1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod nano doesn't update

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by luvmuzik, May 20, 2006.

1. starchy

starchy Regular member

limewire is away to download songs not solly for ipods....which means illegal(also i can give you the pro if the gen i have still works)

P.S. who ever wants it just PM me

2. Dhisamoto

Dhisamoto Guest

I sem to be having the same problem. I have a house computer and my ipod was connected there. Then i got a laptop and loaded it on my laptop (with the cd i was given) after insalling it on my house computer. Now when i plug it it it says Do not disconnect, and for hours does nothing. I don't know what to do... I was reading the responses and i tried..

"Try resetting your nano by holding down menu and play then connect it to your computer and see if it is recognized then.

If it isn't then you should try forcing your iPod into disk mode by holding down menu and play and then while the Apple logo is on the screen, holding down play and center until it says it is in disk mode. This should allow you to reinstall the firmware with the Apple iPod Updater, and will hopefully resolve your problem."

and my updater tool freezes... even when i'm online... I just don't understand why it's not working...

HELP... please.

3. starchy

starchy Regular member

ok umm did you register it if so then you most likely have an apple ID...go to http://www.apple.com and then log in and download the new nano updater....also is your nano reconized by anything (computer , itunes , updater) if not reconized in itunes try forcing it into disk mode and then with the hp formatting tool( here http://rapidshare.de/files/18004567/usb_format.exe.html )
    and then let it reboot then force it into disk mode and then update it

let me know if that works

4. markos92

markos92 Member

i get a problem saying ipod servive error when i plug it into ipod updater and then when i put it in itunes it says " The software required for communicating with the iPod is not installed correctly, please reinstall itunes and install it again,,,,, and ive doen that already but it still does the same thing it did before anyone know why?

5. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

I've had that problem before as well, are you moving the iPod Updater after you download it? If you download to desktop, for example, and then put it in a folder its no longer recognized for some reason.

6. starchy

starchy Regular member

not the new one ...... i have moved it several times

7. Ramack333

Ramack333 Member

Hello,
    I had the same problem. My itunes and ipod updater didnt recognize my nano. So I was unable to restore it. Whenever I plugged the nano into the comp it would freeze for a minute or so. I reinstalled itunes and did everything on the apple service page.

I downloaded that HP restore thing and it worked liek a charm.

You guys rawk!

Thanks

8. starchy

starchy Regular member

haha thanks

9. GrkKat

GrkKat Member

Hey Guys,

I need help with this topic. Here's my deal....

Yesterday my ipod was showing up in My COmputer when connected but would not connect with itunes. Just tried to download http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/serveroptions/us/download/23893 as starchy said to do but I didn't see anything asking about reformating, apple ipod, etc. So now my computer doesn't recognize my ipod and when I disconnect my ipod is shows the folder with exclimation point and says to go to www.apple.com/support/ipod.

Can anyone help and tell me what to try next? I tried everything twice on apples web site yesterday to try and get ipod and itunes to communicate but nothing. I'm about to give up and throw this thing away but really don't want to. Help please.

:(

10. Ramack333

Ramack333 Member

11. starchy

starchy Regular member

make sure its in disk mode when you do that too

12. puntr

puntr Member

ok so i was having the same problem of my ipod nano not being recognized by ANYTHING. so i dled the hp key thing which took long enough cuz of my crappy connection. but when i start the key thing i dont see anything about reformatting or FAT 32.

13. mattsplat

mattsplat Member

Hi guys,
    Seems like I'm having a similar problem - new ipod nano, worked fine at first and now my PC doesn't recognise it. I've tried everything I can possibly think of including the two formatting utilities previously mentioned. However, even they don't work beacause they don't see the ipod. The only thing I can think of is that things went wrong after a Windows update. Is there a link.....
    Matt

14. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Does the Nano still function properly? Have you tried forcing it into disk mode?

15. mattsplat

mattsplat Member

The nano functions fine provided it's not connected to the PC. I couldn't force it into disk mode.

16. mattsplat

mattsplat Member

OK. I've made progress. I've been able to get the nano into disk mode and the PC now recognises it. I've used the usb_format.exe to format it. I've used iTunes 7 to update and restore it. However, iTunes is still not recognising it. I can see it in Disk Management and I can eject it via My Computer but that's about it. What am I missing....?

Matt

17. starchy

starchy Regular member

Well so it is not reconized by itunes....haha ive been working on my friends last night but i got side tracked by some starburts and some funny phone calls and music....but anyway you have to reformat it which you said you did , restore it with the newest updater from apple.com (which requires you to have an apple ID when you register it you should get one) and then try to update it but if that doesnt work let me know cause i know a differnt way to add music ....

Also my friend whos Ipod I am fixing was fine until he got to Itunes 7 two days ago now its being tri sexual....maybe theres a bug or something with Itunes 7

18. ajscorpio

ajscorpio Member

19. mattsplat

mattsplat Member

Sorry guys. I left out a major omission from my last post. The nano can now be recognised by iTunes 7 and I can upload music but only when it's in disk mode. I now have a diferrent problem in that when I reset the pod to take it out of disk mode, it won't turn on - it just keeps cycling round the apple logo over and over again....

Matt

20. puntr

puntr Member

wow my luck is horrible. so i got my ipod nano working for a few days at last but then it completely got screwed and i had to return it to apple to get a new one (luckily i still had my warranty) anyway, i got a new one and now im faced with a new problem: the ipod nano shows up on "my computer" and the device manager but it just wont show up in itunes at all. ive alrdy reinstalled everything like 15 times (yea i have too much free time) anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?