1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intervideo dvd copy platinum 2 : problem

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by brian100, Mar 23, 2004.

1. brian100

brian100 Guest

I downloaded this demo version today (after inadvertantly downloading version 1.2 on sunday).

I procssed the movie through shrink to remove all unwanted soundtracks & subtitles, then proceeded to process through Intervideo dvd copy platinum 2.

On initial viewing of the output i simply could not believe the quality of output..simply stunning!!, considering the (lack of !!) time the software took to process the movie.

I noticed a big problem with the software though. The movie (after processing) exhibits large white pixellation at regular intervals throughout the movie. They only appear when the movie skips to a new scene. They never appear mid scene.

I have checked the output file on my pc and the pixellation problem occurs on the file. I re-ripped & processed the movie again but the same problem occurs. This is not a "media" or "burn" problem.

has anyone else had similar problems to me ??

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2004
  2. frisk

frisk Member

I tried to copy Down with Love yesterday and I have
    these white blocks/artefacts throughout the whole movie not only in particular scenes

3. brian100

brian100 Guest

Frisk

Thanks for your contribution. This problem must surely be known to Intervideo now. The movie you backed up "Down with love", was the "ripped" file (before transcoding) on the large side?.I would be interested in your reply. many thanks in advance.

4. FlameRT

FlameRT Member

I had the same thing happen....used dvd decrypter..then dvdcopy plat. 2 on The talior from panama....was the worst pix. ive seen, started at the very begining, watached about 10 mins of it and tossed it in the garbage....burned it with shrink and nero...no problems.

5. FlameRT

FlameRT Member

Also took much longer then shrink....for the encoding
    these are the times
    14.36 min's for dvd decrypter to rip
    61.42 min's for dvd copy plat.2 to encode and burn

33.27 min's for dvd shrink and nero to burn.

as you can see it took 1:16 mins total to rip and encode and burn...vs the 33 mins with shrink and nero.
    and on top of taking soooo long...the movie was un watchable

6. zest

zest Member

ok i was having a problem with intervideo similar to yours until i dicovered i was making a simple mistake.
    when you switch from encoding to burning make sure you open up to the video_ts file for example:
    i store my intervideo movies in a file called dvdcopy,
    and i always name my movies so when it comes time to burn i set my source to dvdcopy/unforgiven/video_ts now i have perfect copies. i hope this helped

7. brian100

brian100 Guest

zest

I dont see how your solution would work mate, if the artefacts are present on the encoded file. Any manner of burning the image would still exhibit the white artefacts..please explain further if I have misunderstood.

8. FlameRT

FlameRT Member

I did burn it out of a folder and opened the TS folder.
    The burn went fine....it all the white artifacts in the picture that keep showing up...that made it un-veiwable.
    They seem to be random...they are in diffrent spots on the screen, and they come and go.

9. zest

zest Member

my personal experience was with pulp fiction. i first burned it at the file before video_ts and suffered from random white blocky pixelation that came and went.
    i then desided to give it one more chance at the video_ts file and everything was fine , same media same computer ect.
    however i am in no way endorsing this product , in my search for the " perfect " software, i was hoping that this was the one ,after all that hype .
    im not happy with the lack of a compression meter , i like to know how much compression is going on ,
    im also not happy with the lack of info when it comes to which audio file to use.
    no way to adjust the burn ie. 2x 4x ect.
    overall the movies just dont look that great to me compared to using other software [ shrink dvd2one ]
    in short be happy with the wonderful free shrink , bless the person who developed it , i just wished i gave my money to him[or her ] and not intervideo

10. FlameRT

FlameRT Member

I'll 2nd thatShrink is still #1....and Im glad Intervideo...Had a try it before you buy.

11. brian100

brian100 Guest

Thanks all for your input. I am pleased i downloaded the trial rather than purchase the full product.

I sugest that all unhappy Intervideo dvdcopy users vent their splein to the owners & testers of the following "forum" (and i use that word in the loosest of all possible terms!!) :-

http://www.dvd.box.sk/articles8.php

Undoubtably one of the most offensive misleading tests ever conducted on the net who's sole purpose is to mislead.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2004
  12. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

Brian100, I agree with you that the article was misleading. I have tried DVD Shrink, Nero Recode, Intervideo DVD Copy, and Pinnacle Instant Copy. This is what I have found. keep in mide, besides DVD Shrink, they were all decrypted first with DVD Decrypter, then burned with the encoders. Also, I was backing up the Family Guy series for these test, all of these dvds were about the same size, about 7 gigs each.

DVD Shrink- Yes its free and has lots of features, especailly for being a free product, but has a lot of flaws with pixelation and I used to use this program religiously. Also, if you are reauthorizing the movie, menus must be disabled

Nero Recode 2- UI almost the exactly the same as Shrink (from what i hear, it was developed by the same dude who made shrink). I think it has the coolest features when it comes to customizing, Menus can still be enabled and features that are disabled can be replaced with stills of your own to add your own touch to your new movie. as far as the picture quality, not bad, very little pixelation, better than shrink, but still some visable pixels at times.

Intervideo DVD Copy- I rushed and got the trail after I saw the article on dvd.box.sk, but was disappointed with the results. got that pesky white box throughout the movie. Granted, it was the fastest by far, and the picture that I did get was very good, but and a big but, that white box was too distracting to be considered a true "back-up"

Pinnacle Instant Copy- This was the best of the bunch, the back-ups came up clear and noticed no pixelation. The only draw back was that Instant Copy, by far, was the slowest. But the end product is what counts, and this is the best, hands down.

