1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod corrupted? won't restore

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by slimlisa, Jul 26, 2007.

1. slimlisa

slimlisa Member

My 20GB ipod was working fine then I connected it and the do not disconnect was blinking forever and I had to disconnect it. It has not worked since. Ipod doesn't show up in itunes and i get a message that it detects a corrupted ipod so I restored it. same thing happened. It has been restored at least 4 times and still says it's corrupted. It was also reformatted. Nothing. Since then I've updated to the new Itunes version. In My Computer it has just changed from saying "IPOD" to "removable disk" and when I right click on it to check properties it freezes so I can't get in. The menus all work on the IPOD, it has no music on it. I can play games, just can't get it recognized or uncorrupted. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Try putting it in disk mode by holding the Menu + Center buttons until the Apple logo appears, then when it appears switch to holding Center + Play/Pause buttons until it says "Ok to Disconnect". Then try formatting or restoring it and see if it fixes it at all. To get it out of disk mode just reset your iPod by holding Menu + Center buttons until the Apple logo appears.

3. slimlisa

slimlisa Member

Jazo,

Thanks so much for trying to help. I restored in disk mode as you suggested to no avail. My Computer now lists ipod as "apple ipod" instead of "removable disk" but that is the only change I've seen. I still can't right click on "apple ipod" and have it show me anything. Since I upgraded Itunes I noticed it said the size of all music was 184GB which was absurd. I found several tracks showing as 1.64GB (which they shouldn't have been)so I deleted them. I'm starting to wonder if there is a virus of sorts that isn't getting detected. The ipod still does alot of clicking and makes static-like noises when it turns on. I don't know what to make of it. It is about 3 years old and had no problems till now, besides freezing now and again. I'd appreciate any further suggestions.

4. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

It may be a problem with the computer itself. Get a decent antivirus and scan the computer. Uninstall strange programs that you haven't heard of or you don't use. If you're getting audio files 1+GB, then there is a problem there. Maybe try reinstalling iTunes after you do the above just to get a fresh start.

5. calfrhelp

calfrhelp Member

It is not his computer. I have the same problem. Mine is a 30Gb 5G iPod though. Did you get this problem resolved?

6. david94

david94 Regular member

if it wont restore go to my computer select the ipod and right click and then format it will earase everything and nothing gets in the way

7. david94

david94 Regular member

i would check the songs and videos or anything that is on your ipod check for viruses

8. slimlisa

slimlisa Member

The problem has not been resolved yet. I am out of town and have not been able to work on it for a few days. I have tried to go to my computer and right click on the ipod, but it just gives me the hour glass and won't bring up a list for me to click on the properties. I have reformatted and restored many time, in disk mode and regular mode and it still isn't working. There are no songs at all on the ipod. IT is wiped clean. I'll try something when I get back, but I'm not sure what else to try. I'm still open to all suggestions!

9. hipyyy

hipyyy Member

I too have the same problem. I just change my computer and when I connected my Ipod to the new computer....it all started. The only new action I did was to install a newly downloaded iTunes. Then when I hooked up my Ipod....it took so long to connect not like before when it only took seconds for my computer to detected my Ipod. Bec of this, my Ipod was corrupted. I already restored my ipod....all are new version already, Ipod and Itunes, but still have the same problem of long detection of the Ipod. BTW, my computer is faster now since it is brand new. Please help. I am hesitant to transfer my files at the moment because it might be corrupted in the end again.

10. albino92

albino92 Regular member

reformat your ipod drive using the hp usb reformat tool (google it) format the drive as FAT 32 and then you should be able to restore it with no problem

11. slimlisa

slimlisa Member

albino92-

I went to the HP web site and searched for the USB reformat tool and it brought up 154 products. Could you be more specific? I did try to google it and couldn't find anywhere to download it as "hp usb reformat tool." There are a number of products that sound like they could be what you are talking about, but I don't want to download the wrong thing. Thanks

12. albino92

albino92 Regular member

13. hipyyy

hipyyy Member

I think my problem is being caused by the external HD i have also on my USB. Is this a possible conflict? How do I resolve this problem? I am assuming bec when I plug my iPod to my laptop, i didn't experience the problem.

14. slimlisa

slimlisa Member

albino92-
    I downloaded and installed the tool and am attempting to reformat the ipod to FAT32 as you suggested. It has been running for at least 10 minutes with no progress in the status bar at all. It says "formatting the device" but nothing is happening. Itunes is closed, the ipod is plugged in in regular mode and is blinking "do not disconnect," which it does all the time if it is hooked up to the computer. Am I doing something wrong? I tried to stop the process once and start it over, but it is still doing the same thing. This is starting to really perplex me. Nothing seems to be functioning. I also reupdated Itunes again with no luck.

I tried again in disk mode. The status says, "checking the device" then "partitioning the device," then says, "formatting the device" but it doesn't go anywhere... Windows opens a box saying I need to reformat my ipod. I tried doing that yet again but still nothing. So when the same message popped up while trying to USB format tool I just closed the box.

What am I doing wrong here?

15. albino92

albino92 Regular member

It seems your hard drive may be corrupted because to reformat the ipod hdd it usually takes around a few minutes. If you're still under warranty check out the apple service website and they'll see if they can do anything about your hdd if not you'll have to get it replaced

16. slimlisa

slimlisa Member

albino92-

yep, it's been a month with no luck. I did succeed however, in doing the quick format with the utility tool, and I can now right click on Apple ipod in my computer and get the menu. I was able to scan for errors, in phase 1, but when it went to phase 2 it just froze. It just seems to not be able to restore so I think it is time for a new one. Bummer. Thanks for your help! I'm still open to more suggestions from anyone though!

17. albino92

albino92 Regular member

your welcome and since you said that it froze during phase 2 it must just be a broken hdd. I've had my own ipod problems to be unresolved by apple but if you need to get i new one i'd wait it out for the rumored 16gig flash ipod. Therefore you won't have any issues with the hdd.

18. slimlisa

slimlisa Member

albino,
    sounds good...I'll wait...sigh. Again, I appreciate your time in trying to help.

19. albino92

albino92 Regular member

yeah your welcome

20. Applesux

Applesux Member

Ok im a lil late in this conversation but my prob is the same i went to update my ipod and it wouldnt load any new songs and i had the very very old version of itunes so i downloaded the new version and tried to update my ipod again this time it told me my ipod is corrupt and i need to restor or reconnect so i reconnected with every port on my comp then i tried to restore it and it will not restore it tells me there is a problem downloading the ipod software so i called apple and they never answered the phone so i started looking it up on the internet now my ipod can hold 10k songs not sure what size it is but its bulky and white so yeah its an old modle i did everything that was said to do and non of it worked i thought it did but no it didnt so if u ever figured a way to fix or if my problem is a lil different plz plz plz o plz help me out ty in advance