1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone on Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by HazelB, Jul 16, 2009.

1. HazelB

HazelB Member

So, my 14 yo grandson has bargained with the parents; scholarship for an iPhone 3G. He has a 64bit Ubuntu laptop. Anyone successfully used the iTunes or other apps with Ubuntu?

Is there a better phone choice?

2. varnull

varnull Guest

I guess the total silence says it all.. we use free open source operating systems.. Why would we buy proprietary hardware requiring proprietary software?

3. HazelB

HazelB Member

That's what I thought for Linux support. Is there an alternative phone or device that will work with Ubuntu?

The solution for now is to boot online with XP and go with that. I suspect the iPhone is as much a social issue for 'fitting in'. This is a valid point for teens, especially for integrating special needs into the mix.

Thanks for reading the post...

4. varnull

varnull Guest

There are far better phones on the market.. but as for something that works with n00buntu? .. seeing as the manufactures are tight and taking it from M$ and rarely even release software for macs you will have to rely on some open source coder somewhere writing something... forget the "fashion statement" .. there is linux support for phones usually about 6-12 months after they come to market.. but even my old nokia 7250i isn't supported down usb.. only through a serial cable.

5. HazelB

HazelB Member

Thank you.

6. Pride1

Pride1 Regular member

Its obviously made to work only with iTunes, and sadly there is no iTunes/ipod/iphone support for linux. HOWEVER I'm using ubuntu Lucid Lynx and apparently it has some form of iphone support, I still haven't checked it, but its there. You might want to check that out.

7. Schmick

Schmick Member

Way to resurrect a thread...

Screw crApple and their iTurd range. Get an Android.

8. ps3lvanub

ps3lvanub Regular member

Jailbreak it, go on Cydia store, buy PwnTunes, drag and drop your music and Bob's your uncle.

Whoops, just realized how old this thread is.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  9. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

yeah.. like I posted back a year ago.. open source support takes 6-12 months or sometimes never...

love the way somebody comes along a year later with "n00buntu supports in a minimal way" .. NOW!!! .. it didn't when the topic was started.

anyhow.. my observations are.. the damn things don't work properly even with the proprietary supplied software from crapple.. another epic fail.

greets guys.. throwaway account.. nothing here for me.

Mick... where are them wedding pics ya rotter? .. we have all been waiting patiently ;)