1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod classic Video 30Gb shows black screen

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Da_ROBI, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Da_ROBI

Da_ROBI Member

Hey guys!

I've searched in a thousand threads in german and english forums but i didnt find a solution for my problem. I think just one guy here had have the same problem as me, but i didnt get the answer xD

so my problem:

I got a ipod classic video 30Gb at christmas and since then i tried to make him show videos, but it won't work.
    I've converted videos with at least 8 different converters, but the result is allways the same: the video can be played in itunes and after sync its on the ipod, but when i wanted it to start, there is just a black screen, the battery and the play sign (the triangle. I can change the volume, but this doesnt matter, because there is no tone... (I've also tried the converting version in itunes...)

edit: the ipod shows the length of the video.... on the bar, when the screen is black and i push the middle button.... so the video just cannot be pictured

I would appreciate it so extremely if you could help me.... i've searched and tried to find a solution for at least 20 hours.....

In hope, ROBI

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  2. irongiant

irongiant Regular member

Try videora is a pretty good converter for the ipods, it sounds like your resolution is set to high and the ipod can't reproduce it. try a small video file first with videora. and see if it worked. Good Luck

3. Da_ROBI

Da_ROBI Member

thanks for fast answering:

same result with videora

video has less than 1mb

EDIT: THERE'S NEW HOPE!!!! as i startet the movie, i pushed pause (break) and he showed the image of the first second, then the ipod freezes!

But in result, i'm so happy! this was the first time he showed a image from a video!! gogo further we can make it :D i'm really lucky for this small step, maybe we get the conclusion soon!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  4. Da_ROBI

Da_ROBI Member

can't anybody help me? :(

5. abcdeg

abcdeg Member

Hey did you ever figure out what was wrong? I am having the same problem but the weird part is that my ipod has been playing the same movies for about two years now. It just all of a sudden started freezing up every time i tries to play one.

6. serpiroth

serpiroth Regular member

update/restore it.....install latest itunes.... and try pqdvd..

if this doesnt work there is something componently wrong which sparks the red x symbol to show...but if the video is only thing wrong the red x wont show...

7. bsmcneill

bsmcneill Member

Having the same issue - even with iTunes video.

8. darcdin

darcdin Member

was setting up a friends ipod classic 30 gig so he could use it without having to use itunes and found a few problems with the ipod. personally I would never waste my money on it. However for those with problems with seeing a black screen.

videos - video settings -
    TV Out = on

then you will see the image if it's jerking your video is not at right resolution if it's just one still picture then your video won't play.

also try getting rid of itunes as the way it sets up your ipod is nonsense. use winamp or any decent stand alone player for that and your ipod will run smoother and be better setup for your music categories.

9. bsmcneill

bsmcneill Member

Ok I'd like to add more details.

I've rolled my iPod back to its original settings - no help.
    TV Out is off however! When I set it to TV Out ON, and press play, you see the file moving/working like a mp3 (see what looks like the album cover, the time bar shows it progressing, etc). No actual video though.

Photos work just fine, including the slideshow - so it doesn't seem to be a graphics card issue.

It started in the fall - around September sometime. I've seen folks with the same issue from all sorts of times.

The videos affected are from iTunes and other videos that I've made/found elsewhere (i.e., all of them - not just certain types of conversions).

Any new updates? Thoughts?

ETA: I have a MacBook (purchased last year) and therefore iPodWizard doesnt' work, etc. Other options may - let me know.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  10. redalchem

redalchem Member

hey, idk if you have fixed it yet, but i might be able to help...

mine was doing the same thing a few minutes ago, and all i had to do was reset the ipod. you just hold menu and the center button down until you see the apple logo and then wait for it to reset. this also fixed a problem with missing album art a while back for me too.

hope this helps.

11. bsmcneill

bsmcneill Member

Unfortunately, no that doesn't help - every time I try, it locks on the black screen (so I have to reset it anyway) and then still no video. Thanks though.

12. Da_ROBI

Da_ROBI Member

Hey guys,

my problem was fixed bei apple then. I went to the Mac Store, told them the problem, they told me it was an hardware problem and two days later i got a new one!

So dont care if you are in trouble and dont be shy, just go to the mac store and everything will be fine.

Thank everybody in here for trying to help me :)

Robi