad types :) Despite that, I personally think that we've managed to make the ads as non-annoying as possible, tiptoeing the thin line between user experience and ad dollars. But yes, we have thought about reducing the number of ad types eventually -- this all depends on variety of things. Lets say the "non-intrusive" ad types (leaderboards, box ads and skyscrapers) generate "enough", we will most likely begin a slow process of reducing ad types. The removal of interstitials from forums for logged users was the first step -- I'd imagine removal of popunders in forums for logged users will be the next.

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yes say that again PHEW! i had to read that twice, and its still lost me - lol - i will take your word for it, to be honest its not that annoying i just close them...

but its funny i am always the ""WINNER"" muhahaha.....

cheers...

4. dRD

You got that one right. I'm personally slightly ashamed of the crap our ad networks sell to the popunder and interstitial inventory at times. IMO, ads actually do boost the site's usefulness if they are highly targeted and provide information for the user that he/she has use for. Thus, the Goooooogle ads we run on our banner space tend to never cause any complains, as people find them useful rather than annoying. But yes, those stupid "you're winner" ads do drop the overall quality of the site and as the very first step I've been planning is to contact our ad networks and ask them to remove crap like that from our inventory, even if it would harm our bottom line.

5. arcanix

arcanix Active member

When using firefox with adblock plugin it doesn't matter if the site has ads or not.

6. dRD

arcanix: Alright. So, basically your idea is that AfterDawn should provide content for you for free, as we do now, but we shouldn't get any ad dollars either to pay the servers, but instead pay the hosting fees for 8 dedicated servers from our own pocket?

7. arcanix

arcanix Active member

I have never in my life clicked even one ad on internet, so it doesn't make any difference. I would just be annoyed with the ads and you would have one user less.

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@dRD

Just my two cents... coming from a business man myself…

Just remember that you can only please at the most 98% of customers, paying or not, no matter how hard you try. The other two percent use popup blockers with their Firefox browser. <G>

If anyone has used the internet for more then 1 day, I highly doubt that they never ever clicked on an ad here and there.

With over 300,000 users on your site you deserver to make a profit to pay the lights and heat!! aD or AD away any way you choose. Just for kicks, how many users did aD take on AFTER you added the ads in the threads? I doubt you lost any at all.

9. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Regular member

i use firefox all the time and i still get some popup / unders from ad and other sites and my adbocker but im not worried any ways just close them and thats it

10. jin666

jin666 Regular member

Agree with Pheonix 21, but hey guys, your doing a grand job. Keep up the good work dRd!

Jin666

11. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

I don't mind ads if they keep paying for AD :)

12. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I agree also...

As for me when I open up aD from my email to read the updated thread I get one pop up ad and thats it i close it and then i dont see it ever again for that day... So if it takes me one click to close its worth it... :)

13. jin666

jin666 Regular member

Agreed!!!

Jin666

14. Glitched

Glitched Guest

yah that happens to me 2 the first time i open a thread but thatas the last 1:),who cares for 1 pop up ,enjoy this gr8 free site

15. acemanx

acemanx Guest

do you guys know how to get a xbox to download games and then burn them on to a blank cd please if any one knows please tell me p.s. does any one know of any free emunlators for download

16. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Regular member

acemanx
    Wrong Forum Mate go here http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/118
    anyways talkin about downloading xbox games is against forum rules

As Long as AD is still up i couldn't care about the ad's

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005