1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iphone 3g 1.1.3 bricked

Discussion in 'iPhone - General discussion' started by nosajsolr, Apr 24, 2010.

1. nosajsolr

nosajsolr Member

FYI, i have THOROUGHLY researched this problem and have found NO SOLUTIONS yet. my out-of-warranty iphone just took a dump after trying to restore it to 3.1.3. i can put it into DFU and recovery modes, but every time i go to click "update and restore", it freezes on "preparing iphone to restore", and the phone screen goes white. I have tried many jailbreak tools and multiple computers, USB ports, and cables. MANY people have experienced this problem, but no solutions are out there (even on youtube). does anyone know if this iphone can be saved, or should i just sell it?

2. KingKite

KingKite Member

Hi there, I have the exact same problem with my jailbroken 2G (Original) with 3.1.2 firmware. A 3rd party app called "battery control" finished its trail, and crashed winterboard and the phone.

Since then, I have restored it over and over gain, and it even struggles to get into DFU mode. I too have tried different machines, cables and USB slots. Can I ask what errors codes you have had? I have tried a "normal" restore via Itunes as well as with firmware. I have had errors 1600, 1601, 1603, 1604 and 2005 (and a lot more that i can't remember). Currently, when doing a restore it gets stuck when it says "preparing". It has done a complete restore before, but it didn't take.

Have you tried IREB? It's a programme that is supposed to bypass 16++ error codes, but that's not even working for me anymore.

Have you had any luck since your post?

If you still have this problem, maybe we can solve it together? Two heads are better than one etc....

3. nosajsolr

nosajsolr Member

actually, through a series of friends, i had someone working for apple who was able to restore it for me (free of charge =0)). to this day, i still have no idea what happened to my iphone it when i tried to restore it. sometimes it's just a computer compatibility issue, apparently. i will never use my computer to restore it again (though it used to restore on my pc fine). and yes, i have used ireb (i am serious when i said i tried EVERYTHING). if only someone were to get a hold of apple's proprietary software so the layman can fix a bricked iphone like yours and mine. it just needed the right computer and the software to flash the memory and restore it. sorry this isn't much help.

4. nosajsolr

nosajsolr Member

just an update: my phone bricked again, this time when i tried to replace the back cover. i think i disconnected the power cable when the phone was still on. phone is back to the way it was when it bricked (w/o the white screen). now i only see the apple logo when i hold down the power button while the phone is plugged into the wall. can still put into dfu mode, but cannot restore it. "friends" no longer able to help me out since they went out on a limb to do it the first time. still researching....let me know if you find anything.

5. KingKite

KingKite Member

Hi again,

Sucks to hear that your phone died again. I ahve tried a few more things over the last week or so, but nothing that has helped. The only good news I have is that my phone is now only producing the 1604 error.

I am borrowing a mates macbook, as I have read that people with similar problems had no problem doing a restore on amac - if it works I'll let you know.

I should also say thanks for your msgs!

6. nosajsolr

nosajsolr Member

no problem, bro (er, mate). you seem to be the only one who cares enough to share info. I have given my phone back to my friend (not the one who words for apple), and she's going to see about "sweet talking" her other friend to take a look once more. i doubt i'll make any headway with that one, tho. have been researching for hours upon hours, and the closest thing i found is the "boot loop" fix (which i tried, but failed). my friend says apple definately has certain proprietary software that can fix my 1600, 1601 error, but don't think that's going to happen. should've just left well enough alone...look forward to hearing some good news about your iphone. =0)

7. KingKite

KingKite Member

Any luck?

I have tried to restore through two Mac's with no joy. I'm quite frustrated now after 8 weeks of trying, so yesterday I sent it off to be repaired. Besides the repair guy being an idiot, he told me that error 1604 can be both a hardware and/or software problem.

I don't really know what he tried (trade secrets and all), but he couldnt fix it. He said I should sell it for spares or bin it.

BUT I don't wanna give up!

8. nosajsolr

nosajsolr Member

9. KingKite

KingKite Member

I can see why...

