1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod filesystem changing on its own/ refuses to be written to in Kubuntu

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Starrift, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Starrift

Starrift Regular member

I have a 120gb black Classic. I was getting write/sync errors from iTunes on my Mac so I decided to try it in Kubuntu, as Linux has read/write support for the HFS+ file system. Songbird notified me that the iPod's file system was journaled and there for could not write to it. It also informed me that I would have to reformat it on a Mac as a non journaled partition for it to be writable. I brought the iPod back to my Mac to format it, brought it over to Kubuntu and plugged it in. With a combination of gtkpod, Songbird, and a file explorer, I wrote various songs and images to it. I then went to transfer my music collection (of about 3000 songs) to it with Songbird. Songbird prepared to load the songs and then started copying them onto the iPod. About 100-200 songs in, the file system switched from HFS+ to journaled HFS+, causing Songbird to stop writing to it. I unplugged the iPod and turned it on to find there was not music on it at all. I tried to write to it again in the file explorer to no avail.

Does anyone have any theories as to what happened here?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. Mez

Mez Active member

By using a different computer to manipulate the music, itunes opted to go into kill mode. Most of the updates to itunes over the last 4-5 years have been beafing up the security routines. With early versions of itunes you could hack your way out, not any more. It is toast! Apple will not help you because they take a very hard line against anyone that activates the security routine. They will assume you are lying no matter what you tell them. That was a costly experiment!

I haven't used itunes in 4 yrs due to all the security routines.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  3. marcusj0015

marcusj0015 Regular member

what do you mean Kill Mode?

i am gettin an iPod touch 4g 64GB soon, i had Zune's before this.

that's kinda worrying

how sensative is this kill mode, and what activates it?

4. Mez

Mez Active member

Now, I think the 'kill mode' wasn't intentional. The Zune also had one of those in a build. Apparently, there is a way around it. I don't know what sets it off; most persons who complain are clueless as to how they got there or do not want to share. All Apple devices are very tight on security. There have been hundreds of builds since I got my ipod. Very few have anything to do with the interface. There is almost no difference in capabilities in 5 yrs. THAT should give everyone pause for thought! They went to a proprietary connection to keep persons from 'stealing' their own music. Apple does not think just because you bought the music it is really yours. You should be used to a player that has a proprietary connection since the Zune has one. I would be fearful to buy one. There is a recent post where someone is trying to retrieve a password. That is easy to do with an ipod because you can just delete the password file. You can't do that with a touch. That has its ups and downs.

5. marcusj0015

couldn't you just format the iPod if you had to to unlock it?

if my iPod gets locked, i will be pissed, and apple is paying for it.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

Right! You have them right by the balls. You can sue them for selling you a device that can be password protected. They should know you would forget your password, how stupid of them.

How would you reformat it? You mean format it and wipe it clean and turn it into a flash drive? Pretty expensive flash drive. Pretty stupid! It would be much smarted to just delete the password file so you could use your device instead of wrecking it. To do either you would need access to the drive which was the problem with the touch, you don't.

7. marcusj0015

no, like reinstall iOS

and i meant i would make them pay for my iPod, if they lock me out for 8 years like i have been reading.

8. Mez

Mez Active member

Apple would rightly contend that they are not liable the screw ups you make. The device worked as designed. Just like a car manufacturer need not pay for a new car because you got into an accident unless the accident was caused by a malfunction.

Apple has never given back any damages caused by a security routine. They contend the owner tried to break the law and the security routine prevented that. You would have to prove otherwise and that is hard to do when your device is trashed. I suspect in most cases Apple is correct is that the customer was trying to copy something that they should not have. In most cases posted here either the customer had copied tunes off their device on a different computer or loaded tunes from a different computer. Both were likely illegal actions.

To reinstall the IOS you have to have the password unlocked. It is totally secure. You can not steal a password protected device like that and ever get it to work properly. It does what it is designed to do. Still, I suspect more people get locked out playing with the password protection who own the device than those that steal the device.

I advise buyer beware and buyer be careful.

9. marcusj0015

i'm not looking to steal one, i just think it's complete bullshit

10. Mez

Mez Active member

Then maybe Apple is not for you. Maybe an Android is more for you. Apple and M$ are the only companies that want to try to get away with that sh1t. Apple takes such a hard stance because most of their sales are in tunes and apps not hardware. Plus most of their users are not so sharp.

11. marcusj0015

no, i ABSOLUTELY HATE google and android.

12. Mez

Mez Active member

Then I guess you will figure out what you will not hate. I suspect you might hate Apple as well.

13. marcusj0015

i doubt it, i will hack the edited by ddp outta my iPod.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  14. Mez

Mez Active member

Well, they are much easier to hack giving you much more freedom.

15. marcusj0015

yeah, but there apps are shit compared to iOS, and android is ugly, and not much of a challange.

plus it's based on linux.

plus, i'm using an iPhone as a cheap mac, to see if i like the platform, and YES iOS IS a slimmed down, ARM version of OSX

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011