1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod Modding Tutorials

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Lethal_B, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KhmerKing

KhmerKing Member

Thanks Lethal-
    Also, Is there a way to change the white background of the iPod???
    I want to put a picture in the background
    Thanks

2. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Hello again.

No there isn't, as far as I am aware. However, I am not 100% sure on that one so I will double-check.

Latest tutorial will be up sometime today, so watch this space :)

3. KhmerKing

KhmerKing Member

Ok Thanks
    I can't wait for your tutorial, there Awesome!!!
    BTW are you going to do a tutorial on how to put games on your iPod?? I've been doing some research and it was mostly on ipodwizard.net, and they had alot of games on theirs. For example they got gb/c games like Pokemon, Zelda, Megaman,Mario ,etc.
    They said you need a program like Rockbox or linux etc and stuff like that. Its kinda complicated and intiminating. I rather wait for you to get on this topic because you are great at explaining things and creating such great tutorial. :)
    Thanks ALOT

4. KhmerKing

KhmerKing Member

5. Lethal_B

No worries. I like to do things step by step, and wait till people have understood before moving on, because as you say, long tutorials are intimidating :)

Stay tuned!

6. Lethal_B

OK, here's part three of the tutorial, (as promised) entitled

[bold]STRINGS, CHAPTER ONE[/bold]

** Read This!**

Ok guys, up until now, the modding has been simple & easy. This is where things get slightly more advanced.

In this tutorial, I will introduce you to changing strings in your iPod's firmware, which will enable you to change certain words in your iPod's interface for near full customization. We will start by only altering one string -- the string of the "iPod" in the titlebar.. This is only [bold]chapter one[/bold], whereby you will learn this simple hack. Then in [bold]chapter two[/bold], you will actually be [bold]understanding[/bold] how and why iPod strings work, which will enable you guys to change many more strings besides the one located on the titlebar..

[bold]DISCLAIMER[/bold]

The methods I give in this tutorial are tried & tested by myself, and are safe to use providing they are followed correctly. The methods and techniques are not sanctioned by Apple, and could void your warranty. Follow these steps at your own risk! [bold]I must stress, if you are ignorant or careless with strings & hex codes, your iPod could quite easily become a very expensive doorstop. Follow carefully, and don't try and run before you can walk ;-)[/bold]

[bold]THINGS YOU WILL NEED[/bold]

<1> A Fifth Generation iPod (iPod Nano, iPod Video), or a 4th Gen iPod (Colour or Monochrome, doesn't Matter)
    <2> iPodWizard. The latest version is v1.2, and it’s the version I use for these tutorials, so you are better off using it. The download can be found through this link - http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=153441
    <3> iPod Firmware/Updater. I recommend you guys use version 1.0 - it's the one I use as it is the most stable. The download of iPod Updater 2005-11-17 v1.0 can be found through this megaupload link - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y44N4BER
    <4> iHack - http://www.ipodwizard.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3392&d=1127255814

[bold]OK, FOR PART THREE[/bold]

<1> Extract and load your iPodWizard Software.

<2> Click [bold]"Open Updater"[/bold]
    [​IMG]

<3> Load the iPod Updater that your just downloaded. I recommend v1.0 (2005-11-17), but it should work with any other Updater.

<4> Under the "Firmware" menu, select your model of iPod.
    [​IMG]
    Once you have done that, click "Load".

<5>
    Click on the "Firmware Editor" tab, followed by the "Strings" tab.
    [​IMG]

Next, you will have to select the correct [bold]language block[/bold], as the iPod has many different languages embedded into it's firmware. Shuffle through the index of numbers in "Lang Block" until you find the number of the one which is English (Or, if you speak a different language, select that one).

[​IMG]

It may not be under number "24", it will vary depending on firmware version and iPod model.. (Mine is the Fifth Generation running v1.0 firmware)

[bold]CHANGING THE "iPod" IN TITLE BAR[/bold]

This is the part where you actually perform the hack.

Strings with [bold]iPod[/bold] written on them are in many places all over the iPod's firmware. One version of this string is used by the computer to recognise the iPod, and another is used to change the titlebar "iPod" (this is the one you want to change).

[bold]FINDING THE CORRECT STRING[/bold]

[​IMG]

<1> To locate it, type “iPod” in the top box…
    <2> Click the “Find” button once,
    <3> Continually click on “Find Next” until you locate the one which is above “Cancel” (<4>)

-Once you have found it, click on it.

