1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod 3rd generation problems

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by feradais, Oct 29, 2005.

1. feradais

feradais Member

So im kinda new to this whole ipod thing, in fact im kinda new to computers. Well my girlfriend recently found a ipod at her work, i looked it up and its a 3rd generation ipod ( i think cause its got four buttons on the top and a scroll wheel). Well i have a pc and ive been looking up on google how to make it work, and after a couple hours ive tried alot of programs (macopener, xplay) and alot others to try and use a mac-formatted ipod on pc. Well it turns out my computer doesnt even recognize the ipod, when i hook it up with a cord ( which i had to buy from apple) i get a code 45 or something and it says its a usb device thats not recognized. Am i doomed not to be able to use it, is it truly a case of something to good to be true? Please someone tell me if i can make this work on my pc.

2. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

You may need to install the ipod software.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

Yow will need [bold]iPod Software 2.3[/bold]

install to computer. then hook your ipod up, open the software and click restore, this will clear up the ipod. Then afterwards, [bold]install[/bold] the ipod software to the ipod and then you should be sorted

get itunes 6 if you don't already, then just import music! :)

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Good Luck

Lethal

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  3. feradais

feradais Member

First off, thanks for being kind enough to try and help me. But it seems that having the ipod software doesnt help either, i still get a message from my pc that says an unrecognized usb device has been inserted and something about a driver error.(so i cant restore my ipod because it doesnt know theres one there?) If You or anyone else knows how to solve this problem i would be incredibly thankful. But like i said, even if you cant, thanks for trying.

4. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

i suppose you could try manually formatting it.

Open it on 'my computer'. right click it and then scroll to format. this should clear you up in order to start from scratch. if you still cannot get it going, post back! :)

Lethal

5. feradais

feradais Member

I think i didnt make the problem clear, Sorry. The whole problem i am having is that my computer doesnt recognize the ipod. which means i cannot access it in anyway from my computer. If my computer would recognize it, i could put music on it or restore it, but once i plug it in,I get an error message that says the device is unrecognized, so i cant access it because its as if it doesnt exist.. And Something about a driver error.

6. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

it says device not recognized because the computer operating system you have doesn't recongnize the ipod do you have windows xp home or professional

also do you have a legal copy of windows and also are you positive the ipod is mac formatted because if it is you have a small problem

1.mac ipods generations 1,2,3 all have a internal switches to turn the ipod on and off from mac to windows but inorder to turn the switch on to windows you must disasemmble the ipod and flip this switch manually

2.make sure you are using windows xp

windows 98 and windows 2000 have trouble reading ipods

3. make sure the usb port on your computer is usb 2.0 it has to be 2.0

7. feradais

feradais Member

Im use xp home edition, its a legal copy, and i think im gonna have to dis-assemble it, THank you for all you help, but do you know of any online tutorials on how to switch its formation from the inside?

8. mamaia

mamaia Member

I'm just curious....your girlfriend like "found" an Ipod at work? Are they so plentiful now that you can actually "find" them laying around unowned?

9. feradais

feradais Member

Lol. She works at a car auction with reposed cars, so she gets to keep whatever she can fit in her pockets. So yeah.

10. BaNaKa

BaNaKa Member

A.K.A i dont uderstand dumb wors is spel do yuo nah just meesin around

11. munx

munx Regular member

once again, Banaka with his ridiciously stupid remarks. Keep it up. Ya, i wouldnt mind finding an IPOD in the car. I have a question, does ITUNES convert music into a certain format or can you store mp3 formatted songs on your ipod? By the way, i don;t own an ipod.