1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod Modding Tutorial For Dummies! (with pics!)

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by RonIII, Jan 7, 2007.

1. RonIII

RonIII Member

Hello all, my name is Ron. Today we will be modding (changing the graphics) around on your iPod. Please read all of the steps carefully, as failing to do so can result in a corrupt iPod, needing a restore.

DISCLAIMER
    I have tested this method on my iPod, and it works everytime. I take no responsibility for any damage done to your iPod. Follow this tutorial at your own risk!!!

You may want to backup your music files to your computer, just incase something goes wrong!!!!!

Things Needed
    You will only need 2 things!
    1. A color iPod. (iPod Nano, iPod 4th generation Photo, or iPod Video)
    2. iPodWizard. Latest known version is currently v1.2. Download this at this link... http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=153441

Start The Process

LET ALL THE PICS LOAD!

Step One: Plug in your iPod into a USB port on your computer.

Step Two: Open up iPodWizard
    [​IMG]

Step Three: Make sure iPodWizard has found your iPod. iPodWizard has found my iPod, seen here.
    [​IMG]

Step Four: On the Edit Mode drop down box, highlight iPod and click on it.
    [​IMG]

Step Five: Click Load iPod Firmware, and wait for the process to complete.

Step Six: If iPodWizard hasn't already, click on the firmware editor tab then click on Pictures.

[​IMG]

Step Seven: Start editing the graphics!!!! To do this, click on the index drop down box and find a picture you want to edit. Click save bitmap to your desktop. Open the bitmap in a photo editor, such as Photoshop, MS Paint 8, etc. Edit the photo to how you want it. DO NOT CHANGE THE IMAGE DEMENSIONS!!!!!!
    Whenever you are done with a photo, make sure you use the Load bitmap button to load the image to the firmware.

Step Eight: Once you are done with your editing, click on Write
    [​IMG]

Step Nine: Click on yes, then ok.

Step Ten: Once the process is completed, close iPodWizard and remove your iPod from the USB connector. This will cause the iPod to reboot itself and install the new firmware. And, the best thing about it, NONE OF YOUR SONGS WILL BE DELETED!!!!!!!!!!

Step Eleven: Make sure your iPod works, it should if you followed all the directions

If you have any questions about this tutorial, please send me a message on AIM: bCuCu4CocoPuffsd

Thanks for reading,
    Ron

2. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

umm... why did you just recreate this here??

next time, look before posting.

3. RonIII

RonIII Member

its not recreated, its a guide on how to mod your fimeware without the need for a downloaded firmware

4. RonIII

RonIII Member

u hear me?

5. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

It's pretty much a lesser version of the guide that is already posted.

6. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

yeah, considering you can't use updaters any more (given you are using 1.2 / iTunes 7)

so... im thinking people might have the logic to select iPod instead of updater... y'know, coz they can't use one.