1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod Linux

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by DarkJello, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 21Q

21Q Regular member

I seem to be the only one supporting this thread .... Well, no it can't. But free converters are provided to play video's. But I was never able to get the audio to sync. The trick was to open a .txt file before you play the video, but it only worked for one play. It may have been fixed by now, but I'm not sure.

2. 21Q

21Q Regular member

Update!!! Ipod Linux Is Now FULLY supported on the 1st gen nano as Podizilla 2 is finally completed!

3. Flandrel

Flandrel Regular member

Ok. think I hit some snags on where to find the files needed to install podzilla on my 5.5 gen ipod (80gb with search option). can anyone help me on the download links?

also what is the best bet on what to install on my pod? I want to be able to run different formats of videos and music.

hopefully I can get this done tonight and post results.

thanks for all the help.

Flandrel

4. 21Q

21Q Regular member

To my knowladge (which is about 1 year old info, but this project is slow in the making) podzilla has it's own file format and there is a converter for formats. I will see if this has been updated.

5. Flandrel

Flandrel Regular member

ok thanks. or if I could get the ipod linux that would great. just trying to find the best one for what I want to do. this is my first time with the ipod.

I already have 12gb of music and videos on here via itunes. redoing it isn't a problem.

flandrel

6. Flandrel

Flandrel Regular member

ok thanks. or if I could get the ipod linux that would great. just trying to find the best one for what I want to do. this is my first time with the ipod.

I already have 12gb of music and videos on here via itunes. redoing it isn't a problem.

if it helps my firmware is v1.1.1 PC that itunes updated it to. model # MB147LL.

flandrel

7. Flandrel

Flandrel Regular member

Ok this is getting really annoying. I have tried following everything in this post with no luck on my 80gb iPod (5.5G - has search feature so according to iPodlinux site it is a 5.5G). The problem is the ipodlinux-installer-2.3w says it cannot find iPod. It is a WinPod. No program has it running (unless I am doing it wrong, but no iTunes on or anything).

Can someone please please help me figure this out before I slam it against the wall? lol.

Its either me screwing the directions up or something or they are not clear enough.

Thanks,

Flandrel

8. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

flandrel, i am not sure about your problem. Make sure your on XP and not Vista. Also just try using another computer. Obviously I assume that your ipod is recognized so its not your usb ports that are defaulty...other than that it could be the installer, but also make sure you check that your ipod is supported by that program.

As for me I am still stuck on trying to downgrade my firmware. I am currently at 1.3 at it sucks. I have tried most methods but they just won't allow me to downgrade any further (was previously at 1.4). If anybody has successfully downgraded please tell me how. Also I have a 4gb 1st gen ipod mini.

9. 21Q

21Q Regular member

Really? All you need to do is uninstall any and all things related to itunes and uninstall any previous firmware updates from your computer. Then you just use what ever firmware you want.

10. Flandrel

Flandrel Regular member

what a pain in the butt. not gonna mess with the itunes thing. going to be putting a new computer together in next couple of days. will try it on there when I get it together and before installing any itunes or anything.

and I am using windows xp sp2. don't even want to tackle the headaches of dealing with vista.

thanks for the help and will post results to let you know how it goes.

Flandrel

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  11. Flandrel

Flandrel Regular member

Was able to finally get some time and look at my iPod. Don't think I can even use Linux from what I have been finding out. This is the info I found out:

From the GadgetLocker website:

iPod Classic(Sixth Generation)

The iPod classic is a hard drive-based iPod (80 GB or 160 GB) featuring a large, widescreen color display, a Click Wheel, and the capability of displaying photos and videos. Like other models, it uses USB for syncing. The iPod classic is available in silver and black, and has an anodized aluminum and polished stainless steel enclosure. You can distinguish the iPod classic from the iPod (5th generation) by the last three digits of the serial number. The iPod classic serial number's last three digits will be one of the following: Y5N, YMU, YMV, and YMX.My serial number on my iPod ends with the YMV. Guess I am just screwed and can't do nothing with it due to the encrypted firmware on the device.

Hopefully someone can figure this out sometime if possible, but highly doubt it.

Flandrel

12. 21Q

21Q Regular member

Any iPod that is 2nd gen Nano and up is NOT supported. This is due to encryption on the ipods firmware.

13. gttdi

gttdi Regular member

Really? All you need to do is uninstall any and all things related to itunes and uninstall any previous firmware updates from your computer. Then you just use what ever firmware you want.

14. dodge818

dodge818 Member

Im so new at this..and i just bought a 160G about 2 days ago...im wondering what Linux can do? what can i use it for??

15. 21Q

21Q Regular member

Well, simply put, you can't. There is encription on the new ipods that make it impossible to put ipl on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.