1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ip address

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by omgomga, Sep 23, 2007.

1. omgomga

omgomga Member

ok, so I was about to download something and in the information about the file there was a bunch of things (I'm guessing computer generated stuff)and under that it said "lol" "your IP address has been recorded see you in court" it also said "you will recieve a courier package in the mail"

What do I do

Is that even possible??

Somebody help

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

OF COURSE it's possible. how do you think people keep getting sued for downloading?

of course, this sounds more like someone being retarded...the media mafia has not been much of a proponent of internet slang, i.e. "lol."

if you're ignorant to the possible consequences of illegal downloading, you shouldn't be doing it.

what do you do? you do some reading on court cases, your local laws, and better ways to pirate; or, just stop pirating. :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

4. chwoolgar

chwoolgar Regular member

Did you actually click anything accepting T's & C's?

Im quite sure there's a law that you are allowed to downlaod any copyrighted file if you delete within 24 hours, anyone know if this is correct?

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i'VE NEVER HEARD THAT ONE and I'm sure its false information

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

in the US, UK, and most of western europe, that would be complete and utter bovine excrement.

7. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

You are correct. They (The site/whatever service you are using.) are simply taking what certain ROM sites say. "You can do whatever you want with this <!insertsomethinghere> for 24 hours, then you need to delete it."

Plain stupid. There has never been such law.

8. chwoolgar

chwoolgar Regular member

Realise it is not true now:
    Source: http://www.siia.net/piracy/pubs/statement_24hour.pdf

The 24-hour rule and Abandonware are urban legends created and circulated to justify violations of copyright law on the Internet. The 24-hour rule claims that a user can download a program and use it for 24 hours to determine if they want to continue use-they then have to delete it or buy it. Adandonware is a term used to describe software that a copyright holder has ceased distributing or supporting for more then five years. In fact, neither exists under copyright law.

Users who promote the mythical 24-hour rule are attempting to justify their infringing activity. They establish sites to illegally distribute software under the false premise that it is legal to do so, as long as the downloader buys or deletes it after 24 hours. Those who provide the software, and those who download the software, often unsuspecting or unknowledgeable users, may be held liable for this activity.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007