If I had to order the programs, it would go as followed:
    1. Pinnacle Instant Copy
    2. Nero Recode 2
    3. Intervideo DVD Copy
    4. DVD shrink

I hope this could help.

13. brian100

brian100 Guest

deezp1

Thanks for the response

I totally agree with your findings, Pinnacle instantcopy is, by far, my preferred tool.

I have contacted customer support about this pixellation problem. I will re-post here with any news or update. Don't hold your breath though !!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Why are The Samaritans always englaged?[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2004
  14. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

I did the same thing with Shrink and dvd copy 2 together. I got pixelation marks going throughout the screen on the extras. I'm thinking it was because of encoding with Shrink first. I'm not sure though.

15. MysticE

MysticE Active member

There seems to be some problems with InterVideo 2 which the company has acknowledged. InterVideo 1.2 (which was used in the test) can produce very nice results indeed. To do a strictly 'Movie Only' (no menu) backup, first rip 'Movie files only' in Decrypter then go with ver. 1.2. Their normal (full rip with Decrypter or the use of AnyDVD) will leave the menu. On a long film the results are great. Both versions seem to have problems when you start deleting things (as does InstantCopy which may produce burns that are not compatable with all players).

InterVideo has some work to do, but their transcoding engine is excellent.

@brian
    You should not process thru Shrink to test someone else product. There can be new variables involved when the files are encoded by Shrink... even if you choose no compression. I'm currently playing around with DVDRebuilder and the author specifically advised against using Shrink instead of one of the ripping programs to pre-process. Obviously this was not the way DVDBox's test was done and they did not or could not test for every conceivable burning combination.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  16. brian100

brian100 Guest

MysticE

eeeeeeerm well i almost agree there..I can't see any problem at all in processing a "movie only" rip that needs compression, via another software transcoder of encoder. I fully appreciate that other "issues" may be introduced by DVDshrink, although I have NEVER encountered any such "issues" I have tried this method, through shrink, to prepare "movie only" rips for Pinnacle instantcopy, DVD2one etc etc for testing purposes & have encountered no problems whatsoever.

I am also testing DVDrebuilder and had a lot of problems removing extras, prior to re-encding, but NONE if i prepare a "movie only" rip, through DVdshrink. I have been using DVDstripper & Titlesetblanker for "extra" removal.

The dvdbox's test leaves a lot to be desired. Have you had a close look at the "samples" @ 300% for the "original" & "intervideo"???. To me they are the SAME sample. But of course this is a whole new argument & open for obvious discussion (on another thread perhaps)

I have looked on the intervideo web site for any news on compatibility issues with any other 3rd party sofware. I simply can't find it.

If anyone is interested in viewing the "pixellation" i, and others, have encountered take a look at this link :-

http://69.50.228.78/test.jpg
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Why are The Samaritans always engaged?[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2004
  17. MysticE

MysticE Active member

@brian
    With so many variables (OS's/upadtes/codecs/hardware/drivers and all the associated version numbers of each, etc.) it's a wonder anything works at all. To figure out all the compatability problems of complicated software can be almost impossible. That's why lean, tight code, un-automated programs like Shrink and DVD2one seem to work for many people. Just like as many people like InstantCopy 8 (I for one), for many it's a POS.

But I do believe DVDBoxe's conclusions are accurate, when going for a major shrinking almost all of the commercial products (including 321 products) will produce better video than Shrink and Recdode. But for the pick and choose/reauthor crowd Shrink and Recode always produce highly compatable DVD's.... but notice they've chosen to not deal with menus, the Achilles Heel of most of the others when it comes to player compatability. I've done straight Movie Onlys with InterVideo 1.2 (leaving everything at default) and the results have been very nice.

I've now gotten setup with DVD Rebuilder (free)ver.39 and CCE 2.50 (took a little while), as have you. I'm sure he set it up as Whole Disc to aviod the problems that seem to plague the others. For those who like doing the whole DVD the results are simply amazing (I use 4 pass CCE encoding). I'm a movie Only type though and have no need for extras and menus so I will now try ripping first in Shrink. There is also a totally one step, Movie Only, free program out there which also uses CCE, DVDReasy. But I can't get it to work and I'm tired of trying or figuring out what on my system is causing the problem... I'll just wait for another update or two.

For anyone who wants to try Rebuilder, here's a pretty good guide. You can also use other freeware encoders with it.

http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvdrb.htm

18. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

Yeah I have the same problem as brian with the pixelation. It probably happened because I removed audio and subtitles from the dvd in dvd shrink. Then I burned with Intervideo Copy 2.

19. frisk

frisk Member

i did only full dvd copies with intervideo dvd copy 2
    (left nothing) and had the same pixelation problem with
    various disc

i don't use the program anymore and maybe will go back
    if version 3 should become available once.

InterVideo has much work to do, but their transcoding engine would be excellent

20. lcymru

lcymru Member

After previously using the "old" version (1.2) I'm having the aforementioed macroblock problem with DVDCopy2. Intervideo support told me to uninstall, then clean out the program file folder, and reinstall because remnants of the "old" version may be causing the problem. Has anyone has success with this approach? The support person said he'd never heard of the macroblock issue with DVDCopy2, by the way.