1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iomega drives

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by garyc, Sep 4, 2003.

1. garyc

garyc Member

I am considering buying a DVD +/- and have read the various threads with interest.

I know some more minor manufacturers' drives have been discussed to death and that the Pioneer 106 seems to be the generally favoured solution.

But I have been looking at two possible Iomega drives as well.

First the Iomega Dual Format DVD+RW 4X2.4X12XDVD-RW4X2X12CD-RW 16X10X40X which runs at around £140.

Second the Iomega Super DVD. Seems to be about the same as the other drive except that it has DVD RAM and seems to be one of the only all format drives (including DVD RAM) currently available. Best price I have found is £171 at Amazon of all places.

So, what do you all have to say about these drives?

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Buy the Pioneer DVR a05/105 DVD-RW @ http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk
    Was £100 last time I looked , the Pioneer 106 is only about £128-130

Have you any use of DVD-Ram that you can think of ..?

3. herbsman

[bold]Or this NEC dual format , again @ SVP
    [/bold]
    {HA 433} NEC ND-1300 4x DVD writer supporting DVD+R(W) and DVD-R(W)

The ND-1300 is NEC´s 4x DVD writer supporting both DVD+R(W) and DVD-R(W).

Many of our customers are very happy using a single DVD Recording format (ie the excellent Pioneer 105 DVD-R recorder), but other customer have told us that they prefer a DVD Rewriter that offers them the choice of + or - recording, and don't mind paying extra for the drives that offer that facility.

Buying a +/- dual format drive removes the compatibility issues that have slowed the take-up of DVD re-writers by incorporating multiple optical storage formats in one product. The ND-1300 removes the guesswork once and for all, enabling end-users to create disks for play-back in virtually all DVD video players and DVD-ROM drives with no compromise in performance. ND-1300 delivers a very fast and reliable performance at both reading and writing media. Its performance enables the ND-1300 to record one hour of DVD Video in 15 minutes. The product also includes ACTOPC - NEC´s high resolution writing strategy to enhance the accuracy of written data. ACTOPC provides the user with improved quality of data copying - whilst allowing for local anomaly in the media- manufacturing tolerances, finger marks etc.

We recommend the following software for use with this unit: -

Nero 5.5 (for data writing), InCD (package writing), NeroVision Express - (DVD and CD authoring), Nero Cover Designer, Nero Toolkit and Nero advance audio editor from Ahead

MyDVD 4 (confutable DVD authoring) and CinePlayer (DVD and CD Video playback) from Sonic

Showbiz from ArcSoft (Video cutting software with timeline and storyboard support)

Shipping cost will be calculated and displayed by the website before you finalise your order. The price below is inclusive of VAT.

Click here for firmware update allowing the use of Princo dye media http://www.dvd-recordable.net/modul...=Downloads&file=index&req=viewsdownload&sid=6

Price: £99.98 Including VAT at 17.5%

4. koola

koola Guest

Iomega DVD burnner bahh humbug!
    Listen to Herbs, buy either a Pioneer or an Optorite, NEC probs good but Optorite is better.

Good luck deciding :)

5. garyc

garyc Member

Thanks guys.

Got myself the Pioneer 106 at the end of the day. Arrived the other day and i burned my first DVD - a 12GB AVI that i had previously had to pop onto VHS or VCD. Fantastic. So far 100% success. The quality is aaawwwsome. Best £130 I have spent in ages!

6. herbsman

A 12Gb AVI file onto one disc ?

Is there a decimal point missing at all ?? ; )

7. garyc

garyc Member

Not 12GB onto one disk as an AVI obviously but a 12GB AVI converted to DVD using Pinnacle Studio 8.

If you capture full quality DV or create an AVI using Studio the files are about 200MB per minute. MPEG capture is similar size.

So far I had to use Studio to produce the VHS or VCD from those AVIs. Making the DVD was a doddle. Basically click and go. Took about 3 hours to reformat and burn just under 1 hour of footage but making VCDs was also time consuming.

8. herbsman

Yes capturing uses enough HDD space , your right : )

Good to hear your well happy w/ your new burner Gary

9. koola

koola Guest

Yep Gary, good choice. You will not go far wrong :)