1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod nano doesn't update

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by luvmuzik, May 20, 2006.

1. luvmuzik

luvmuzik Member

Hi, I dont know whether my problem is with Itunes or my Ipod nano, but it doesn't open itunes automatically when inserted into the usb port. My nano also doesnt appear in itunes when i open it manually, so I cant even update songs. Ive done everything in the apple support page, i mean EVERYTHING, messing up my laptop in the process. Can anyone help? What do I do?

2. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Chances are the problem isn't with iTunes. Before doing any of the following try using a different USB port, if your using a USB port on the front of your computer there is a decent chance it is faulty, so try using one on the back of your computer. If that doesn't work try the following:

Try resetting your nano by holding down [bold]menu and play[/bold] then connect it to your computer and see if it is recognized then.

If it isn't then you should try forcing your iPod into disk mode by holding down [bold]menu and play[/bold] and then while the Apple logo is on the screen, holding down [bold]play and center[/bold] until it says it is in disk mode. This should allow you to reinstall the firmware with the Apple iPod Updater, and will hopefully resolve your problem.

3. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

When you plug your iPod into your USB port, try opening "my computer" and see if your iPod is connected.

If it is connected, or your computer does recognize it, then do as DarkJello syas, put your iPod into disk mode and then restore it by using the ipod updater tool.

Once that's done, then you can fix your iTunes problem:

Quote:

"but it doesn't open itunes automatically when inserted into the usb port"

This is a real easy fix...

Plug in your iPod> Open iTunes> go to edit and then prefferences> select the iPod tab> scroll down to the bottem under the music tab where you will find a box and writing next to it that says : Open iTunes when the iPod is attached

That should fix your problem with your iTunes and hopfully your iPod too.

4. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Well he probably has that setting already enabled, but iTunes won't open automatically if the iPod isn't recognized as even being there. You can tell this is the case because he says even when he opens iTunes the iPod isn't there.

5. luvmuzik

luvmuzik Member

Hi, thanks for your replies. DarkJello...I did as you instructed but it didn't work. Would you or does anyone know if the problem may be due to the fact that I also have LIMWIRE on my comp???...I was told by someone else that this is why and I would need to restore my entire hard drive....

6. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

No. Limewire won't affect this issue in any way, shape or form ;-)

Whereabouts did you get stuck? Could you not get your iPod into disk mode, or did your PC still not detect your iPod upon slipping it into disk mode ~?

7. luvmuzik

luvmuzik Member

Thnx I got really worried when I was told that it was because of LIMEWIRE and that nothing could be done to fix it. And Yes I couldnt put in the ipod to disk mode...

8. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Besides not updating your iPod is working without any problems? I can't think of any other problems, that would have to do with your iPod, except for maybe the port on the bottom of the iPod chip thing [I don't konw what it is technically called, the part that you plug it in to charge with] is chipped or broken in some way.

9. starchy

starchy Regular member

ok it all matters on if you ipod is regonzied by your computer first..
    go to start menu then my computer and see if its there . if it is then try resortring it. if the updater doesnt reconize it then download this http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/serveroptions/us/download/23839.html utility to reformat it. when you reformat it make sure u see the right device it should read apple ipod -gb something like that make sure you do it under FAT 32 format and leave the boxes unchecked. it should take a minute or 2 . after you format it then try to update it agian using apple updater.
    see if that works ....if it doesnt let me know by posting here agian because idk how to check prvt messages and that stuff....

10. luvmuzik

luvmuzik Member

Finally, It worked. I was able to format it...thanks for everyones help. Starchy...I had to do just as you said, and it worked :)
    THNX EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP.

11. starchy

starchy Regular member

ur welcome

12. BBall2k1

BBall2k1 Member

Hi, just read this thread to get my non-working ipod working again. That HP tool did the trick! Thanks so much for saving me a trip to an apple store :D

13. starchy

starchy Regular member

ur welcome ( i found it out from arab_freaks tut on how to put linux on ur ipod nano )....it was very helpful to me as i messed it up like 982409284098098 times ...haha

14. koala79

koala79 Member

Hey there,

My problem seems a bit different - my nano IS recognised by the Ipod updater it is only ITunes that does not see it. The nano charges all fine, it is visible as Ipod under My Computer, it's just the ITunes that completely ignores it, so I can't tranfer any music onto it. It worked ok and all of a sudden it stopped. Can anyone shed some light?

15. starchy

starchy Regular member

uhhh did u register it ....also they have a new firmwarew updater( the ipod updater 6-28-06) maybe try restoring it with that because i had a similar problem .....so just try restoring it and registering it if you havent already

16. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Registering it doesn't matter. Restoring it might be a good idea, but which updater you use isn't of particular importance. I'd suggest using the 1.0 version, as it is the least glichy.

17. starchy

starchy Regular member

well now the new 1.2 firmware (nike+ipod) fixes some of the bugs idk if this is or not but i would just try restoring it no matter what.......
    (the new updater is free but u have to have an apple ID to get it of the apple website)

18. koala79

koala79 Member

Thanks for your help. Yes, I did register it when I first bought it (Nov last year) and it's been working ok since. I restored it, even tried formatting it with the HP tool recommended, after which I restored it again, no results. I have reinstalled iTunes a few times, done everything in line with the instruction here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93716, still no results. The problem remains - iTunes does not recognise iPod, Windows and Ipod updater do.

Any thoughts?

19. starchy

starchy Regular member

did you do everything in the list provided by apple....if not then do it cause when i had that problem i went throught it and then it worked if you did do everything then call apple i guess

EDIT:also there is away to update your music (only put in not takw out)for now....IF you have limewire i know you can do it but idk with any other thing ...but in limewire you would go to your library then click on ur music (the letters) and then hit explore then either select all the songs (you ipod should be empty so i would hit ctrl +a to select all) or some ....then right click>send to>your_ipod_name_here (drive spot)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  20. koala79

koala79 Member

thanks a lot starchy for the limewire tip, you're a genius!

I did not use limewire (wasn't even aware of its existence) and installed it after your suggestion. I followed the rest of the instruction and the instant I started transferring songs across, my ipod appeared on itunes. I dunno why it did not do so before, i tried everything suggested by apple with no luck whatsoever but now after several reconnections the ipod and itunes seem to cooperate again. Dont understand what happened here but on the other hand i didnt quite get it before either, guess we must take some things as they come :)