1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod dock connector to stereo rca

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Stuckonit, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Stuckonit

Stuckonit Regular member

i am sik and tired of listening to the crapy sound of my ipod through the headphone jack on my stereo and i would like to make a dock connector to rca connector, i know were to get the stereo from but dont know if i need to hook up the resistor and if so, were?

so far, pin 2= audio/video ground, pin 3= line out right, pin 4= line out left, pin 22? one source said that this pin is to be connected to the ground through a 1 Mega ohm to enable a "dock connection" (this would enable sound to be outputed from ipod through dock connector)

any help would be greatly apreciated
    thanks

2. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

While I can't help you with what you're looking to do, your iPod will most likely not sound any better regardless of what output you use. Especially if your music is encoded in 128kbps, it's never even going to come close to an actual CD.

3. Stuckonit

Stuckonit Regular member

sorry darkjello but your wrong, the sound quality is much better from the dock connector than headphone jack, i used to walk around with a dock in my pocket for a while listening from that output cuz it was that much better

4. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

I'll have to investigate that for myself...

5. Stuckonit

Stuckonit Regular member

a simple test you could do is simply dock an ipod into a dock and listen throught the ipods headphone jack then remove it and listen through the dock jack

anyway now that sound quality is pending can we get back to figuring out were to put a resistor?

please and thanks!

6. Stuckonit

Stuckonit Regular member

please! i dont wanna *swears* up my ipod
    i found da cable on da web dat i need and its like 80 bux
    i can make it high quality for 30 bux or less and all i need 2 no is wat damd resistor to put inbetween pin 1 and 21

7. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Alright I got around to checking that sound quality thing out, and you were right. Deepest apologies. It's because through the dock the sound isn't routed through the iPod's onboard amp, preserving sound quality because that amp isn't very good.

But as for your problem, I'm unsure as to what you need to do. I unfortunately think that if anyone on this site knows the answer, they won't be coming in this forum. More software oriented, and I'll admit pretty low level stuff at that.

8. Stuckonit

Stuckonit Regular member

no problem, as for my problem i figured it out myself (thats right...i risked used my nano like a guine pig....it still works) i found out that i needed a 1k ohm resistor b tween pin 21 and 1 to put it into "dock mode" (thus being able to get audio out from the ipods dock connector) my stero is now blasting gooder quality sound at 800 watts !!!! im so happy

9. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Well done, I'm to clumsy to work on something that small.

10. JoeFL

JoeFL Member

First of all, it's true that a dock connector will improve the output of your iPod. It's also true that this will make a far smaller difference than using higher bit rates and sampling rates (ideally AIFF or Lossless). The combination of lossless files played through a dock connector cable on a high end audio system is quite impressive. I have $3,000 worth of preamp, amp, and speakers, and the iPod is by far the least expensive source I own - and it sounds excellent (Of course I use lossless files and thereby can hold 20% of the songs compared to folks using lossy 128kbs mp3s).

Anyway... Here is the inexpensive solution. A dock connector to RCA cable for $30 - or $10 if you're a student or teacher:

http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Stereo-L...r_1/102-9823503-8560908?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

The education price can be found here and includes free shipping:

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=729904

If you want video as well, then you need the dock connector to three RCA jack cable for $23 + $9 S&H: bad url - see below

Now, if enough of us cared about audio quality over quantity, then maybe Apple would see the value in making music downloads available in lossless and SA-CD quality and raw formats. In the meantime, if you happen to like Classical music, modern British Jazz or Scottish folk music, you can download CD and SA-CD quality music from Linn Records at http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-downloads.aspx

Enjoy - but use the best files you can - it is truly the most important piece of the puzzle.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  11. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

I have a fairly extensive stereo in both my room and car, but I still think CD's or records is the only way to really listen to music over a real stereo. For my iPod I don't go above 320kbps just because after that the [for me] it really isn't worth the extra space to be able to listen to an almost flawless recording over headphones in a noisy environment.

But to each his own...

12. JoeFL

JoeFL Member

13. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Could you edit out the broken ones? They make the page really wide.

14. JoeFL

JoeFL Member

How do I do that?

Never mind - I found the edit button...

15. JoeFL

JoeFL Member

VInyl is the best - SACD is very close. But lossless files on an ipod with the above cables sound amazingly and surprisingly close to CD. You're right that on headphones it makes little difference - if I were mostly listening on headphones I'd use 320 kbs as well - but since I often connect it up to the home rig - and since stuckonit is doing the same - I recommend lossless.

16. Stuckonit

Stuckonit Regular member

most of my files on my ipod are 320kb/s
    although i have some as low as 128 kb/s u cant realy notice the difference on a cheap stereo but if ur using high qualit dock and cables on a high quality stereo with high quality speakers u get prety awsom sound :D