Yea, thnaks for the correspondance, that sounds like the stuff that ussually happens to me! I've bought some spare parts, so Im gonna attempt to replace some bits. Good luck getting a new friend and a new phone!

10. RastaDave

RastaDave Regular member

I was jailbreaking a phone for someone and I had a problem similar to this . Error 1604 and could not install any firmware . How i fixed it was by downgrade to firmware 1.1.4 then upgrading back to 3.1.2 .

11. KingKite

KingKite Member

Hi, thanks for the msg. How did you downgrade? Did you do it via itunes - shift+restore? I have tried sveral firmwares, but none have worked. I have especially not found any as far back as 2.0 let alone 1.1.4!

I'm using a pc (vista) and finding ispw firmware files as apposed to mac dmg firmware files has been a nightmare. I have not found any programs that have helped me so far.

All suggestions are welcome thank you

12. RastaDave

RastaDave Regular member

Use this site or this site . Make sure its the right firmware for your model phone . Here is the tutorial I used . Its been a while I downgraded to 2.0.2 then upgrade to 3.0 then 3.1.2 .

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  13. KingKite

KingKite Member

Thanks for that, I think my mistake was that I didnt know I had to rename the zip file to an ipsw file instead of unzipping. If only that had been mentioned on other sites....

If it works i'll let you know and thnak you, but as the moment, the phone is stuck in recovery mode and won;t go into DFU mode, and itunes won't see it. I am definately fed up of re-installing and un-installing all apple software and messing with the services.

I'll give it a good smack in the morning!

14. RastaDave

RastaDave Regular member

Same with mine . I couldn't get itunes to see it . Follow the video link i posted that will fix it . No original FW will work you have to use the 2.0.2 custom FW like in the video . Let me know .

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  15. KingKite

KingKite Member

Thanks for the links. I have successfully managed to create some custom firmware with Winpwn but I still can't get the phone into DFU mode. Both home buttons and power buttons definatley work, but when I turn it off, it doesnt stay off when it is either unplugged or plugged into the pc. The apple logo comes on straight away and then inot recovery mode.

My phone does rarely show up in Itunes, so I might just have to be patient to try out this new custom firmware. If I mange it ill let you know thanks.

16. nosajsolr

nosajsolr Member

i know i said my last post was "my last post", but i just wanted u guys to know i went ahead and preordered the iphone 4. i'm not trying to rub it in, but i'm just happy to finally own an iphone (waited two years for my dad to give me his 16gb 3g--the one that crapped out on me). definately getting the care plan since this is a brand-new device (u know how that goes). keep on keeping on, guys. good luck!

17. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

Have a sought of problem with mine also
    changed the battery on a 16gb 3g
    put it all back together like it was before until I realised that I left a connector unplugged.
    It was the one next to the antenna socket.
    I had put the battery in on top of that and then put the motherboard in and all back together.
    Nothing on the screen.
    Took it back apart and plugged the cable in and tried again.
    Now it will only show apple logo or connect to itunes when plugged into the mains.As soon as I unplug it,the phone goes straight off.
    If I connect to a pc, It flashes on and off only with no apple logo.
    Any ideas???

18. supercopy

supercopy Member

Let me get this clear:
    1. You are not able to get into DFU mode, and you are not able to fully boot into the screen with the app icons, but you are ALWAYS able to boot into "recovery mode", correct?
    2. When you do boot into "recovery mode" (screen telling you to connect to iTunes), and connect the iPHone to computer, iTunes on said computer RARELY detects an "iPhone in recovery mode" that needs to be restored?

If both of these conditions are true, it feels like your iPhone is not having a reliable USB connection to your computer. Check:
    1. Whether your data cable is damaged, frayed, rusted, etc., especially in that wide connector that goes into iPhone. Try a different cable too.
    2. With a loupe look inside and clean the cable socket on your iPhone. If the contacts there are worn out, you may be out of luck.

Remember: if iPhone does not detect that it is connected to a computer, it will NOT enter DFU mode even if you press and release the buttons in the right sequence. (That is why Pwnage Tool and Redsn0w always tell you to connect to computer before pressing the button sequence to enter DFU mode.) If USB connection is flaky, it would explain what you're experiencing.