[​IMG]

<1> In this box, write the word you would like to appear on your title bar in, for example, I have typed in [bold]lethal![/bold] (you can type in anything you like). As we are only at a "basics" stage however, keep the length of this to no [bold]more than seven characters[/bold]. (Details will be explained in chapter two)
    <2> When you are done, click “Change String”
    <3> You will now notice that in the “String Data” list, “iPod” has been replaced with your custom word. You should also have a message pop-up stating that you’ve been successful (<4>).

You have successfully performed the “Title bar” hack.. Congrats.

[bold]WRITING YOUR THEME TO YOUR FIRMWARE[/bold]

Once you have finished tweaking, you are almost finished. Click "Write" which is located at the very top in the center.
    [​IMG]

Once the confirmation that the changes you implemented were sucessfully written onto the updater, You can exit iPodWizard.

[bold]TRANSFERRING TO IPOD[/bold]

All you have left to do, is simply connect your iPod to your PC and use the "Restore" feature on the Updater to rewrite the firmware with the modified version.

However, if you don’t want to "Restore" your iPod (Which deletes all content), You will have to patch the Updater with [bold]iHack[/bold]

iHack will set the iPod’s firmware version a small amount below its current level before you run the iPod Software Updater, re-enabling the "Update" button. Open iHack (you will find it at C:/Program Files/iHack/ by default), and click the "Patch..." button while your iPod is connected to your PC and the [bold]disk mode[/bold] feature is enabled. Select your iPod’s drive letter, and iHack will do the rest. Now click the "Update" button, and you will have successfully changed the graphics on your iPod.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  7. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Very well done, the anticipation for this part of the guide was killing me :)

8. Lethal_B

Haha, this is just the basics, my friend. But give it a go and see how you get on.. if you get stuck, fire away :)

9. KhmerKing

KhmerKing Member

Nice tutorial Lethal !!!
    I think I'm going to wait until your next tutorial comes out because I can't think of any words that are 7 letters or shorter that I want to put. I was thinking of "Khmer Pride". When I typed it in the box to change the word, it says that it was successful and could fit. But I didn't click the WRITE button to confirm it. I'm just going to wait until your next tutorial to find out why. I really don't want to mess up my iPod. I have enough doorstoppers already. :)
    Thanks
    ps - whens your next tutorial coming???

10. Lethal_B

KhmerKing,

I would try this one first if I were you, just so you have some familiarity and you know what's what. Just try it by typing in "Khmer_K" or something, as the next tutorial is where it gets a tad advanced, and you may get stuck.

Within the next 7 days :)

11. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Worked like a charm lethal. DarkJello is, sadly, a few to many characters. Anyway to make the time show up all the time?

12. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Lethal--

Is there a simple way to change the text on the iPod to a modded firmware already on my iPod? It is the first one that you posted in this thread (the one with the block letters). I would like to change the top part to "Jazo123", and I'm not sure if I can do this without customizing the whole theme. Thanks in advance, and great addition to the thread with the new guide!

13. vicoyski

vicoyski Member

Hey, this tutorial is a big help! Tried the stuff and have customized my iPod's screen...

Kudos to [bold]Lethal_B[/bold]!

14. Lethal_B

Glad it worked for you, DarkJello, and as for the time, I don't thinks so, but I will look into it for you anyway ;-)

You can change the top text to whatever you like using the methos above. It doesn't affect the rest of the theme..

Thanks, glad you like it, and welcome to the iPod forums :)

15. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2006
  16. Lethal_B

Of course I don't mind, but, do you not know how to do it yourself? If you don't, please post your issue, and I will be glad to help.

Will post modded updater soon..

17. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Thank you so much, mate!

IDN, When I try to load my firmware and then Load All, and then update my iPod, Nothing happens. I'm not sure why, I follow all the steps. If there is something that you think that I am doing wrong, please tell me.

Thanks Again!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2006
  18. Lethal_B

Simply extract the bitmap images into a folder, then, when you get to the 'Load all' stage, simply load that particualr folder where your graphics are situated. This will add the graphics to the updater, then all you have to do is downgrade, write them onto the Updater, then update.. (refer to guide for more detailed guidance).

Additionally, do you know how to change font/ (beginer) strings?

19. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

When I'm trying to choose the correct firmware version in iPodWizard it says "IDR_FIRMWARE" and numbers. The smallest number is 1.1.5. It never says 1.1.1 or 1.1 or anything that could be the correct firmware. Which one should I chose?

[edit]

I'm trying to do a screen shot to show you, but I can't find where the picture is after I press "Print Screen" on my keyboard. What do I do next?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2006
  20. Lethal_B

Press PrtSc (Printscreen), and then open an image editing program such as photoshop or MS paint & click 'paste'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.