1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invisible files? BitTorrent stole my HD space

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by joereform, Jan 1, 2006.

1. joereform

joereform Member

Maybe someone can help out here.

I was using BitTorrent 4.3.0 for OS X to download a 4.5 GB torrent on an external hard drive, due to the fact that I did not have that much space left on my laptop's internal hard drive. Problem is, someone came along and unplugged that HD while it was downloading (extended family can be pretty clueless sometimes).

When I plugged the hard drive in and re-started the Torrent, it promptly took the rest of my hard drive space on my laptop's drive. The preferences still have the torrents mapped to the external drive, so the only conclusion I can come to is that BitTorrent caches the Torrent on the internal hard drive and only writes it every now and then to the external drive.

Long story less long, I cannot find where BitTorrent made off with my hard drive space. Where would it have cached the torrent? I would like to erase that file/folder and reclaim the limited real estate I have left on my internal drive. Thanks for any help you may give!

2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

have you tried simply doing a search for the file...

3. joereform

joereform Member

Yes. The torrent was actually a set of .avi files, and they are nowhere to be found on the internal hard drive. I saw the amount of free space on the internal HD dwindling as the torrent downloaded, in spite of the fact that the destination was set to the external drive. BitTorrent is the culprit, and it has cached away my free HD space somewhere. Exactly where is the question.

4. herojig

herojig Guest

i rememeber something like that with bitcomet, as well as getting really fragmented files. Try Azureus. It handles a write cache well and keeps things neat and tidy.
    jigs

5. joereform

joereform Member

Thanks for the assists. I figured it out. When my HD was unplugged, BitTorrent couldn't find the mounted volume, so it created a new directory in /Volumes with the same name as my external hard drive. Since the /Volumes directory is invisible from the Finder, I had to go into the command line Terminal to rm the files. All better now!