1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Io Magic DR-DVDRW248 - External Vs. Internal

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by ThePastor, Jan 19, 2004.

1. ThePastor

ThePastor Member

I am going to try to jump into the DVD authoring game and have recently started looking for drives.

Most seem to be in the $150 to $250 range and I can't seem to tell any real difference.

I found this drive: http://www.iomagic.com/Products/show_all_results.asp?Category=6&ProdID=DR-DVDRW248EU1&Search=Search
    and can't help but wonder if there are some major trade-offs since it is so much less expensive. (only $100)

Any thoughts about this drive?
    Io Magic DR-DVDRW248

Also, I wouldn't mind having an external, (this drive is external) since it seems that it would be more versitle, (I could bring it to work)
    Are there any major trade-offs external Vs. internal?

Thank you

The Pastor

Last edited: Jan 19, 2004
  2. cdcoaster

cdcoaster Member

Hi ThePastor,

If u r going 4 an external drive u need 2 make sure u have a firewire connection on ur pc 2 link it up as this is the fastest data transfer link 4 something external.
    Prices usually depend on the speed of the drive, how fast it can read/burn a disc and what burning formats it supports.
    Most DVD writers made now r dual format that is they support the burning of +R and -R and +RW and -RW discs, there are others, but this seems 2 b establishing itself as the standard 4 DVD writers/rewriters.
    Most external drives cost more seemingly because of the way they r encased, u need a good robust case 4 an external drive as they r far more prone 2 damage, especially if they r being moved around/dropped/knocked, precision alligned lasers don't like that sort of thing! But u should b able 2 find the same spcification in an external/internal drive.
    Prices also vary depending on what software is included with the writer, hope this helps, i am no expert on this subject but these are my findings from checking them out for myself with the intention of buying 1. There r many people here that know far more than i on this subject so checkout the guides that r here there could b something of help that someone has written.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]coasterboy

[bold]FREE SPEECH![/bold] It's deathly quiet without it!
    [bold]I may totally disagree with what you say but i will, "Defend to the death your right to say it"[/bold][/small]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
  3. ThePastor

ThePastor Member

I really appreciate the response. If I go with external it would be USB since that's compatable with my work computer, (no ability to upgrade this computer)
    I've owned an external CD burner in the past and it seemed good (SCSI) except the SCSI cable tended to go bad.

I guess the question simplified is: Will a fast DVD external burner (usb) be as fast as the same in an internal configuration? and, does the USB connection cause other problems like more unreadable disks.

I did figure out that the above mentioned burner is only compatable with +R +RW and not -R -RW which could explain the price. I've since found several models in the $120 to $150 range which seemed a bit more versitle.

The Pastor

4. cdcoaster

cdcoaster Member

Hello Pastor,

I am assuming that u have USB 2.0, not USB 1.0?
    USB 1.0 is far 2 slow 4 DVD writers if u use USB u will need USB 2.0.

Transferring large amounts of data is easy with the USB 2.0 interface which offers transfer rates up to 480 Mbps – 40 times faster than USB 1.1 speed! (although it is dependent upon the power of the computer it is being used with).
    4 more info on USB 2.0 check out this link, sorry if i am telling u something u already know
    but as u will understand it's impossible 2 know what some1 already knows, and i always try and give as much info 2 people 2 allow them 2 come 2 their own decisions, especially when it comes 2 spending money!

http://www.usb.org/info/usb_nomenclature

The transfer rate 4 external DVD's using USB 2.0 is more than adaquate and in some cases quicker than internal transfer rates, it all comes down 2 the specification of ur PC.
    There is no reason why u should get a higher rate of DVD coasters than with an internal writer.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]coasterboy

[bold]FREE SPEECH![/bold] It's deathly quiet without it!
    [bold]I may totally disagree with what you say but i will, "Defend to the death your right to say it"[/bold][/small]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2004
  5. ThePastor

ThePastor Member

This is great! Exactly the response I was looking for. I'm off to check my USB status on my work computer, and I will be making sure of the USB status on the new computer I am about to purchass!

Seems like external is the way to go.

The Pastor